Post a reply

Re: WAR IS OVER! RONNIE O'SULLIVAN IS THE GOAT!

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:Ronnie’s not only the GOAT, he’s also on the same level as Muhammad Ali, Michael Jordan, and Tiger Woods.

Well, I should think so.

None of those three were any good at snooker.

Postby Georgi1914

Holden Chinaski wrote:Ronnie’s not only the GOAT, he’s also on the same level as Muhammad Ali, Michael Jordan, and Tiger Woods.

I would add Wayne Gretzky to this list :) Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps and Aleksandr Karelin are worth mentioning too.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Georgi1914 wrote:

I would add Wayne Gretzky to this list :) Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps and Aleksandr Karelin are worth mentioning too.

Again, Ali does not belong there.

Postby SnookerEd25

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Georgi1914 wrote:

Again, Ali does not belong there.

It is a subjective list, not an exact science, so whether he ‘belongs’ there is irrelevant; the person making the list has the call on whether to include a name at his or her discretion. You then have the entitlement to debate it if you so wish.

Similarly, some may believe that making lists such as this is a redundant exercise; again, that is their prerogative. Who are we to say otherwise?

Postby mick745

Well said.

Some sports stars transcend sport, they become more famous and bigger than their sport, a household name and famous enough in their own right for people who may not necessarily like or follow sport (my mum for example).

Ali would be in this category, Tiger Woods as well and David Beckham. Maybe Usain Bolt.

I do doubt whether Wayne Gretzky or Aleksandr Karelin would pass the 'household name' test though.

Postby Iranu

Wayne Gretzky would absolutely pass the household name test in some parts of the world - places where Ronnie wouldn’t.

Maybe even other parts due to the proliferation of US media (I know Gretzky’s Canadian but he is mentioned quite a lot on US TV.)

Postby Dan-cat

Iranu wrote:Wayne Gretzky would absolutely pass the household name test in some parts of the world - places where Ronnie wouldn’t.

Maybe even other parts due to the proliferation of US media (I know Gretzky’s Canadian but he is mentioned quite a lot on US TV.)

You only regret the goats you didn’t take.

Postby TheRocket

For me the greatest and most legendary sportsmen are the ones who are being the best and being an entertainer at the same time. Who win a lot and make the game look effortless at the same time. Greatness and Artistry if you like. There are only a few. Ronnie is one of them.

Postby Iranu

Dan-cat wrote:
Iranu wrote:Wayne Gretzky would absolutely pass the household name test in some parts of the world - places where Ronnie wouldn’t.

You only regret the goats you didn’t take.

You also miss 100% of them

Postby Iranu

Juddernaut88 wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:No one has mentioned Federer or Nadal.

Tennis doesn’t need to be mentioned in every conversation!

STFU Iranu.

Now THAT needs to be mentioned in every conversation.

Postby SnookerEd25

Iranu wrote:

Tennis doesn’t need to be mentioned in every conversation!

Keep talking Iranu <ok>

Postby mick745

They would pass the household name test, Federer probably more so than Nadal though.

McEnroe and Borg from bygone eras too.

Serena Williams possibly the only (recent) female player who would fall into this category. Not sure how much fame the current female no 1 has outside the tennis world. Probably not much.

Postby Iranu

mick745 wrote:

They would pass the household name test, Federer probably more so than Nadal though.

Serena Williams possibly the only (recent) female player who would fall into this category. Not sure how much fame the current female no 1 has outside the tennis world. Probably not much.

Sharapova would too, as would Venus.

Postby mick745

Iranu wrote:
mick745 wrote:

Sharapova would too, as would Venus.

Graf and Navratilova as well. But not many really. It is a pretty exclusive club.

Postby Georgi1914

I only mentioned popular stars that are widely regarded as undisputed GOATs in their respective sports. Although I am a huge fan of Rafa Nadal, it's still a close call between him, Federer and Djokovic. I do believe that Nadal will have the most GS titles when the 3 of them are retired (with a convinsingly positive h2h statistics against his 2 biggest rivals in GS matches), however currently the debate is far from being over despite the fact that Rafa has 22 GS titles now and the other 2 have 20 each. Djokovic is still a dangerous contender for the most prestigious record in tennis. In my opinion Cristiano and Messi are equally great and the 2 biggest players ever in the game. And the only 2 other footballers that could be mentioned in the same sentence with Ronaldo and Messi are Pele and Maradona. I think that each one of them has had a remarkable impact on the game and some of their records are just brutal. Formula 1 is another sport I love and my personal opinion is the same as the one that is most widely shared among F1 fans - Senna and Schumacher are untouchable at the top! But still a debate who the GOAT is, although according to some statistics Senna is actually slightly better.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:What a thread.

War is over though, Holden.

Peace has been achieved.

Let us never fight again <ok>

Postby RunningSide

The_Abbott wrote:I've lost respect for Ronnie. I will always like wataching him play but the way he talks about other players is disgusting and disrespectful.

Me too, still one to watch but last few years tune out when cue goes away.