Post a reply

Mr Condescension

Postby shanew48

Looks a big price to me to win this years WC @ 75/1 so have laid out £20 on Murphy, he admittedly has a tough match first up against "on fire " bearing in mind Mcguire is still presumably furious about being grassed up all those years ago but if Murphy can get through that match then who knows, he made the final last year so like I say it seemed a big price to me. So let's see!

Re: Mr Condescension

Postby badtemperedcyril

It is a huge price. I’d hate to see him win it but there’s no doubting his Crucible credentials. Luca Brecel is shorter odds and he’s never even won a match there.

Postby shanew48

badtemperedcyril wrote:It is a huge price. I’d hate to see him win it but there’s no doubting his Crucible credentials. Luca Brecel is shorter odds and he’s never even won a match there.

Indeed, like I say, was shocked to see him marked up at that price bearing in mind his 2nd round match would be against the winner of the Xintong/Clarke match, then if a few of the bigger seeds go out which they always do then who knows, he would just then need a 7 day period of those long shots continuingly going in and before you know it he could go very close, at the worst you wikll have plenty of scope to lay off the bet come the quarters/semi's.

Postby Yanfan

shanew48 wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:It is a huge price. I’d hate to see him win it but there’s no doubting his Crucible credentials. Luca Brecel is shorter odds and he’s never even won a match there.

Indeed, like I say, was shocked to see him marked up at that price bearing in mind his 2nd round match would be against the winner of the Xintong/Clarke match, then if a few of the bigger seeds go out which they always do then who knows, he would just then need a 7 day period of those long shots continuingly going in and before you know it he could go very close, at the worst you wikll have plenty of scope to lay off the bet come the quarters/semi's.

I put £5 to win on Jackson Page at 250 to 1.

Just for fun. :-)

Postby Ck147

Shane loses 20 quid, YanFan is a millionaire, what you going to spend your winnings on YanFan?

Postby Iranu

Ck147 wrote:Shane loses 20 quid, YanFan is a millionaire, what you going to spend your winnings on YanFan?

Postby Ck147

Iranu wrote:
Ck147 wrote:Shane loses 20 quid, YanFan is a millionaire, what you going to spend your winnings on YanFan?

Bit harsh there Iranu, I was thinking this:

Postby Yanfan

I've already managed to buy a car, so maybe some driving lessons and a tank of petrol. <laugh>

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick, but why would I want a stairlift or an invalid carriage. Is it a joke about my age? I'm a bit slow this morning. :?

I should never have agreed to go on that 10k run yesterday. I was out of condition and I am feeling it today. My legs feel like bits of bamboo covered in jelly. <doh>

Postby shanew48

Very disappointing performance, still think that on paper it was a good value bet but couldn't have legislated for him playing like a poor club player including touching the balls with his fat fingers so in fact a bit like a highly intoxicated poor club player!

Probably wasn't the best idea him doing commentary stints in the day of playing as it must use up mental energy but you can't tell Shaun something he doesn't already know can you!

Should have backed Ronnie at 6/1 instead which seems a decent price presuming he doesn't start misbehaving too much, not for the first time proving that "ambassadorial" (presumably this is the kind of conduct along with constantly being disrespectful to your fellow professionals, something a true ambassador would never do but I don't think he can actually help it as his narcissism just can't be held in at times, that has stopped him winning SPOTY even though his achievements arguably warrant it) he is not!:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/other ... sture.html

Postby Reg Varney

shanew48 wrote:
Should have backed Ronnie at 6/1 instead which seems a decent price presuming he doesn't start misbehaving too much, not for the first time proving that "ambassadorial" (presumably this is the kind of conduct along with constantly being disrespectful to your fellow professionals, something a true ambassador would never do but I don't think he can actually help it as his narcissism just can't be held in at times, that has stopped him winning SPOTY even though his achievements arguably warrant it) he is not!:

Postby Prop

Whoever branded Ronnie O’Sullivan an ambassador for snooker needs to give their head a rattle. He never has been, never will be, and certainly doesn’t see himself as one.

Of course, it does happen to provide people with a grudge against him a means of creating some sort of ‘constructive’ criticism. It’s absolute bullocks, and anyone using it facilitate their obsessive condemnation of the man should find another interest and buck off from snooker for good.

Postby Cloud Strife

Prop wrote:Whoever branded Ronnie O’Sullivan an ambassador for snooker needs to give their head a rattle. He never has been, never will be, and certainly doesn’t see himself as one.

Of course, it does happen to provide people with a grudge against him a means of creating some sort of ‘constructive’ criticism. It’s absolute bullocks, and anyone using it facilitate their obsessive condemnation of the man should find another interest and buck off from snooker for good.

:goodpost:

Postby Iranu

Prop wrote:Whoever branded Ronnie O’Sullivan an ambassador for snooker needs to give their head a rattle. He never has been, never will be, and certainly doesn’t see himself as one.

I don’t think it’s a case of him being branded an ambassador.

Being an ambassador is a side-effect of being a successful sportsperson, whether that sportsperson likes it or not.

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:

Being an ambassador is a side-effect of being a successful sportsperson, whether that sportsperson likes it or not.

But in O’Sullivan’s case, he’s been overtly anti-establishment for decades. Anyone that vaguely knows the sport knows this. It’s a huge part of his character, and probably contributes towards his appeal to many fans of the game.

Selby, Robbo, Hendry, Davis… sure. You could call them ambassadors. But it doesn’t take much reading in between the lines to know that putting Ronnie in that bracket just doesn’t fit one bit.

Postby shanew48

shanew48 wrote:

Very disappointing performance, still think that on paper it was a good value bet but couldn't have legislated for him playing like a poor club player including touching the balls with his fat fingers so in fact a bit like a highly intoxicated poor club player!

Probably wasn't the best idea him doing commentary stints in the day of playing as it must use up mental energy but you can't tell Shaun something he doesn't already know can you!

And rhetoric such as the type used below certainly will not dampen down the aforementioned narcissism!:

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/snooker/wor ... tory.shtml

Postby shanew48

Presumably Murphy would have been disgusted to see any amateurs qualify for this years WC, he definitely lost a lot of credibility after his anti amateur rant, so much so that he now has, as one of this country's most distinguished orators would likely opine, "the status of a plumb"

Postby HustleKing

shanew48 wrote:Presumably Murphy would have been disgusted to see any amateurs qualify for this years WC, he definitely lost a lot of credibility after his anti amateur rant, so much so that he now has, as one of this country's most distinguished orators would likely opine, "the status of a plumb"

What a hypocrite is, Murphy treating playing the game as an amateur sport and treating commentary and punditry as if that's where he makes his money

Postby shanew48

Shaun Murphy Thinks Yan Bingtao Has Yet to Prove Himself on the Big Stage

Controversial or fair?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycLamo5 ... ryanglzIII

Maybe I'm being unfair but have always wondered if Jordan Brown would have won that final in front of a full crowd of which 99% are against him? it certainly brings a much different dynamic to proceedings doesn't it.

Postby Ck147

Yan has proved himself, Murphy needs to go back to smurph town as the shunned ignorable buck wit smurph he is and get fed to Gargamels cat. (I’m sure he’s lovely in real life.)

Postby shanew48

Prop wrote:
Iranu wrote:

But in O’Sullivan’s case, he’s been overtly anti-establishment for decades. Anyone that vaguely knows the sport knows this. It’s a huge part of his character, and probably contributes towards his appeal to many fans of the game.

Selby, Robbo, Hendry, Davis… sure. You could call them ambassadors. But it doesn’t take much reading in between the lines to know that putting Ronnie in that bracket just doesn’t fit one bit.

Surely anyone who is truly anti establishment would refuse an OBE wouldn't they? I presume Ronnie would refuse a knighthood if one was offered as going to the palace and bending the knee to receive OBE's and knighthoods is diametrically opposed to an anti establishment mindset/stance no?

Postby Prop

shanew48 wrote:
Prop wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Surely anyone who is truly anti establishment would refuse an OBE wouldn't they? I presume Ronnie would refuse a knighthood if one was offered as going to the palace and bending the knee to receive OBE's and knighthoods is diametrically opposed to an anti establishment mindset/stance no?

Yeah you’d think so. Maybe he’s a fan of the royals but otherwise anti-establishment :chin: Nah. I don’t have Ronnie down as a royalist. Maybe Layla persuaded him. Maybe he’s been trolling us all this time. Maybe he likes medals.

I just don’t know.