Post a reply

Re: Will Trump win another Triple Crown title?

Postby Iranu

badtemperedcyril wrote:It doesn’t make sense how he could play so poorly today in this, the UK Championship. Stephen Hendry and Steve Davis used to raise their game in the major tournaments but Judd stutters.

To be fair Davis and Hendry are the anomalies there, rather than Judd.

Davis gets very hard done by in GOAT discussions in my (relatively uninformed) opinion.

Postby TheRocket

From what I've seen many put Higgins inside the Top3 but leave Davis out. Based on the raw numbers and stats thats not justified. Despite the fact Higgins at his best played to a higher level.

Postby Iranu

TheRocket wrote:From what I've seen many put Higgins inside the Top3 but leave Davis out. Based on the raw numbers and stats thats not justified. Despite the fact Higgins at his best played to a higher level.

It’s ridiculous, really. Everyone uses eras as an excuse but Higgins wasn’t losing to Ronnie, Hendry and Williams in all his early Masters exits was he?

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:From what I've seen many put Higgins inside the Top3 but leave Davis out. Based on the raw numbers and stats thats not justified. Despite the fact Higgins at his best played to a higher level.

My top 3 are Ronnie, Hendry and Davis for sure. Higgins probably comes 4th.

Postby badtemperedcyril

Davis is an absolute colossus. The guy won 94 professional titles including 6 World, 6 UK and 3 Masters. Just let that sink in.

He was also on a different level in terms of being a sporting icon. Snooker was massive in the 80’s. They used to say Steve was on TV more than the prime minister. Also the only snooker player to be Sports Personality of the Year.

Yep, Davis deserves No.3 spot.

Postby orky

Don't get too much time to post on here unfortunately. Standard has risen over time hence Davis people would rate Davis lower than Higgins on the all time greats list. An impossible question to answer, Davis turned pro in 78, Higgins turned pro in 92 and benefitted from the exposure Davis didn't get, little wonder standards rose over the 80's and 90's as time went on. Anyway, back to the original topic - my answer - and as controversial as it may seem I can't see Judd winning another world title. He may pick up a couple of the other two. Surprising really as when you look at his peers from his generation, who is there at a high level? Maybe just Ding, and he's not at the top of his game. I like Judd, but he's miles behind Selby and Reardon on the all time greats list and to compare him to the top 4 of Higgins, Davis, Hendry and O' Sullivan is just embarrassing. No disrespect intended to Judd. I think his arrogance is catching up with him.

Postby Holden Chinaski

orky wrote: I like Judd, but he's miles behind Selby and Reardon on the all time greats list and to compare him to the top 4 of Higgins, Davis, Hendry and O' Sullivan is just embarrassing. No disrespect intended to Judd. I think his arrogance is catching up with him.

:goodpost:

Postby chengdufan

orky wrote:Don't get too much time to post on here unfortunately. Standard has risen over time

Couldn't agree more. These days you have the likes of Prop, Bentley, McManusFan, HappyCamper... There just wasn't that quality on the forum a decade ago.

Postby orky

About a decade ago Judd and Robertson didn't get on. Actually Robertson was classy, it appeared he didn't have much of a problem and it was the other way round. Judd said something along the lines of "when I'm his age I'd have won far more than him". Well look at the stats. I think this was in 2012 so Robertson would have been around 30. Judd is just over 30 and is there that much difference between what they've won? Defo not in the triple crown events and over the last few years Judd has benefitted from there being approx 20 rankers a season. Like I say, a top form Judd is fantastic for the game but I do believe had he not been so arrogant especially in his younger years he'd have won more by now - there would have been less pressure on him. The players these days are so good it just takes you to be a bit off top form and you can easily get beat. If he's playing people like Wilson or Ding or Murphy to name a few at the Crucible it's 50 50 who wins because it's Judd who is carrying the pressure, the others aren't and they are top quality players. The 3 mentioned are just examples and there are more.

Postby SnookerEd25

chengdufan wrote:
orky wrote:Don't get too much time to post on here unfortunately. Standard has risen over time

Couldn't agree more. These days you have the likes of Prop, Bentley, McManusFan, HappyCamper... There just wasn't that quality on the forum a decade ago.

pmsl

Postby Reg Varney

Iranu wrote:I’m starting to think he’ll smash the ranking record but end up with a similar number of TCs as Robbo, with an extra WC.

Have thought similar regarding the ranking record for a couple of seasons. Same way he'll put the century record out of reach. He'll get nowhere near the Triple Crown record though.

Postby Prop

Chengdufan <laugh>

Orky’s made some good points. The only thing I’d really be at odds with (and we’re not talking poles apart here) is not being surprised at Judd winning another WC. I would personally be surprised if he didn’t. From seeing what he’s capable of, the ridiculous standard of that peak game a couple of years ago, and the fact things should theoretically open up for him in the next few years in terms of direct competition, it’s just very difficult to imagine he wouldn’t at least win one more. But again, it goes back to my earlier post: We don’t know if that win was due to a long run of freak form, or a reflection of his true level.

Time and pressure do funny things to a snooker player. And I think this is in part what Orky is saying. The longer he goes without it happening, the more of a hurdle it’ll become.

Postby Prop

SnookerFan wrote:I think The Masters might be more suited to him. He's been apparently whining that he doesn't like longer tournaments/formats.

I don’t think any player particularly likes the longer tournaments, especially the Worlds, unless they actually come out the other side and win it. I can’t remember the last time a player said the modern UK was ‘too long’ though! Probably a case of post-loss gobbledegook.

Postby Dragonfly

Trump for all his talent is a bit of a whinger. Matches are too short, too long and so on. I also believe he thinks he is much better than he actually is.

As a previous poster mentioned there is not much difference between himself and Robertson. And Selby has a vastly superior record in the majors. Trump can still improve on his own record of course, but some of his statements such as all tournaments are equal is clearly nonsense.

Until his record improves people will continue to to mention just how poor it actually is. I mean for most players winning all 3 majors even once is a fine achievement. But Trump is supposed to be something special. One of the best ever. At the moment he is a million miles from that.

Postby mick745

It is not how many tournaments you win, but WHICH ones you win that is the ultimate test and what players are judged on.

However, it does seem inconceivable to me that a player of his level wont win another TC event between now and the end of his career. He wins tournaments regularly, just not the TC ones at the moment.

He was only one ball away from winning the uk last year.

Postby orky

It's a different argument for another time maybe, but the 2019 final table was generous. When you are playing well and you even see pots going in that shouldn't do, all it does is improve your cue arm and rythm even more. They both had pots which shouldn't have gone in TBF. Higgins was also flying but Trump was better and deservedly won that final. I think the standard from Trump was more of a freak than an accurate analyses of his top peak level. No doubt he is a superb player, and I genuinely believe a player of his quality should have won many more triple crown events by now.

Postby Johnny Bravo

While I do agree that Judd has underachieved so far, I think he will definitely win a few more big events.
It's hard to say how many, but I reckon at least 3 or 4 more.
He's 33 now, so if we assume he can maintain a similar standard for at least another decade, he has a lot of chances at his disposal to do that.

As for his top form, IMO it's second only to that of Ronnie. But Judd's main issue is that he cannot bring that whenever he wants, in big events. Just like Ronnie, he seems to play better when there's less pressure on him, so that translates in more small event wins than big event wins. The difference is that Ronnie is more fired up for big events and he has learned to cope with pressure better, hence way more wins in big events.

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
eraserhead wrote:Time is on his side and there aren't many young players even close to his top form.

There are some very promising young Chinese players and Hossein Vafei is only 27 as well. Luca is also just 26, maybe his game will mature.

Don't see it from Luca somehow.

:chin: :chin: :chin: :chin: :chin: