Post a reply

Re: WAR IS OVER! RONNIE O'SULLIVAN IS THE GOAT!

Postby SnookerArcher

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Ck147 wrote:Ronnie not GOAT until he hits 8, right now he is joint GOAT. The WC is the only measure. Same in other sports, like F1 between Hammy and Schumacher. There will aways be an argument between numbers/stats but the only one that counts is the WC. We all know it. I can see Ronnie winning it again and settling the argument.

What a load of B.U.L.L.S.H.I.T.
Everything matters, not just the WC.
And the most succesful player in a sport ain't automatically the GOAT.That's the stupidest idea.Success depends on the era in which someone competed, the competition he faced, the equipment, etc.

Tiger Woods is the golf GOAT, despite not having more majors than Jack Nicklaus.
And the whinner Crymilton ain't even top 3 in F1, let alone the GOAT.
Ayrton Senna is the F1 GOAT.Schumacher and Fangio complete the top 3.
Michael Jordan is the NBA GOAT, despite having 6 NBA titles compared to Bill Russell's 11.

GOAT is about way more than just titles.

Very 1 dimensional view CK, John Higgins (I'd say Willo also) is better than Mark Selby, yes they both won the WT 4x & have the same TC count but Higgins has won more tournaments so far, just looking at their greatest wins is only looking at the surface of a career. Yes it's the most important measure no one will say otherwise, still though I'm betting most people would put Jimmy White above many world champions.

Snooker is easier to debate GOATs than teamsports, I don't subscribe to MJ being GOAT, never have but he's definitely in the shortlist. With the rule changes it's harder than it could be to compare proper plus it's silly to compare players of different positions as they fill different roles. Wilt Chamberlain definitely is individually better than Bill Russell but as a teamplayer Russell had his number almost every playoff, similarly I think LeBron is a better team player than MJ, also better all round just as Magic Johnson is a more versatile player too. I'm not basketball expert but if you had a weak team e.g. Cleveland Cavaliers for the first 7yrs of LeBron's career, he dragged that sorry team to the finals, LeBron is better for the team than MJ. MJ got nowhere for the first several years in contrast despite how great he was individually. But if you have a brilliant team e.g. the 90s Bulls then having someone very elite at their role like MJ or Curry (I hate him) gets the best result, over getting a more versatile player like LeBron or Magic.

Postby Ck147

SnookerArcher wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Ck147 wrote:Ronnie not GOAT until he hits 8, right now he is joint GOAT. The WC is the only measure. Same in other sports, like F1 between Hammy and Schumacher. There will aways be an argument between numbers/stats but the only one that counts is the WC. We all know it. I can see Ronnie winning it again and settling the argument.

What a load of B.U.L.L.S.H.I.T.
Everything matters, not just the WC.
And the most succesful player in a sport ain't automatically the GOAT.That's the stupidest idea.Success depends on the era in which someone competed, the competition he faced, the equipment, etc.

Tiger Woods is the golf GOAT, despite not having more majors than Jack Nicklaus.
And the whinner Crymilton ain't even top 3 in F1, let alone the GOAT.
Ayrton Senna is the F1 GOAT.Schumacher and Fangio complete the top 3.
Michael Jordan is the NBA GOAT, despite having 6 NBA titles compared to Bill Russell's 11.

GOAT is about way more than just titles.

Very 1 dimensional view CK, John Higgins (I'd say Willo also) is better than Mark Selby, yes they both won the WT 4x & have the same TC count but Higgins has won more tournaments so far, just looking at their greatest wins is only looking at the surface of a career. Yes it's the most important measure no one will say otherwise, still though I'm betting most people would put Jimmy White above many world champions.

Snooker is easier to debate GOATs than teamsports, I don't subscribe to MJ being GOAT, never have but he's definitely in the shortlist. With the rule changes it's harder than it could be to compare proper plus it's silly to compare players of different positions as they fill different roles. Wilt Chamberlain definitely is individually better than Bill Russell but as a teamplayer Russell had his number almost every playoff, similarly I think LeBron is a better team player than MJ, also better all round just as Magic Johnson is a more versatile player too. I'm not basketball expert but if you had a weak team e.g. Cleveland Cavaliers for the first 7yrs of LeBron's career, he dragged that sorry team to the finals, LeBron is better for the team than MJ. MJ got nowhere for the first several years in contrast despite how great he was individually. But if you have a brilliant team e.g. the 90s Bulls then having someone very elite at their role like MJ or Curry (I hate him) gets the best result, over getting a more versatile player like LeBron or Magic.

You’ve missed my point, after time no one cares about your comments, it all comes down to a number. Not just snooker but many other sports, just the way it is…sorry.

Postby Reg Varney

On that basis, Neil Robertson is on a par or equivalent with Graeme Dott, Cliff Thorburn and Joe Johnson then.

Postby badtemperedcyril

Reg Varney wrote:

On that basis, Neil Robertson is on a par or equivalent with Graeme Dott, Cliff Thorburn and Joe Johnson then.

Or even below them?

Thorburn and Dott each reached 3 world finals; Johnson reached 2. Robertson just the one.

Robertson (and Trump) are both massive underachievers in the WC but still have time to improve, of course.

Postby Johnny Bravo

badtemperedcyril wrote:
Reg Varney wrote:

Or even below them?

Thorburn and Dott each reached 3 world finals; Johnson reached 2. Robertson just the one.

Robertson (and Trump) are both massive underachievers in the WC but still have time to improve, of course.

Robbo and Trump are miles better than boring grinders like Thorburn and Dott.

Postby badtemperedcyril

Johnny Bravo wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:
Reg Varney wrote:

Or even below them?

Robbo and Trump are miles better than boring grinders like Thorburn and Dott.

It’s all well and good the great snooker authority Juliet Bravo saying so but it’s actually doing it at the Crucible that counts.

In the 12 WC’s since Robbo won his solitary world crown, Selby and Ronnie have won four each.

Postby vodkadiet1

There is no such thng as 'Greatest player of all time' as 'all time' hasn't happened yet.

O'Sullivan is the greatest player thus far.

If Planet Earth survives and snooker remains relevant for another thousand years then things will no doubt be different.

Postby Johnny Bravo

badtemperedcyril wrote:It’s all well and good the great snooker authority Juliet Bravo saying so but it’s actually doing it at the Crucible that counts.

In the 12 WC’s since Robbo won his solitary world crown, Selby and Ronnie have won four each.

Shut the buck up Cyrilla.
What the buck do ROS and Selby have to do with anything ?!?
We were comparing Robbo and Trump to grinders like Dott and Thorburn, not with ROS and Selbo.
Atm, Robbo and Trump are way better than Dott and Thorburn, it's not even close. Deal with it or go sulk in your bathroom. :mosh:

Postby badtemperedcyril

Johnny Bravo wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:It’s all well and good the great snooker authority Juliet Bravo saying so but it’s actually doing it at the Crucible that counts.

Shut the buck up Cyrilla.
What the buck do ROS and Selby have to do with anything ?!?
We were comparing Robbo and Trump to grinders like Dott and Thorburn, not with ROS and Selbo.
Atm, Robbo and Trump are way better than Dott and Thorburn, it's not even close. Deal with it or go sulk in your bathroom. :mosh:

Hahahahahaha - Ooooo you’re such an angry man! Who gives a flying buck what you think anyway?

And I’m not in the bathroom - I’m watching the all time greats Dott and Thorburn on YouTube.

Postby Holden Chinaski

vodkadiet1 wrote:There is no such thng as 'Greatest player of all time' as 'all time' hasn't happened yet.

If Planet Earth survives and snooker remains relevant for another thousand years then things will no doubt be different.
You are the biggest hammer of all time.

Postby vodkadiet1

Holden Chinaski wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:There is no such thng as 'Greatest player of all time' as 'all time' hasn't happened yet.

You are the biggest hammer of all time.

Not true. All time hasn't happened yet.....

I just explained that. Please keep up.

<ok>

Postby Iranu

vodkadiet1 wrote:When Nadal wins next year's Australian or French he will become the GOAT. Only Djokovic can overtake him. There will never be another player coming close to these figures for many years. Federer has no chance of winning another major.

vodkadiet1 wrote:Stephen Hendry is the GOAT. He proved that when he won his 7th World Title when the pressure was at its greatest and the semi final line up at The Crucible was its strongest ever.

O'Sullivan has continually bottled it over the last 6 years because he hasn't coped with the pressure.

And please don't tell me about this 19 majors nonsense. There is only one major in snooker and it isn't The UK!

vodkadiet1 wrote:All this talk of O'Sullivan being The GOAT is only talk until he equals Hendry's 7 World Titles.

Perhaps you should explain it to yourself?

Postby vodkadiet1

Iranu wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:When Nadal wins next year's Australian or French he will become the GOAT. Only Djokovic can overtake him. There will never be another player coming close to these figures for many years. Federer has no chance of winning another major.

vodkadiet1 wrote:Stephen Hendry is the GOAT. He proved that when he won his 7th World Title when the pressure was at its greatest and the semi final line up at The Crucible was its strongest ever.

O'Sullivan has continually bottled it over the last 6 years because he hasn't coped with the pressure.

And please don't tell me about this 19 majors nonsense. There is only one major in snooker and it isn't The UK!

vodkadiet1 wrote:All this talk of O'Sullivan being The GOAT is only talk until he equals Hendry's 7 World Titles.

Perhaps you should explain it to yourself?

Minds are like parachutes. They only work if you open them. This includes correcting oneself. Although this has never happened to you as you are perfect in every sense.

I just cannot believe you go to such lengths to find quotes made on this pretty meaningless forum. Whatever gets you through the day lad....

Postby Iranu

It took about two minutes pal. Yeah, super strenuous; a real marathon of the mind and body.

You clearly go through far more effort to find ways to avoid calling Ronnie the GOAT. Interesting timing for you to “open your mind” to the knowledge that the bucking future exists! :-)

Postby Acé

Ck147 wrote:You’ve missed my point, after time no one cares about your comments, it all comes down to a number. Not just snooker but many other sports, just the way it is…sorry.

Agreed

Walter Donaldson is greater than Neil Robertson

Postby SnookerArcher

Ck147 wrote:
You’ve missed my point, after time no one cares about your comments, it all comes down to a number. Not just snooker but many other sports, just the way it is…sorry.

You've further proven my point how shallow that view is, or you're pointing out people are shallow with things that are distant history. So Joe Davis is the GOAT of snooker as is Bill Russell of NBA or Michael Phelps for olympics just by their wins. Not forgetting how damn similar swimming events are so to dominate multiple events in swimming is much more possible than anyother sport but the shallow picture is he's to date the GOAT olympian with his gold haul when it's just not possible to win that many in other sports.

Postby badtemperedcyril

Acé wrote:
Ck147 wrote:You’ve missed my point, after time no one cares about your comments, it all comes down to a number. Not just snooker but many other sports, just the way it is…sorry.

Agreed

Walter Donaldson is greater than Neil Robertson

Agreed.

Donaldson reached eight consecutive World Finals. He’d have Robbo’s pants down.

Postby Iranu

Holden Chinaski wrote:Ronnie’s not only the GOAT, he’s also on the same level as Muhammad Ali, Michael Jordan, and Tiger Woods.

They wish

Postby badtemperedcyril

“Walter Lindrum conquered billiards perhaps more thoroughly than any other sportsman has ever done in his chosen sport”. (Clive Everton)

It’s been a few years since he made that statement but it probably still stands true. Lindrum was so good at billiards that at his peak, he was giving such notable players as Joe Davis, Tom Newman and Clark McConachy, 10,000 start in a fortnights match and still beating them comfortably.

He was so far ahead of his rivals that after beating Davis for his second world title in 1934 (he only entered twice), the championship wasn’t even contested until he relinquished the title in 1951 - quite simply, nobody considered it worthwhile as they knew they stood no chance against him.

His highest break was 4,137, made at Thurston’s, Leicester Square in 1932.

Postby Holden Chinaski

badtemperedcyril wrote:“Walter Lindrum conquered billiards perhaps more thoroughly than any other sportsman has ever done in his chosen sport”. (Clive Everton)

It’s been a few years since he made that statement but it probably still stands true. .

Clive wrote a book about Ronnie titled 'Simply the Best!'. Nuff said.

Postby badtemperedcyril

Holden Chinaski wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:“Walter Lindrum conquered billiards perhaps more thoroughly than any other sportsman has ever done in his chosen sport”. (Clive Everton)

It’s been a few years since he made that statement but it probably still stands true. .

He meant the best at snooker. Nuff said.

Postby badtemperedcyril

Holden Chinaski wrote:

Postby Holden Chinaski

badtemperedcyril wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

This is a snooker forum and a thread about who’s the snooker GOAT. Nuff said.