Get rid of ash? Or maple?

Ash
57%
Maple
43%

Total votes : 7

Cues. What’s your preference?

Postby Prop

I’ve been thinking about something recently, and while it’s only a hypothetical situation, it’d be interesting to know your views. I’ve been playing guitar for a while now, and in recent years Rosewood (a popular wood typically used for fretboards) has become ‘protected’. So now it’s quite difficult to buy or import/export a new guitar with a rosewood fretboard, much like Ebony has become very expensive and exclusive.

If either ash or maple became protected, and we had to say goodbye to one of those woods in the manufacture of snooker cues, which would you prefer to lose?

Do you appreciate the solid feel of a good honest maple shaft, and you’d prefer to see ash become a thing of the past?

Or maybe you’re indifferent about maple, and you wouldn’t like to see the back of ash?

Tell us which wood you’d eradicate from the game. Vote now!

Re: Cues. What’s your preference?

Postby Yanfan

Holden Chinaski wrote:Maple cues are sticky. I would need one of those gloves to prevent the squeaky feeling.

My cue is maple, and I don't find it sticky. Also, Stephen Hendry used a maple cue to win 7 world titles. I don't really know what else to say. :chin:

Postby Holden Chinaski

rekoons wrote:I have no idea what wood my cue is, or how to identify it...

Maple cues are used in pool a lot. They have a lighter colour and no grains. Ash is darker and has grains in it. Ash is used more than maple for snooker cues.

Postby rekoons

Holden Chinaski wrote:
rekoons wrote:I have no idea what wood my cue is, or how to identify it...

Maple cues are used in pool a lot. They have a lighter colour and no grains. Ash is darker and has grains in it. Ash is used more than maple for snooker cues.

Then I must be using a very light coloured ash cue...