Post a reply

Re: Cross handedness.

Postby SnookerEd25

RunningSide wrote:Tried this and wet myself, what's that mean?

You need incontinence pads.

Postby Prop

lhpirnie wrote:
Prop wrote:
RunningSide wrote:
Prop wrote:Something was bugging me last night reading this, and I knew there was something I did the other way round. It just didn’t come to me. But I’ve remembered.

I used to fire a catapult as a left-hander would. I’d imagine I still would if I was still a badly behaved 13 year old boy <laugh> I believe the normal way for a right-hander would be to hold the catapult handle with the left hand and draw back the elastic with the right. For whatever reason I did it the other way round.

It’s a strange thing to suddenly remember. Not the sort of thing your brain tends to take with you into adulthood. But after reading this I knew there was something.

I was a bit of a bad lad. Good at making things, and very technical, but I focused my talents in the wrong place. Home made catapults, pellet guns, and so on. This thread has been quite an odd reminder of that. I’m all sensible and grown up now. Sort of.

Got me thinking similar thoughts, l fire pellet guns left handed, feeling its more of left eye sighting than preferred hand.

Could be. I don’t really know whether I’m left or right eye dominant. Could explain a lot of missed pots <laugh>

Stand away from a mirror, make a heart-shape with your hands and look at yourself through it. Then close each eye in turn and see which makes you move.

I am left handed and left-eye dominant, and do almost everything left-handed except for throwing.

I’ll try that, thanks :hatoff:

Postby vodkadiet1

lhpirnie wrote:
Prop wrote:
RunningSide wrote:
Prop wrote:Something was bugging me last night reading this, and I knew there was something I did the other way round. It just didn’t come to me. But I’ve remembered.

I used to fire a catapult as a left-hander would. I’d imagine I still would if I was still a badly behaved 13 year old boy <laugh> I believe the normal way for a right-hander would be to hold the catapult handle with the left hand and draw back the elastic with the right. For whatever reason I did it the other way round.

It’s a strange thing to suddenly remember. Not the sort of thing your brain tends to take with you into adulthood. But after reading this I knew there was something.

I was a bit of a bad lad. Good at making things, and very technical, but I focused my talents in the wrong place. Home made catapults, pellet guns, and so on. This thread has been quite an odd reminder of that. I’m all sensible and grown up now. Sort of.

Got me thinking similar thoughts, l fire pellet guns left handed, feeling its more of left eye sighting than preferred hand.

Could be. I don’t really know whether I’m left or right eye dominant. Could explain a lot of missed pots <laugh>

Stand away from a mirror, make a heart-shape with your hands and look at yourself through it. Then close each eye in turn and see which makes you move.

I am left handed and left-eye dominant, and do almost everything left-handed except for throwing.

Interesting. Also try and stand still and get someone to push you forward. Whichever foot you use to stop yourself is usually your dominant foot if you have a dominant foot.

Postby vodkadiet1

One of the best examples of cross handedness is Ivan Lendl. Number one in men's tennis for several years and a multiple major champion as a right handed player but is left handed in everything else he does. This is the mirror image of Rafael Nadal who plays tennis left handed but is right handed in every other aspect. Lendl was a single hander compared to Nadal so Lendl is more cross handed.

Postby SnookerEd25

Shouldn’t the thread be entitled ‘ambidexterity’? :chin:

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerEd25 wrote:Shouldn’t the thread be entitled ‘ambidexterity’? :chin:

I don't think so. True ambidexterity would be where all tasks are able to be performed equally well with either hand by an individual.

Whereas this thread is about mixed handedness where an individual is adept at different tasks with different hands, dependent on the task.

Most people fit into the second category to at least some extent. The former is very rare.

Postby SnookerEd25

Fair enough. It just looked a clumsy thread title is all.
<ok>

Postby vodkadiet1

Not quite. Ambidexterity refers to someone who is just as good with either hand or even leg at any task as the other. This is actually very rare.

Postby vodkadiet1

HappyCamper wrote:

I don't think so. True ambidexterity would be where all tasks are able to be performed equally well with either hand by an individual.

Whereas this thread is about mixed handedness where an individual is adept at different tasks with different hands, dependent on the task.

Most people fit into the second category to at least some extent. The former is very rare.

Sorry, I missed this. Very well explained Happy Camper.

There is a similar word to ambidextrous that refers to someone who struggles to perform tasks with either hand. I cannot remember what it is at present!

Postby LDS

vodkadiet1 wrote:There is a similar word to ambidextrous that refers to someone who struggles to perform tasks with either hand. I cannot remember what it is at present!

Butter Fingers.

Postby James Bentley

LDS wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:There is a similar word to ambidextrous that refers to someone who struggles to perform tasks with either hand. I cannot remember what it is at present!

Butter Fingers.

Cack-handedness.

Postby HustleKing

I drink, hurl (Irish sport) and play golf left handed. Oh and I also use my left hand to control my penis when taking a dump

Postby Holden Chinaski

HustleKing wrote:I drink, hurl (Irish sport) and play golf left handed. Oh and I also use my left hand to control my penis when taking a dump

Postby vodkadiet1

Empire State Human wrote:maybe indextrous?

Not bad research. But the word I was looking for was 'Ambisinistrous'.

Postby shanew48

Talking of crossing over, when will the WST see it's first transgender player? This decade?

Postby vodkadiet1

shanew48 wrote:Talking of crossing over, when will the WST see it's first transgender player? This decade?

You may jest but if any player on the men's tour wishes to identify as a woman then the WSA would be loathe to try to prevent them from playing on the women's tour because if they did the lawyers would be at Jason Ferguson's throat with lawsuits enough to choke him. Expect a Ryan Day vs Fergal O'Brien Women's World Championship final match with the aforementioned pair drenched in lipstick and mascara for the photographers benefit and an hour long discussion on Talk Sport.
Last edited by vodkadiet1 on 04 Jan 2022, edited 1 time in total.

Postby vodkadiet1

Hustleking

The key is what hand you use to help release the jizz. Are you getting your five a day? And if you are maybe you switch hands by evening? Recommended.

Postby shanew48

vodkadiet1 wrote:
shanew48 wrote:Talking of crossing over, when will the WST see it's first transgender player? This decade?

You may jest but if any player on the men's tour wishes to identify as a woman then the WSA would be loathe to try to prevent them from playing on the women's tour because if they did the lawyers would be at Jason Ferguson's throat with lawsuits enough to choke him. Expect a Ryan Day vs Fergal O'Brien Women's World Championship final match with the aforementioned pair drenched in lipstick and mascara for the photographers benefit and an hour long discussion on Talk Sport.

I didn't mean it in jest, am genuinely wondering when WST are going to step up and start promoting the game to the LGBT + community? Just like football has successfully done? Obviously there must be gays on the tour but they not out and proud at this point.

Postby vodkadiet1

shanew48 wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:

I didn't mean it in jest, am genuinely wondering when WST are going to step up and start promoting the game to the LGBT + community? Just like football has successfully done? Obviously there must be gays on the tour but they not out and proud at this point.

If you are a snooker fan then surely you support the player for their prowess on the baize and not their prowess in the bedroom? If a fan's favourite player came out as gay why would they stop supporting them unless they were homphobic? Shaun Murphy used to pronounce his Christianity. I don't know if he is still a Christian and if he isn't he has no doubt lost a few Christian snooker fans. Herein lies a problem with the fan who decides whether or not he supports a player depending on their religious beliefs or homophobic views. It is not relevant to how a player plays or how he counducts himself on the baize.

Postby LDS

As we are all well aware, shanew48 doesn't really enjoy snooker for the snooker but has just chosen this sport as his version of daily gossip interest.

A player could make non-stop 147s in every frame of the World Championship & shane would still be looking to see if they'd tied their shoes with a single or double knot as the basis for discussion.

Postby vodkadiet1

LDS wrote:As we are all well aware, shanew48 doesn't really enjoy snooker for the snooker but has just chosen this sport as his version of daily gossip interest.

A player could make non-stop 147s in every frame of the World Championship & shane would still be looking to see if they'd tied their shoes with a single or double knot as the basis for discussion.

I haven't read much of what he has said so I wasn't aware of all he has said in the past. I just address what questions are asked regardless of who asks the question.
Last edited by vodkadiet1 on 04 Jan 2022, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Juddernaut88

LDS wrote:As we are all well aware, shanew48 doesn't really enjoy snooker for the snooker but has just chosen this sport as his version of daily gossip interest.

rofl

Postby shanew48

vodkadiet1 wrote:
shanew48 wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:

If you are a snooker fan then surely you support the player for their prowess on the baize and not their prowess in the bedroom? If a fan's favourite player came out as gay why would they stop supporting them unless they were homphobic? Shaun Murphy used to pronounce his Christianity. I don't know if he is still a Christian and if he isn't he has no doubt lost a few Christian snooker fans. Herein lies a problem with the fan who decides whether or not he supports a player depending on their religious beliefs or homophobic views. It is not relevant to how a player plays or how he counducts himself on the baize.

Presumably Murphy discussing his christianity in the past helped promote that cause or at least could have changed some peoples perceptions of Christianity and shown it in a more positive light, that's the point I'm trying to make, so it isn't really about the actual snooker but more about a societal issue gaining more exposure through a trans player appearing on a terrestrial television channel.

You seem like an intelligent person so I'm sure you see what I'm saying.

Postby shanew48

Dan-cat wrote:Is there a trans player?

Not as yet, nor a gay player officially, doesn't seem to be any outreach programme from WST for whatever reason.