Post a reply

Re: Members High Break Scoreboard

Postby Smart

Sonny wrote:Nice story renniwevarb, it brought back the feeling of being on your highest break. It is weird when you beat your previous best by a big margin like over 10 points, I've done it a couple of times and once you get past the magic number you relax a bit. That's why I know when I do eventually get a century break I'll carry on potting balls so my first proper century could be over 130 for all I know. I've broken down so many times in the 80's and 90's just because of that mental barrier. And every time I've beaten my best break I couldn't sleep that night as I'm replaying the whole thing over and over in head. <laugh>

It sounds like you're on the right path and if you're a brave winner and you keep practicing then you'll get a century break.

I'm still actually pretty stunned that so far I've not managed to get one because I've beaten heavily many a century break maker in my time. :redneck: I know how to play the game of snooker though which is what stands me in good stead, it's more than just breaks. I know my positional play lets me down at times though hence I guess no centuries.

Right, this thread - rather than keep having to update the first post, I'll get the information from the members list (as you can see there is a Highest Break section of your profile). Some liars will be found out :redneck:

Sonny - I think you are saying you are a bit of a choker/bottler. <ok>

Postby Tubberlad

I missed a black off it's spot on 49, Christmas 2004. Straight up: it was as bad a choke as you sould see, I was shaking. Played it with Matthew Stevens' left hand. I gave up playing a couple of weeks later, and the local club has since shut down. Would have to travel about 45 minutes to get to the nearest one.

Postby Roland

StalinESQ wrote:
Sonny wrote:Nice story renniwevarb, it brought back the feeling of being on your highest break. It is weird when you beat your previous best by a big margin like over 10 points, I've done it a couple of times and once you get past the magic number you relax a bit. That's why I know when I do eventually get a century break I'll carry on potting balls so my first proper century could be over 130 for all I know. I've broken down so many times in the 80's and 90's just because of that mental barrier. And every time I've beaten my best break I couldn't sleep that night as I'm replaying the whole thing over and over in head. <laugh>

It sounds like you're on the right path and if you're a brave winner and you keep practicing then you'll get a century break.

I'm still actually pretty stunned that so far I've not managed to get one because I've beaten heavily many a century break maker in my time. :redneck: I know how to play the game of snooker though which is what stands me in good stead, it's more than just breaks. I know my positional play lets me down at times though hence I guess no centuries.

Right, this thread - rather than keep having to update the first post, I'll get the information from the members list (as you can see there is a Highest Break section of your profile). Some liars will be found out :redneck:

Sonny - I think you are saying you are a bit of a choker/bottler. <ok>

:santa:

Postby Roland

thetubberlad wrote:I missed a black off it's spot on 49, Christmas 2004. Straight up: it was as bad a choke as you sould see, I was shaking. Played it with Matthew Stevens' left hand.

And you expected to get it?

Postby Smart

Sonny wrote:
thetubberlad wrote:I missed a black off it's spot on 49, Christmas 2004. Straight up: it was as bad a choke as you sould see, I was shaking. Played it with Matthew Stevens' left hand.

And you expected to get it?

<laugh>

I bottled one the other week playing against my nephew...................... cued right across it (extra pressure playing a 8 year old). :redneck:

Postby Roland

It's why I find it funny when we talk about chokers in the professional game because there's very few in reality. I really suffer when put under pressure. Occasionally I out perform myself and play better than ever, but that's too rare. Most of the time I go to pieces.

Postby gallantrabbit

That's why we don't go to the next stage Sonny ;)

I missed a sitting duck of a black off it's spot on 99. A real Ken Dohrty on 140 black <doh>
About 20 people from my club were watching, (was on table 1) and they all just turned their heads in disgust <laugh>
Made 109 a week later in a pokey little corner of the club where only my oppo and no bar steward else were watching. :ahh:

Postby Smart

Sonny wrote:It's why I find it funny when we talk about chokers in the professional game because there's very few in reality. I really suffer when put under pressure. Occasionally I out perform myself and play better than ever, but that's too rare. Most of the time I go to pieces.

bottler <ok>

Postby kriss

Ive had half a dozen 50s, the highest of which was 59.

The frustrating thing is I got virtually all of them back in the summer of 2008 and I reckon Im a far better player these days despite only getting the odd 40 from time to time.

For me, unless Im playing 3/4 times a week Ive little chance of getting the bigger breaks.

Postby Tubberlad

kriss wrote:Ive had half a dozen 50s, the highest of which was 59.

The frustrating thing is I got virtually all of them back in the summer of 2008 and I reckon Im a far better player these days despite only getting the odd 40 from time to time.

For me, unless Im playing 3/4 times a week Ive little chance of getting the bigger breaks.

It's all in the mind with a lot of, isn't it? Some of us can't break the century barrier, some of us the half century mark... but plenty breaks just below it.

Postby kriss

Im afraid its my ability thats holding me back.

Its highly unlikely I'll compile a 50+ break entirely from simple stun shots in and around the pink and black, perhaps unless perhaps Im playing 20 frames a week.

But playing only 4/5 frames a week I'll need a few calculated kisses, or a pack splitter, or a tricky red near the cushion to get a nice 40+! And thats if my mate hasnt got in first, missed the black and tied it up!!

To be honest I waste a lot of shots- potting reds then playing simply to free the black or pink when theres a simlpe shot on the yellow.

Postby randam05

And thats if my mate hasnt got in first, missed the black and tied it up!!

To be honest I waste a lot of shots- potting reds then playing simply to free the black or pink when theres a simlpe shot on the yellow.

God, I could not agree more with that! Annoying eh?

Postby randam05

5) Sonny 97 (in a match 89)
6) Alex0paul 85 (91 if no in-off)
7) case_master wc 68
8) JohnFromLondonTown 65
9) andreiolay212 56

Where am i :D

Postby gallantrabbit

Kriss - interesting what you say. A 50 is possible from stuns etc around the pink and black. I've seen nigh on 50s from geezers in league snooker I wouldn't expect 20 from. Funny I had a disagreement on another site once with Moondan about this. (Where is he?) He said that if you were able to make 50 then you could make 100... Not so, 50 is on from a nicely split bunch. For a 100 you have to split the bunch and that's a different story :)

Postby kriss

Yea I mean most of my 50s will have been with simple stun shots in and around the black/pink- basically 7 or 8 loose reds in good positions which is often available.

An 80+ break however requires at least 10 reds and how often do you come to the table with 10 reds all neatly arranged without having a pack splitter, a few cannons and a couple of tricky reds.

For the moment I'll probably continue to get the odd 40/50 every 3 or 4 months but to beat my 59 will be tricky playing only once a week.

Postby randam05

Aw haha once you get it though, you will get them regularly. You obviously a good player. Keep it up and welcome to the sight. Look forward to hearing some more from you <ok>

Postby Maui

It's a cruel game sometimes! Had a game Friday night, and could have had a monster break! Potted pink for 91, & had an horrendous kick! Instead of the white stunning across the table for the red in opposite middle, it jupmed up in the air & moved about 2", leaving me a near impossible cut! At the time there were 3 reds left, all in open play, & all the colours on the spots! So, potentially a 142 total clearance. I was so gutted, I've never had a chance as good as that for a break thar huge, & don't know if I'll ever get as good a chance again :-(

Postby fustar

Missed a black, off its spot, for 50 a while back. I was close to the cushion, in my defence, but I still bottled it.

So 43 my highest. Am fairly proud of that!

Postby markj147

Sonny wrote:It's why I find it funny when we talk about chokers in the professional game because there's very few in reality. I really suffer when put under pressure. Occasionally I out perform myself and play better than ever, but that's too rare. Most of the time I go to pieces.

Got my camera ready for Gloucester ... ;)