Post a reply

Mardy Murphy

Postby RunningSide

Murphy said after losing 6_5 to amateur Si,that amateurs should not be allowed in professional tournaments, stating its professionals livelihood, he played without a care in the world. Don't feel any sympathy for Murphy, possibly affected his mindset in match, you surely try and beat your opponent. If memory serves, didn't he enter open championship in golf.

Re: Mardy Murphy

Postby Juddernaut88

I've always felt that in the last few years Murphy has been one of the most down to earth players in the game so it's a surprise him saying something like this.

Postby SnookerFan

RunningSide wrote:Murphy said after losing 6_5 to amateur Si,that amateurs should not be allowed in professional tournaments, stating its professionals livelihood, he played without a care in the world. Don't feel any sympathy for Murphy, possibly affected his mindset in match, you surely try and beat your opponent. If memory serves, didn't he enter open championship in golf.

When did he say this? Was he interviewed after the match?

Postby mick745

He should be asking himself why he couldnt beat an amateur player in a major competition.

Did he think the same when O'Sullivan lost to Cahill in the world championship that time.

Postby Prop

Sounds like sour grapes, heavily seasoned with salt.

Postby Iranu

Juddernaut88 wrote:I've always felt that in the last few years Murphy has been one of the most down to earth players in the game so it's a surprise him saying something like this.

Willo’s said similar things about it

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:
RunningSide wrote:Murphy said after losing 6_5 to amateur Si,that amateurs should not be allowed in professional tournaments, stating its professionals livelihood, he played without a care in the world. Don't feel any sympathy for Murphy, possibly affected his mindset in match, you surely try and beat your opponent. If memory serves, didn't he enter open championship in golf.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/59392405

Postby SnookerFan

mick745 wrote:He should be asking himself why he couldnt beat an amateur player in a major competition.

Did he think the same when O'Sullivan lost to Cahill in the world championship that time.

I agree.

He's acting like the amateur has some big advantage, because he's no longer on tour.

What about the pressure of trying to get back on the tour? What about the pressure of playing one of the games greats at a big tournament, in front of a crowd?

So all amateurs just buck around and don't care if they win according to Murphy?

Maybe he should be wondering why a player of his stature can't beat an amateur? A few months after appearing in The Crucible final.

Mug opinion by Murphy.

Postby SnookerFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/59392405

<ok>

Postby lhpirnie

A stupid, self-serving comment that he will be regretting. All tournaments except the Masters have amateurs playing in them - there is no such rule 'only professionals play in professional tournametns'. He might as well invent a rule 'only winners should play in the Champion of Champions'.

He signed up to these rules as a 'professional'. If anyone is to be excluded, it's him, for bringing the game into disrepute for criticising the WST's tournament qualification rules.

Postby chengdufan

lhpirnie wrote:A stupid, self-serving comment that he will be regretting. All tournaments except the Masters have amateurs playing in them - there is no such rule 'only professionals play in professional tournametns'. He might as well invent a rule 'only winners should play in the Champion of Champions'.

He signed up to these rules as a 'professional'. If anyone is to be excluded, it's him, for bringing the game into disrepute for criticising the WST's tournament qualification rules.

Here, here!

He's really let himself down here, and as a senior snooker representative, he's let the game down.

Postby Iranu

I mean it’s hardly bringing the game into disrepute, is it?

It’s a losing player being a bit salty. Absolutely nothing new there.

He does have a kernel of a point, whether you agree with it is obviously another question. When MJW’s spoken about it he’s said that the top-up players can play in every pro tournament and and amateur tournament. The pro tournaments are essentially a free hit for them compared to lower ranked pros. He suggested putting a limit on the number of pro tournaments each amateur can enter in a season.

Postby HappyCamper

Iranu wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:I've always felt that in the last few years Murphy has been one of the most down to earth players in the game so it's a surprise him saying something like this.

Willo’s said similar things about it

they're both talking marmite.

Postby HappyCamper

does murphy still have his position on the wpbsa board?

Postby lhpirnie

Iranu wrote:I mean it’s hardly bringing the game into disrepute, is it?

It’s a losing player being a bit salty. Absolutely nothing new there.

He does have a kernel of a point, whether you agree with it is obviously another question. When MJW’s spoken about it he’s said that the top-up players can play in every pro tournament and and amateur tournament. The pro tournaments are essentially a free hit for them compared to lower ranked pros. He suggested putting a limit on the number of pro tournaments each amateur can enter in a season.

I agree we can all have opinions about the system, but it is what it is. Maybe Murphy could suggest they change the rules in the future, but he can't say Si Jiahui 'shouldn't have been allowed to play', because the current rules say that he should.

I do agree that there is a problem allowing players to play both the amateur tours and the pro tours at the same time. This is a problem caused by WST not filling their allocation of 128 players. There are other anomalies as well - I get the impression that WST don't always think things through, or else aren't really bothered about inconsistencies.

But Si Jiahui won the match fair and square. It's not really acceptable for Murphy to claim the match shouldn't have happened.

Postby gninnur karona

lhpirnie wrote:I agree we can all have opinions about the system, but it is what it is. Maybe Murphy could suggest they change the rules in the future, but he can't say Si Jiahui 'shouldn't have been allowed to play', because the current rules say that he should.

I do agree that there is a problem allowing players to play both the amateur tours and the pro tours at the same time. This is a problem caused by WST not filling their allocation of 128 players. There are other anomalies as well - I get the impression that WST don't always think things through, or else aren't really bothered about inconsistencies.

But Si Jiahui won the match fair and square. It's not really acceptable for Murphy to claim the match shouldn't have happened.

:goodpost:

Postby SnookerFan

Oh, blah.

Murphy isn't trying to make positive changes to how the game is structured. He's just whining because he lost.

Postby chengdufan

It is, actually.
These comments are plastered across the news and are damaging to the reputation of the game. He's a high profile figure who is an ambassador for snooker. He is entitled to his opinion, but as a 'professional' he should raise his concerns about the rules in a professional manner. Have an internal discussion with those in charge, pass on your feedback and listen to the reasons why it is the way it is with an open mind.

Iranu wrote:He does have a kernel of a point, whether you agree with it is obviously another question.

It's a very short sighted and selfish one. I can't imagine anyone with a modicum of understanding of the situation of the amateur game would agree with him.

Postby GeF

SnookerFan wrote:Oh, blah.

Murphy isn't trying to make positive changes to how the game is structured. He's just whining because he lost.

You are quite right.
Nothing more to say.

Postby Prop

Journalists know that they’re much more likely to get something juicy if they interview a losing player straight after the match.

Had they done it the next day Murphy would have simmered down and there probably wouldn’t even be a story.

Postby Iranu

chengdufan wrote:

It is, actually.
These comments are plastered across the news and are damaging to the reputation of the game. He's a high profile figure who is an ambassador for snooker. He is entitled to his opinion, but as a 'professional' he should raise his concerns about the rules in a professional manner. Have an internal discussion with those in charge, pass on your feedback and listen to the reasons why it is the way it is with an open mind.

You’re right, he handled the situation terribly. I just don’t think it’s really bringing the game into disrepute, despite the column inches. But maybe my interpretation of bringing the game into disrepute is more severe than it actually is.

chengdufan wrote:
Iranu wrote:He does have a kernel of a point, whether you agree with it is obviously another question.

It's a very short sighted and selfish one. I can't imagine anyone with a modicum of understanding of the situation of the amateur game would agree with him.

Oh I don’t for a second think Murphy should be feeling hard done by.

But at present you could argue you’re better off not qualifying through Q School and being high on the OOM so you can be a top-up player in all pro events but still play in amateur events.

Postby SnookerFan

Prop wrote:Journalists know that they’re much more likely to get something juicy if they interview a losing player straight after the match.

Had they done it the next day Murphy would have simmered down and there probably wouldn’t even be a story.

But Murphy must know this. He's not some youngster rookie in the game.

Especially as somebody who models himself as ambassador.

Postby RunningSide

Apologies for no responses to earlier post,busy with family stuff and no signal at son's house. Agree with much of what's been said,does seem a bit out of character for Murphy,possibly a good thing no upcoming events in China he may have got a reaction.

Postby mick745

I think when Murphy turned pro he was still 15? or just turned 16.

I remember him telling a story that during his first season an older pro sat him down and basically telling him he wasnt welcome as the tour was no place for kids and people had mortgages to pay and kids to feed.

Now he's that older pro telling others they are not welcome.

Postby Pink Ball

Murphy’s being a hammer. No arguments there. But we should not have a situation whereby an amateur player can rock up to what’s supposed to be our second-biggest tournament without having played a single qualifying match.

It should be 32 at the venue, top 16 seeded there. Just like the World Championship. The flat 128 system is great for 90 per cent of tournaments but not this one. A load of bullocks.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Dragonfly wrote:I read the topic title as Mandy Murphy. Was thinking who is Mandy Murphy!

I thought the same.

Postby RunningSide

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:
Dragonfly wrote:I read the topic title as Mandy Murphy. Was thinking who is Mandy Murphy!

I thought the same.

Possible reason top break26?

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Poncy over-privileged remarks from the Benny Hill doppelganger.

Contrast with the comments from David Grace lower down in the article.