Post a reply

Re: Snooker's Top 5 moments of 2021

Postby TheRocket

Luca would have deserved a mention. And not just in the UK final loss context but more because of his Scottish Open win a week after that and his general consistency.

Postby chengdufan

The list is:

1. Jordan Brown beats Ronnie in the final
2. Zhao Xintong wins the UK
3. Mark Allen wins NI Open
4. Higgins at the Players Championship
5. Selby's 4th World title

Can't really argue at those being included, they are some fine choices indeed.

I would have Yan's Masters win and Luca's two weeks at the UK and Scottish rather than Allen and Selby.

Postby chengdufan

Don't agree with this line:

Hector Nunns of The Sportsman wrote:While these things are always hugely subjective…I thought the top five moments pretty much picked themselves this year.

Tends to suggest the writer forgot Yan's Masters win

Postby Andre147

I agree with this list, but would definately replace Selby's 4th world title for Yan's win at The Masters.

Selby's won 3 world titles already previously, so it wasn't that surprising. Yan, on the other hand, won three consecutive 6-5 final frame deciders, and then the Final 10-8 against of the greats of all time.

Postby chengdufan

Andre147 wrote:I agree with this list, but would definately replace Selby's 4th world title for Yan's win at The Masters.

Selby's won 3 world titles already previously, so it wasn't that surprising. Yan, on the other hand, won three consecutive 6-5 final frame deciders, and then the Final 10-8 against of the greats of all time.

*definitely

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

The Friday evening session of Selby-Bingham was memorable for the whole controversy over Selby's tactics. Also the Allen-Evans match at the British Open.

Postby SnookerFan

chengdufan wrote:The list is:

1. Jordan Brown beats Ronnie in the final
2. Zhao Xintong wins the UK
3. Mark Allen wins NI Open
4. Higgins at the Players Championship
5. Selby's 4th World title

Can't really argue at those being included, they are some fine choices indeed.

I would have Yan's Masters win and Luca's two weeks at the UK and Scottish rather than Allen and Selby.

I'd have put Zhao winning above Jordan Brown's title victory.

Maybe it's just recency bias, but that felt more historical as a young player coming of age. And was a final between two comparative youngsters. It felt more significant to the game.

Whether Zhao capitalises on his success remains to be seen. But despite the long odds of Jordan Brown winning, it felt more like an exciting one-off rather than a good indication of the future.

(Preparing for this thread to be bumped when Jordan Brown wins dozens more ranking events.) <laugh>

Postby Iranu

To be honest I’m not sure I’d have Selby or Higgins in there.

Selby’s fourth world title helped his legacy but wasn’t particularly exciting unless you were a Selby fan. I’d swap with Yan’s Masters victory which really felt like a watershed moment (which has been supported by the last month).

As great as Higgins’ performance was, and it was phenomenal, I’d have to go with either Hendry’s return or Hendry vs Jimmy. The buzz around both of those things was palpable, and Hendry making a century in his first match was pretty special (shame he hasn’t lived up to it since).

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:To be honest I’m not sure I’d have Selby or Higgins in there.

Selby’s fourth world title helped his legacy but wasn’t particularly exciting unless you were a Selby fan. I’d swap with Yan’s Masters victory which really felt like a watershed moment (which has been supported by the last month).

As great as Higgins’ performance was, and it was phenomenal, I’d have to go with either Hendry’s return or Hendry vs Jimmy. The buzz around both of those things was palpable, and Hendry making a century in his first match was pretty special (shame he hasn’t lived up to it since).

I agree with you about taking out Selby and putting in Yan.

The Hendry vs Jimmy match created hype, but was an absolute turd of a match.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:To be honest I’m not sure I’d have Selby or Higgins in there.

I agree with you about taking out Selby and putting in Yan.

The Hendry vs Jimmy match created hype, but was an absolute turd of a match.

Yeah but the moment for me isn’t the match itself but the unbelievable hype that preceded it. It was everywhere.

Postby Ck147

Dan-cat wrote:Yan
Zhao
Luca
And Ronnie winning after a 15 month title drought producing snooker from another realm has to be in there

Don’t remind me! But good choice, I can go with that, interesting year, one that makes you think snooker has a good future.

Postby Alex0paul

My personal Top 5

1. Being back at the Crucible
2. Yan winning the Masters
3. Wilson's collapse from 11-6 up in the World semi final
4. Jordan Brown winning the Welsh Open
5. The emergence of a few younger players