Post a reply

Re: Phil Yates

Postby shanew48

shanew48 wrote:
Tiens wrote:As long as your opponent needs two frames.

That's Dennis Taylors favourite isn't it, he also likes to say after the conclusion of each match, "congratulations to both players"

And when a player misses a pot having already won the frame "He won't be too bothered about that"

Also the Eurosport main commentator when talking about any player over 40 "He's (insert age between 40 and 49) years young now, if it's going to happen, it needs to be soon"

Postby Reg Varney

Iranu wrote:Maybe I’m just getting more miserable. Though his abbreviations are inexcusable. “Cruce,” “‘07,” “Champ of Champs,” etc. Come on, man, there’s no character limit in your voice box.

I cringed when he came out with "Champ of Champs" whilst interviewing Judd yesterday prior to the Woollaston match.

Postby Yanfan

shanew48 wrote:
Yanfan wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:The only commentators I'm not really a fan of are Studd, Steve Davis, Joe Perry, John Parrott and Antony Hamilton (hopefully he won't be back commentating any time soon)

Philip Studd: A bit boring.

Steve Davis: Says 'yes' all the time before saying anything else.

Joe Perry: Rising inflection at the end of EVERY sentence.

John Parrott: Keeps saying 'He'd like to play that one again, that's for sure!'.

Anthony Hamilton: Doesn't know when to stop talking.

But I would not turn any of them off. Some of them are quite funny. :-D

Contractually Parrot must be duty bound to state at each event he is at:

"By the way, how well has he hit that?"

"All you want in a final frame decider is one chance, nothing worse then breaking off and seeing your opponent knock in a long red and clear up"

That is so true. rofl

Postby Iranu

Yanfan wrote:John Parrott: Keeps saying 'He'd like to play that one again, that's for sure!'.

Usually followed by, “That is a stinker!”

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:
Yanfan wrote:John Parrott: Keeps saying 'He'd like to play that one again, that's for sure!'.

He calls a lot of things smelly.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:

More so when he’s in the commentary booth with Dennis, for some reason :shrug:

Postby Tiens

SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:

In fairness, he spends most of his time stuck next to Dennis Taylor in the commentary box.

Postby Tiens

Iranu wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:

More so when he’s in the commentary booth with Dennis, for some reason :shrug:

rofl

Postby Regit

Spot on Prop. The insignificant high pitches in his delivery, every sentence with fluctuating pitches for no good reason. He leaves the technical stuff to the pro's to comment on. Got to turn sound of when he comments on snooker. He's made for football commentary not snooker. Just my opinion.

Postby vodkadiet1

Dan-cat wrote:Yates is a lyrical master, a cludger of metaphors and creator of abstract analogies and I love him.

Give me him over the tired old cliches and same jokes we here over and over again with a lot of the other guys. At least he uses English in an incentive and compelling manner.

He's gone into his shell
He's hit it too well
He'll need a stepladder

Zzzzzz

Agree wholeheartedly. He is the Sid Waddell of the baize. I used to love reading him in The Times. He knew exactly what the snooker fan wanted to read about, namely the critical moments of a match and you could really get a sense of exactly how a match had been played out. None of this Tom Fordyce type garbage where you are left wondering whether you are reading a sports report or a Dickens novel?

Postby paulvian

Absolutely agree - awful commentator, along with Doherty's mispronunciations - 'der' instead of 'the' and the sort - f**king irritating !!!

Postby SnookerFan

He came out with a belter the other day, when Higgins was leading Allen in the first session.

Something like; "Higgins lost to Welsh youngster Jackson Page at the World Open, but instead he's turning the page against Allen...."

He must be sitting at home coming up with these ridiculous jokes to make.

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:He came out with a belter the other day, when Higgins was leading Allen in the first session.

Something like; "Higgins lost to Welsh youngster Jackson Page at the World Open, but instead he's turning the page against Allen...."

Exactly. A proper broadcaster. He does some prep

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:He came out with a belter the other day, when Higgins was leading Allen in the first session.

What, coming up with rubbish, unfunny jokes before each match?

Postby HappyCamper

phil yates is daring in his use of language, he pushes the boundaries of conventional commentary. it is challenging for some - but good art is meant to challenge.

Postby SnookerEd25

:goodpost: :bowdown:

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:

Do all of your jokes work?

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:Do all of your jokes work?

No, but then I'm not claiming to be a proper journalist who prepares them in advance. <laugh>

Postby Iranu

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:

Do all of your jokes work?

To be fair, if you wouldn’t rather hear SF in commentary than Phil Yates, you and I experience the world very differently.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:To be fair, if you wouldn’t rather hear SF in commentary than Phil Yates, you and I experience the world very differently.

Can you imagine?

"Why do you always get fries with burgers?"
"Good Lord, SnookerFan.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:To be fair, if you wouldn’t rather hear SF in commentary than Phil Yates, you and I experience the world very differently.

Can you imagine?

"Why do you always get fries with burgers?"
"Good Lord, SnookerFan.

10/10 would watache