Post a reply

Snooker on Youtube

Postby Holden Chinaski

Why is it almost impossible to find full snooker matches on Youtube these days? These days all you find is those short-form matches where they cut from one shot to another, which sucks because the commentary gets cut mid-sentence.

Re: Snooker on Youtube

Postby Prop

I think they get taken down. BBC, ES etc won’t like it.

Remember Tequila? That was a brilliant channel. And they pulled it. Seems there was a concerted effort a couple of years ago to remove accounts like that.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Prop wrote:I think they get taken down. BBC, ES etc won’t like it.

Remember Tequila? That was a brilliant channel. And they pulled it. Seems there was a concerted effort a couple of years ago to remove accounts like that.

:-( Tequila was brilliant.

Postby The_Abbott

Its stupid really because I understand that companies don't like TV shows and films on there as they are copyrighted and people can watch something they own for free. But nobody screens snooker repeats (unless its Ronnie's 147, Cliff's 147 or 85 final) so they remain a distant memory lost in the BBC/ES archives

Postby Iranu

You should be able to watch any snooker match that was broadcast on Eurosport, on Discovery Plus.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Iranu wrote:You should be able to watch any snooker match that was broadcast on Eurosport, on Discovery Plus.

I have Eurosport Player so I can watch on that. But I miss snooker on Youtube. Great channels like Tequila, and the comments section...

Postby Iranu

I never really watch matches back anyway. Only compilations.

Postby Cloud Strife

Isn't Tequila, Alex0paul? Or was he pretending to be? I remember reading that on here a few years ago.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Cloud Strife wrote:

Isn't Tequila, Alex0paul? Or was he pretending to be? I remember reading that on here a few years ago.

Yeah he was pretending.

Postby Cloud Strife

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

Yeah he was pretending.

Ah, OK. Not sure why he would do that, but I guess it takes all sorts.

Postby Alex0paul

A lot of mjt snooker’s videos are being taken down too

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:You should be able to watch any snooker match that was broadcast on Eurosport, on Discovery Plus.

As you know, on the first Saturday evening I couldn’t even watache Ronnie’s first match a few hours after he’d played it. The organisation from BBC and ES in terms of their streaming services is terrible.

If they’re so picky about taking down YouTube videos they need to get their own ship in order first.

Postby LDS

It's all an automated process unfortunately. It's not anyone taking things down, it's Youtube's GraemeBott. And that bot has been fed data from the original publishers.

So if the bot matches any data from one publisher to any video not associated with that publisher, it gets hit, regardless of content.

A bit like deep sea fishing trawlers, they go fishing for cod and scoop up dolphins while they're at it. It's quite horrific really.

Postby McManusFan

When I was living in Australia, youtube mataches were a lifeline, sometimes you've got to sleep! I'd typically only stay up for big finals.

Postby rekoons

Cesar muroyas YT snooker channel is very watachable and still online.

Postby Holden Chinaski

rekoons wrote:Cesar muroyas YT snooker channel is very watachable and still online.

Thanks, I will check that out!

Postby SnookerEd25

Shame about the camera angle. Clearly filmed on someone’s phone :sad:

But great footage. Amazing how old Fred looked even then - 32years before he took a frame off Ronnie O’Sullivan :chuckle:

Used the loop bridge at one point, which surprised me , and a nice left-handed shot on the yellow to avoid using the rest. Interesting to note too how hard he hit some shots with barely any movement on the cue-ball - nowadays it would be flying round the table from shots like that!

Great stuff :clap:

Postby badtemperedcyril

Fred would’ve been 46 here. He was in Australia to play in the BA&CC sanctioned “World Open Championship”, which he won easily.

This exhibition took place after that tournament at the Festival Hall, Melbourne.

Postby MarcoStaiano

badtemperedcyril wrote:Fred would’ve been 46 here. He was in Australia to play in the BA&CC sanctioned “World Open Championship”, which he won easily.

This exhibition took place after that tournament at the Festival Hall, Melbourne.

I was waiting to find someone talking about that here, I was sure!

I'd love to see more of Fred in his prime, even if probably impossible. Lot of people think he was slower than Joe, but if you look at this video, he looks really fast.

Although it's only a break-off, I finally saw Warren Simpson in action. Wonder if there are more footages of him.

Don't know why I'm sure that his story (like Norman Squires' one) would be great for a book!

Postby LDS

That's a truly wonderful video. Words cannot express how great it is to see one of the all time greats actually being great and allowing everyone to see that snooker has had geniuses for all it's history.

My only dilemma now is whether to replace Fred's WSC 1970s televised century with this video when I remake the updated Top 269 World Snooker Championship Legends 1927-2020 to be 1927-2023. It's so good and so much more apt for his era, but it's not a WSC match, and not even a technically correct snooker game, but, oh my, the artistic license is so tempting to use, it's such a great vid!