Post a reply

Paul Collier is back

Postby Monique

Paul put this on FB this morning
After nearly 5 years away i've agreed to work for World Snooker again. Im at PTC3 in sheffield and actually really enjoying it! (except for the awful hotel i booked into, need to find somewhere else today)

:ba: :ba: :ba: :ba: :ba:

Re: Paul Collier is back

Postby Wildey

Brilliant News

Paul is a great ref <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

jafinkesaurus wrote:yay my fav ref is back. sorry jan.

Not as pretty as Michaela Tabb.

But welcome back PC. :ba: Hopefully we'll see you as some televised tournaments soon.

Postby N_Castle07

<ok> its not just the players who will see there bank balance rise with all these new events.

Postby Casey

Why did he leave in the first place and why was he asked back? I am sure Referees are plentiful.

Postby Monique

Referees are NOT plentiful. Their wages are ridiculous and they have very long days.

Postby Casey

Monique wrote:Referees are NOT plentiful. Their wages are ridiculous and they have very long days.

How many referees are needed for a season? 15 maybe? My point is he left and that opportunity would have been given to someone else, someone else to ref big games where by hopefully they can earn a living.

Why not promote one of the younger refs?

Postby Monique

They do. They recently promoted Dominik Haug from Germany. I think you underestimate the number of refs needed, especially during qualifs and tournaments like PTCs with 8 tables busy.
You must have backups also in case of problem (illness, strikes, volcanos, snow stopping the Eurostar ... you name it! ;))

Postby Casey

Don’t mention Volcano’s :grrr:

Well that’s good that young referees are still able to get through the ranks.

Postby SnookerFan

case_master wrote:
Monique wrote:Referees are NOT plentiful. Their wages are ridiculous and they have very long days.

How many referees are needed for a season? 15 maybe? My point is he left and that opportunity would have been given to someone else, someone else to ref big games where by hopefully they can earn a living.

Why not promote one of the younger refs?

Ah yes, the PTC. The very definition of a big game. <laugh>

More seriously, while we are talking about it, does Patricia Murphy referee any of these games? Just out of curiousity. How much snooker does she actually do as opposed to pool.

Postby Noel

Given her obvious appeal, I think the future of this avocation under Barry Hearn could
well be determined not by whether, but by when Michaela Tabb starts her
School of Cuesport Refereeing for Young Ladies

N :evilgrin: EL

Postby Wildey

the EPTC will be using a lot of european refs over the next few months and then they will be assesing them.

we need more refs in the game as monique says its pittance for long hours i think for the PTC you need 16 refs doing the last 128 and 16 refs doing the last 64 and last 32 so really you need 32 refs because its a very long day if a ref that referees a 9am start ends up reffing a match that finishes at 3am.