Post a reply

Will Trump win another Triple Crown title?

Postby badtemperedcyril

So once again, Trumpy, for all his victories in the minor events, fails yet again in one of the big ones.

I wonder, will he ever increase on his tally of 1 World, 1 UK and 1 Masters, OR, will he forever be level with Terry Griffiths and Shaun Murphy?

No disrespect to either Griff or Smurph but they never get a mention in the all time greats discussions and yet, by and large, its the TC titles that tends to be used as a measure of greatness.

Re: Will Trump win another Triple Crown title?

Postby Holden Chinaski

eraserhead wrote:Time is on his side and there aren't many young players even close to his top form.

There are some very promising young Chinese players and Hossein Vafei is only 27 as well. Luca is also just 26, maybe his game will mature.

Postby Reg Varney

badtemperedcyril wrote:Not to mention Peter Lines (51) and Anthony Hamilton (50)

And Jimmy is flying and playing better than ever in practice! Surely only a matter of time before he takes that practice table form out onto the main stage.

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:
eraserhead wrote:Time is on his side and there aren't many young players even close to his top form.

There are some very promising young Chinese players and Hossein Vafei is only 27 as well. Luca is also just 26, maybe his game will mature.

Don't see it from Luca somehow.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Winning a big number of Triple Crown titles is only for very special players. I'm not sure Trump has what it takes. He will definitely win a couple more, I'm sure. But I don't think he'll come close to Selby and Higgins, never mind Davis/Hendry/Ronnie. He's got all the talent and he doesn't have much competition but he still only has 3 Triple Crowns. That's not good enough for someone who can play like him.

Postby Iranu

I’m starting to think he’ll smash the ranking record but end up with a similar number of TCs as Robbo, with an extra WC.

Postby McManusFan

badtemperedcyril wrote:Likely TC winners next 5 - 7 years

Mark Selby
Judd Trump
Ronnie O'Sullivan
Niel Robertson
Yan Bingtao
Zhao Xintong
Jamie Wilson
Wu Yize

I think Higgins has one more in him. I'd love to see Vafaei kick on too.

Postby Andre147

Iranu wrote:I’m starting to think he’ll smash the ranking record but end up with a similar number of TCs as Robbo, with an extra WC.

Yeah me too

Postby badtemperedcyril

McManusFan wrote:

Mark Selby
Judd Trump
Ronnie O'Sullivan
Niel Robertson
Yan Bingtao
Zhao Xintong
Jamie Wilson
Wu Yize

I think Higgins has one more in him. I'd love to see Vafaei kick on too.

Yes, I probably should add Vafaei as he has the talent. I'm kinda thinking Kyren Wilson is pushing for one as well.

Postby Iranu

People seem to be getting very carried away about Vafaei. He could win a big one but he could just as easily be a 17-32 player his whole career.

He kind’ve reminds me of Gould, although he has a lot more time to improve.

Postby Prop

Mark Selby
Judd Trump
Ronnie O'Sullivan
Niel Robertson
Yan Bingtao
Zhao Xintong
Jamie Wilson
Wu Yize

Jamie Wilson? He’s talented, sure. But did you mean Kyren?

Postby badtemperedcyril

Prop wrote:

Mark Selby
Judd Trump
Ronnie O'Sullivan
Niel Robertson
Yan Bingtao
Zhao Xintong
Jamie Wilson
Wu Yize

Nope Jamie. He’s only 18 but something about him. Such a natural cueist. I realise it takes a lot more than raw talent and it remains to be seen what his temperament and dedication is like. He is a joy to watch tho when he’s in the balls.

Postby Prop

badtemperedcyril wrote:
Prop wrote:

Mark Selby
Judd Trump
Ronnie O'Sullivan
Niel Robertson
Yan Bingtao
Zhao Xintong
Jamie Wilson
Wu Yize

Nope Jamie. He’s only 18 but something about him. Such a natural cueist. I realise it takes a lot more than raw talent and it remains to be seen what his temperament and dedication is like. He is a joy to watch tho when he’s in the balls.

I hope you’re right. He does look like he was born for it. Last time I watched him he was really raw, not much of a tactical game, and a bit of movement on shots under pressure, but in the zone he’s got that X factor like you say.

Just hope he doesn’t turn out to be yet another natural talent that doesn’t break through. Far too many of them.

Postby Prop

I posted this is the match thread earlier, it’ll probably get buried there:

I remember a couple of years ago on here, there was a big discussion over Judd’s game at the time and whether it was his true level or in fact just a big purple patch.

I’m starting to think it might have been the latter. That’s not to say his true level isn’t high - it’s still loads better than the majority - but he just hasn’t shown quite the quality he did at that time. He hasn’t really threatened it with any kind of consistency.

Judd managed to find that perfect storm in 2019: Playing his absolute best ever snooker during the World Championship final. A player can’t practice for that, predict it, or try to time it. But every snooker player at the top of the game knows that if they happened to play that kind of freak snooker in a final, they’d win. Every player has one of those short spells of form once in their career. Sometimes it’s a few days long, sometimes just one day, and often it’s in practice or in the early rounds of a small tournament. Very rarely does it ever happen in a big final, let alone the World final.

I don’t know if that did him much good in some ways. He’s desperate to perform like that again - after all, he proved he could play that kind of snooker on the biggest stage of all. But the further that match slips into history, and the longer he goes without even coming close to repeating a performance on that level in one of the big three tournaments, the more it’ll start to look a purple patch to us, and feel like it to him.

Postby TheRocket

Iranu wrote:I’m starting to think he’ll smash the ranking record but end up with a similar number of TCs as Robbo, with an extra WC.

Very possible. Albeit I dont completely rule it out he might get to 8 or 9 Triple Crown titles but thats the best case scenario. Should he match Higgins or Selby though a lot will depend how many World titles Judd will win. The goal should be 3 World titles.Then he would be in the same tier as them.