Post a reply

Re: Breaking - BBC Licence Fee axed 2027 TCs to be affected?

Postby Iranu

LDS wrote:
Iranu wrote:Probably best I get don’t get into the rest of your post LDS <laugh> but why would snooker players have to adhere to inclusivity brackets? What other sports do that?

What other sports on the BBC?

I don't know, I don't watch the beeb enough to know what other sports they even have 'as their own' any more. :shrug:

If you’re asking if other sports have as comprehensive BBC coverage as snooker does, the answer is no. Possibly Athletics? I’m not sure why that’s a bad thing for snooker. And you haven’t really answered my question as to why snooker players would have to conform to inclusivity brackets.

Wimbledon coverage for example is still overwhelmingly white, as is the tennis tour.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

During last years Olympics BBC's coverage was downgraded compared to previous games with a lot of the coverage exclusive to Eurosport/Discovery. This included all the extra tv channels that BBC had in 2012/16 but were now Eurosport. That could be what happens to the BBC events in Snooker. Limited coverage with Discovery as the main broadcaster.

Postby LDS

Iranu wrote:
LDS wrote:
McManusFan wrote:Sure it could do more

I'm not sure 'doing more' is something that has any long term effect. :shrug:

Why aren’t you sure?

Nothing has yet convinced me :shrug:

Take Judd, for example, bless his cotton socks. He wants to change things, to 'do more' in a certain direction that is different to current situation, some people think he's silly, some people agree. I think whatever you do to actively 'do more' to change something, then it would involve less of one thing and more of another, which still ends up at an equal sum scenario. Sure change something, but often it's just change for changes sake.

Not always, of course, sometimes a situation emerges where something literally has to be done, like the betting scandals or total management changes & what not. But general tinkering, I dunno. We can't wave a magic wand and suddenly a genius female player emerges just as we can't wave a magic wand and convert snooker into a darts atmosphere. You know what I mean.

Postby Iranu

LDS wrote:Nothing has yet convinced me :shrug:

Take Judd, for example, bless his cotton socks. He wants to change things, to 'do more' in a certain direction that is different to current situation, some people think he's silly, some people agree. I think whatever you do to actively 'do more' to change something, then it would involve less of one thing and more of another, which still ends up at an equal sum scenario. Sure change something, but often it's just change for changes sake.

Hmm. I don’t think that’s really comparable with inclusivity. Judd wants those things because of his own personal opinion, not as a reflection of changes in wider society (however much he might dress it up as being ‘for young fans’) even if it does go on to have wider benefits. I’d also argue that Judd’s not the best example you could use because his words have caused, or at least contributed to, change. Long term change, obviously too early to say. But if Virgo and Taylor are really going at the end of this season that’s by necessity a long term change.
LDS wrote:Not always, of course, sometimes a situation emerges where something literally has to be done, like the betting scandals or total management changes & what not. But general tinkering, I dunno. We can't wave a magic wand and suddenly a genius female player emerges just as we can't wave a magic wand and convert snooker into a darts atmosphere. You know what I mean.

I’m not really sure what you’re saying here, because increased representation isn’t supposed to be waving a magic wand. The whole point is that it IS long term, like you say.

Seeing Reanne Evans playing snooker on TV will make snooker seem more accessible to young girls than it currently does. And because of that, more girls might take up snooker than do currently. And because of that, clubs will start to drift away from the toxic “no women allowed” environments that many currently are - to the extent that women can’t play in several league matches - which is both a good thing for society and a good thing for snooker because fewer girls who want to play snooker will be turned away, or discouraged, or frozen out. Which will increase the standard of the women’s tour and should over time lead to more female players on TV on the main tour and eventually female snooker players being a normal thing rather than an event. For similar reasons I’d be surprised and disappointed if the WPBSA aren’t working to improve for example racial diversity among young snooker players.

It’s nothing to do with magically generating a ‘genius’ female player. It’s about normalising good ones.

Does this have to be done? No, at least not in the same way as addressing betting scandals (which feels like a bit of a bizarre comparison). Is there any reason why it shouldn’t? No. Is there any reason why it should? Several, but if nothing else it increases the potential talent pool which in itself is a good reason, right?

Postby Iranu

LDS wrote:
Iranu wrote:I’d be surprised and disappointed if the WPBSA aren’t working to improve for example racial diversity among young snooker players.

Whack them over the head with a truncheon and chain them to a snooker table?

Yes, that is the only way to improve diversity.

Postby LDS

Iranu wrote:
LDS wrote:
Iranu wrote:I’d be surprised and disappointed if the WPBSA aren’t working to improve for example racial diversity among young snooker players.

Whack them over the head with a truncheon and chain them to a snooker table?

Yes, that is the only way to improve diversity.

Well? I didn't see you actually make any suggestions, apart from saying all the current toxic snooker players should naff off to make room for non-toxic snooker players, equal sum. Apart from telling XYZ people to naff off, what would you physically do to encourage whichever random sub-culture to play more snooker?

Postby Iranu

LDS wrote:Well? I didn't see you actually make any suggestions, apart from saying all the current toxic snooker players should naff off to make room for non-toxic snooker players, equal sum. Apart from telling XYZ people to naff off, what would you physically do to encourage whichever random sub-culture to play more snooker?

Sorry but I’m not sure why you’re asking me for suggestions. I’m sure the WPBSA have ideas in place, if not currently ongoing efforts, to do so. If I was questioning their efforts I’d understand you challenging me. I also didn’t say what you’re suggesting I did. If you’re going to wilfully misrepresent then please just don’t respond at all.

How are different races a “sub-culture”?