Post a reply

Re: Greatest matches 1976-2021: Snooker Island decides

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:Johnny - did you like watching Tornado Drago?
You like your flair players, seems he would have been right up your street, at his best :chin:

Drago was good to watch in my opinion <ok>

I’ve never really had ‘favourites’ (bar Cliff Wilson, of course), which I find quite beneficial in wataching the sport as I’m almost always rooting for the player who is behind in the hope of a dramatic decider. I have had a few players down the years I didn’t really like - some, because they came across as not very pleasant individuals, others because although they may have seemed decent enough in themselves, I just never took to their style of play - so was generally happy if and when they lost.

Possible exception to this rule is peak Drago who, at one point was my absolute favourite to watach. I was convinced it would hold together long enough for him to win a Ranker and for a while backed that belief with cold hard cash (odds were always long), until such time as my sanity and - perhaps more important my bank balance - could sustain it no longer :sad:

Postby mick745

Pink Ball wrote:Mick745 becomes the seventh person to submit a list. At least 39 matches will now appear in the countdown.

I have been watching snooker since about 1982/3, it was so so hard picking just ten, so many thrilling matches i had to reluctantly leave out, on another day the choices may have been completely different but I'm content with my submission.

Postby Pink Ball

We are now just two months from the deadline. At this point, 10 Snooker Island posters have submitted their votes, a very healthy number, but I'm hoping for big numbers so we get a proper reflection of the Island's view. Anyone who submits votes, I'll be hugely grateful.

Postby Juddernaut88

mantorok wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Si Bot would like to submit Matthew Selt's recent win.

It doesn't meet the criteria I'm afraid.

Call this a long shot but I think he was joking.

Well it was a very poor attempt of a joke to be honest.

Postby SnookerFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:
mantorok wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:

Oh buck off.

You're a very poor attempt at a poster.

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:
mantorok wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:

Oh buck off.

You're a very poor attempt at a poster.

rofl I love you too.

Postby vodkadiet1

Pink Ball wrote:Good evening, ladies and gentleman.

Over recent years, you may have enjoyed my countdown series, updated annually, of the top 125 matches since 1980 (when I began watching).

On the eve of the 2022 World Championship, I will count down the greatest matches of the modern era (from the 1976-77 season up to and including all of the year 2021), but as voted for by you, the posters. Simply select your 10 greatest matches, PM them to me, and I will reveal how the voting went afterwards.

Order your list from 1 to 10, and points will be awarded according to the Formula One points system: 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2, 1.

All the matches you select must be at least best of 17 frames in length, and the gaps between the two players can not have been more than follows:

Up to and including best of 21: two frames (maximum gaps of 9-7, 10-8, 11-9)
From best of 23 to best of 27: three frames (maximum gaps of 12-9, 13-10, 14-11, 15-12)
Best of 31 to best of 35: four frames (maximum gaps of 16-12, 17-13, 18-14)

You must submit your votes BEFORE Friday, April 15, 2022.

Happy voting, and remember, submit your scores via PM, not on this thread!

Has there even been a match that was best of 29? 15-12 would be such a match.