Post a reply

Re: It’s 10 years

Postby Juddernaut88

"Ten years ago, I got a call that nearly killed me"

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:Since the first shitty best-of-11 UK Championship. Nothing has been done to repair the damage.

RIP UK Championship, now just another tournament.

:goodpost:

Postby Dragonfly

Still a great event. Still an event that all the best players rate as super important. Still one of the few events that actually matters when looking at a players career.

What 3 finals can I remember from last year, the World, the Masters and of course the UK.

The events the top players actually care about.

Postby badtemperedcyril

I can tell you who won the UK every year up to the mid-90’s, even the final scores but then it got boring with the best-of-10 finals - it’s just like any other regular ranking event.

Some of those early best-of-31 finals were among the most epic and memorable matches in the history of the game…

82 Griffiths 16-15 Higgins
83 Higgins 16-15 Davis
85 Davis 16-14 Thorne
87 Davis 16-14 White
90 Hendry 16-15 Davis

Postby Pink Ball

Dragonfly wrote:Still a great event. Still an event that all the best players rate as super important. Still one of the few events that actually matters when looking at a players career.

What 3 finals can I remember from last year, the World, the Masters and of course the UK.

If you throw a brick through a window, the window is still a window. But it’s toilet facility and broken.

Postby Andre147

Pink Ball wrote:
Dragonfly wrote:Still a great event. Still an event that all the best players rate as super important. Still one of the few events that actually matters when looking at a players career.

If you throw a brick through a window, the window is still a window. But it’s toilet facility and broken.

Doesn't matter what we think does it?

If the players, especially the top ones, say the UK and the other 2 triple crown events are the most important, that's all that matters.

Postby Pink Ball

Andre147 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

Doesn't matter what we think does it?

If the players, especially the top ones, say the UK and the other 2 triple crown events are the most important, that's all that matters.

That’s nonsense, Andre. We are the fans, the people keeping the sport going, we are entitled to have an opinion on matters within the game. My opinion is they made a total fuck-up of the UK Championship, it’s nowhere near as special as it was, and I think that’s a widely held opinion. Even if it isn’t, I’m entitled to it.

Postby Andre147

Of course you are Pinks, I share same opinion as you and have even discussed this with other fellow referees and some players, and the players I spoke to also prefered the older format.

But it is what it is, and for them it still remains one of the 3 biggest tournaments we have.

Postby Pink Ball

Correct. But if you did a poll of the players as to which one they would least like to win, the UK would win comfortably. I think the Masters would have won that vote pre-2010. Not unanimously, but that’s my inkling.

Moral of the story: the competition’s prestige has been hit hard.

Postby Dragonfly

Pink Ball wrote:Correct. But if you did a poll of the players as to which one they would least like to win, the UK would win comfortably. I think the Masters would have won that vote pre-2010. Not unanimously, but that’s my inkling.

It may well be the least prestigious of the triple crown events. But it's still one of the big three. Better to win the 3rd biggest event than to win one of the generic home nation events, not to mention the Riga Masters or something forgotten about a week later.

Postby The_Abbott

More dosh, less effort.

A bit like most jobs these days.

Postby Pink Ball

Dragonfly wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Correct. But if you did a poll of the players as to which one they would least like to win, the UK would win comfortably. I think the Masters would have won that vote pre-2010. Not unanimously, but that’s my inkling.

It may well be the least prestigious of the triple crown events. But it's still one of the big three. Better to win the 3rd biggest event than to win one of the generic home nation events, not to mention the Riga Masters or something forgotten about a week later.

I don’t understand your point. If they changed the World Championship to best of 17 up to the quarter finals, best of 19 semis and best of 33 final, it would still be seen as our top tournament. But that’s neither here nor there. It’d be only 70 per cent of the tournament it was.

Postby SnookerFan

Dragonfly wrote:

Why not win all of them?

Postby Wildey

Pink Ball wrote:Since the first shitty best-of-11 UK Championship. Nothing has been done to repair the damage.

But back then they had a Best of 17 Semis they changed the Semis to best of 11 in 2014

Postby Pink Ball

Wildey wrote:

But back then they had a Best of 17 Semis they changed the Semis to best of 11 in 2014

EXACTLY.

Nothing has been done to repair the damage — only worsen it.