Post a reply

Phil Yates

Postby Regit

Phil Yates has to be the worst commentator on snooker. He comes out with the most simple and obvious comments it boarders on insulting the watching publics intelligence. Please let's see the back of him as he is a waste of space on snooker commentary.

Re: Phil Yates

Postby SnookerEd25

Yes I’m pro-Yates. Far from the worst commentator out there :no:

Postby Tiens

The only commentator worse than Yates is Studd. Eurosport could do with getting rid of the pair of them.

Postby Prop

One thing about Yates is that he’s much less dramatic and plastic when he’s not commentating (podcasts etc). So it’s a conscious decision to talk that way. If he toned down the ridiculous affectations he’d actually be ok.

Studd, on the other hand, dear god. He’s beyond hope.

Postby Dan-cat

Yates is a lyrical master, a cludger of metaphors and creator of abstract analogies and I love him.

Give me him over the tired old cliches and same jokes we here over and over again with a lot of the other guys. At least he uses English in an incentive and compelling manner.

He's gone into his shell
He's hit it too well
He'll need a stepladder

Zzzzzz

Postby Iranu

Dan-cat wrote:Yates is a lyrical master, a cludger of metaphors and creator of abstract analogies and I love him.

Give me him over the tired old cliches and same jokes we here over and over again with a lot of the other guys. At least he uses English in an incentive and compelling manner.

He's gone into his shell
He's hit it too well
He'll need a stepladder

Zzzzzz

Playing extremely fast and loose with the word “compelling” there, Dan. <laugh>

Although as Prop says, it’s as much his delivery as his content that I hate. If he spoke like a normal human (like he does when he guests on podcasts) I wouldn’t find him anywhere near as annoying as I do.

He’d tell you Mark Selby was taking a sip of water as if it’s the single most important development in the history of humanity.

It’s purely performative - even when he does lone commentary on Eurosport he’s better.

Postby Juddernaut88

The only commentators I'm not really a fan of are Studd, Steve Davis, Joe Perry, John Parrott and Antony Hamilton (hopefully he won't be back commentating any time soon)

Postby Iranu

I think Hamilton could be good once he gets used to it. Talked too much when I listened to him before.

Postby Prop

While we’re on the topic, Rob Walker. He. Always. Speaks. So. Slowly. In. Interviews. Another peculiar affectation that we could do without.

Just be normal! I’m scandalised.

Postby Yanfan

I like Phil Yates. I like his enthusiam. :-)

There are some commentators I'm not keen on. But I would rather have anyone than no commentary at all. I just like to hear what they say. <ok>

Postby Iranu

Prop wrote:While we’re on the topic, Rob Walker. He. Always. Speaks. So. Slowly. In. Interviews. Another peculiar affectation that we could do without.

I’m sure he never used to, seems to be something he’s picked up in the last 2-3 seasons. I might be misremembering though.

I’m finding him more and more annoying lately which is a shame because I do like him but some of his tics seem to be more noticeable to me.

Maybe I’m just getting more miserable. Though his abbreviations are inexcusable. “Cruce,” “‘07,” “Champ of Champs,” etc. Come on, man, there’s no character limit in your voice box.

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:
Prop wrote:While we’re on the topic, Rob Walker. He. Always. Speaks. So. Slowly. In. Interviews. Another peculiar affectation that we could do without.

I’m sure he never used to, seems to be something he’s picked up in the last 2-3 seasons. I might be misremembering though.

I’m finding him more and more annoying lately which is a shame because I do like him but some of his tics seem to be more noticeable to me.

Maybe I’m just getting more miserable. Though his abbreviations are inexcusable. “Cruce,” “‘07,” “Champ of Champs,” etc. Come on, man, there’s no character limit in your voice box.

He’s just trying too hard. Not necessarily ‘to be different’, but it’s like he’s convinced himself that speaking normally is not enough.

Postby Yanfan

Juddernaut88 wrote:The only commentators I'm not really a fan of are Studd, Steve Davis, Joe Perry, John Parrott and Antony Hamilton (hopefully he won't be back commentating any time soon)

Philip Studd: A bit boring.

Steve Davis: Says 'yes' all the time before saying anything else.

Joe Perry: Rising inflection at the end of EVERY sentence.

John Parrott: Keeps saying 'He'd like to play that one again, that's for sure!'.

Anthony Hamilton: Doesn't know when to stop talking.

But I would not turn any of them off. Some of them are quite funny. :-D

Postby SteveJJ

Dan-cat wrote:Yates is a lyrical master, a cludger of metaphors and creator of abstract analogies and I love him.

He's gone into his shell
He's hit it too well
He'll need a stepladder

Zzzzzz

Its not the same old jokes/lines with Yates but his are equally as mediocre and you sense hes worked on them so much that he will crowbar them in whether the time and situation is right or not

Postby McManusFan

SteveJJ wrote:

He's gone into his shell
He's hit it too well
He'll need a stepladder

Zzzzzz

Its not the same old jokes/lines with Yates but his are equally as mediocre and you sense hes worked on them so much that he will crowbar them in whether the time and situation is right or not

"More cues than a tin of alphabet soup" was good though.

Postby Iranu

He's gone into his shell
He's hit it too well
He'll need a stepladder

Zzzzzz

Inventive maybe but not always correct. He just used ‘exponentially’ incorrectly because of his desire to be compelling.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5rt75BbaqY

I love Foulds’ incredulity when faced with some of Yates’ ridiculous statements rofl

“Good Lord, Phil.”

Postby badtemperedcyril

It’s definitely his “commentary voice”. Wish he’d talk normally, as though he was just sitting in the pub. His TV voice makes him sound like a nob head but he’s not a bad bloke, in fairness.

Postby badtemperedcyril

Iranu wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5rt75BbaqY

I love Foulds’ incredulity when faced with some of Yates’ ridiculous statements rofl

“Good Lord, Phil.”

Haha - that’s post of the day!

Postby shanew48

Which is the one who is always coming out with proper cringey word play and Segway's every other sentence? generally commentates on ITV events, for example when Trump lost the election and Judd Trump had won a match he said something like "one Trump may have just been beaten, but this Trump has not been beaten and is through to the next round!"

Is he the one who looks like Martin Samual?

Postby Prop

badtemperedcyril wrote:It’s definitely his “commentary voice”. Wish he’d talk normally, as though he was just sitting in the pub. His TV voice makes him sound like a nob head but he’s not a bad bloke, in fairness.

Pretty much this.

Postby shanew48

Yanfan wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:The only commentators I'm not really a fan of are Studd, Steve Davis, Joe Perry, John Parrott and Antony Hamilton (hopefully he won't be back commentating any time soon)

Philip Studd: A bit boring.

Steve Davis: Says 'yes' all the time before saying anything else.

Joe Perry: Rising inflection at the end of EVERY sentence.

John Parrott: Keeps saying 'He'd like to play that one again, that's for sure!'.

Anthony Hamilton: Doesn't know when to stop talking.

But I would not turn any of them off. Some of them are quite funny. :-D

Contractually Parrot must be duty bound to state at each event he is at:

"By the way, how well has he hit that?"

"All you want in a final frame decider is one chance, nothing worse then breaking off and seeing your opponent knock in a long red and clear up"

Postby shanew48

Tiens wrote:As long as your opponent needs two frames.

That's Dennis Taylors favourite isn't it, he also likes to say after the conclusion of each match, "congratulations to both players"

And when a player misses a pot having already won the frame "He won't be too bothered about that"