Post a reply

Cross handedness.

Postby vodkadiet1

Snooker has a lot of left handed players. Some are left handed in their every day lives and some cross over to right handedness, As someone who crosses over to different hands depending on the activity I wonder what hand you use for different tasks?
Last edited by vodkadiet1 on 17 Nov 2021, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Cross handedness.

Postby Prop

I wave with my left hand.

Postby HappyCamper

Once on a north sea ferry crossing the drummer in the band would change between right and left handed in the same song.

Postby Juddernaut88

I'm right handed but there was a time when I used to be be able to bowl left handed in Cricket.
I've lost that spark now though unfortunately.

Postby vodkadiet1

Juddernaut88 wrote:I'm right handed but there was a time when I used to be be able to bowl left handed in Cricket.
I've lost that spark now though unfortunately.

It is accumulated practice. You need to keep you eye in (arm in). Use both arms as much as you can. If you break your good arm you will wish you had practiced more with your weaker arm.

I am left handed at tennis and at writing but right handed for nearly all other tasks. But I still practice all tasks with my less dominant arm.

Postby Iranu

I learned to write left-handed when I broke my right arm as a kid

Postby vodkadiet1

Iranu wrote:I learned to write left-handed when I broke my right arm as a kid

:hatoff:

Postby Iranu

When I snap my fingers I do it with my left hand

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:When I snap my fingers I do it with my left hand

Naturally. You’re holding the mic stand with the other.

Postby Iranu

Prop wrote:

How did you know my nickname for it?

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:
Prop wrote:

How did you know my nickname for it?

<laugh>

Postby chengdufan

I'm right-handed, but do a lot of things left-handed. I think it came from desperately wanting to be left-handed when I was a kid and so doing lots of practice. There are certainly some things that I naturally do left-handed though, such as opening bottles and jars, ironing, mopping the floor...
I'm both footed, which definitely helped with my football. I could hit the ball harder with my right foot, but precision kicks were always easier with my left. I played left-wing and crossed and passed the ball better with my left-foot, but could shoot better with my right.

For snooker, I'm very much right-handed. I prefer playing left-handed to using the rest, although the results would suggest it should be otherwise. The reality is that I pot balls much more often when using the rest, but it is so much more satisfying playing a good shot with my left-hand that I invariably choose that option, to the detriment of my chances of making the shot.

Postby vodkadiet1

chengdufan wrote:I'm right-handed, but do a lot of things left-handed. I think it came from desperately wanting to be left-handed when I was a kid and so doing lots of practice. There are certainly some things that I naturally do left-handed though, such as opening bottles and jars, ironing, mopping the floor...
I'm both footed, which definitely helped with my football. I could hit the ball harder with my right foot, but precision kicks were always easier with my left. I played left-wing and crossed and passed the ball better with my left-foot, but could shoot better with my right.

For snooker, I'm very much right-handed. I prefer playing left-handed to using the rest, although the results would suggest it should be otherwise. The reality is that I pot balls much more often when using the rest, but it is so much more satisfying playing a good shot with my left-hand that I invariably choose that option, to the detriment of my chances of making the shot.

:hatoff:

Postby RunningSide

I write with my right hand, play golf,cricket left-hand, Strangely open bottles and jars left-handed and I'm left footed,does this sound unusual.

Postby LDS

RunningSide wrote:I write with my right hand, play golf,cricket left-hand, Strangely open bottles and jars left-handed and I'm left footed,does this sound unusual.

I'm exactly the same in every regard you mention.

Postby Prop

Something was bugging me last night reading this, and I knew there was something I did the other way round. It just didn’t come to me. But I’ve remembered.

I used to fire a catapult as a left-hander would. I’d imagine I still would if I was still a badly behaved 13 year old boy <laugh> I believe the normal way for a right-hander would be to hold the catapult handle with the left hand and draw back the elastic with the right. For whatever reason I did it the other way round.

It’s a strange thing to suddenly remember. Not the sort of thing your brain tends to take with you into adulthood. But after reading this I knew there was something.

I was a bit of a bad lad. Good at making things, and very technical, but I focused my talents in the wrong place. Home made catapults, pellet guns, and so on. This thread has been quite an odd reminder of that. I’m all sensible and grown up now. Sort of.

Postby RunningSide

Prop wrote:Something was bugging me last night reading this, and I knew there was something I did the other way round. It just didn’t come to me. But I’ve remembered.

I used to fire a catapult as a left-hander would. I’d imagine I still would if I was still a badly behaved 13 year old boy <laugh> I believe the normal way for a right-hander would be to hold the catapult handle with the left hand and draw back the elastic with the right. For whatever reason I did it the other way round.

It’s a strange thing to suddenly remember. Not the sort of thing your brain tends to take with you into adulthood. But after reading this I knew there was something.

I was a bit of a bad lad. Good at making things, and very technical, but I focused my talents in the wrong place. Home made catapults, pellet guns, and so on. This thread has been quite an odd reminder of that. I’m all sensible and grown up now. Sort of.

Got me thinking similar thoughts, l fire pellet guns left handed, feeling its more of left eye sighting than preferred hand.

Postby RunningSide

LDS wrote:
RunningSide wrote:I write with my right hand, play golf,cricket left-hand, Strangely open bottles and jars left-handed and I'm left footed,does this sound unusual.

We're more compatible than the wife,fancy a winter wedding.

Postby LDS

RunningSide wrote:
LDS wrote:

Oh, I dunno yet, I fire guns right handed, also right handed at snooker.

Postby RunningSide

LDS wrote:
RunningSide wrote:
LDS wrote:

I'm right handed at snooker, we could have a shotgun wedding.

Postby Prop

RunningSide wrote:
Prop wrote:Something was bugging me last night reading this, and I knew there was something I did the other way round. It just didn’t come to me. But I’ve remembered.

Got me thinking similar thoughts, l fire pellet guns left handed, feeling its more of left eye sighting than preferred hand.

Could be. I don’t really know whether I’m left or right eye dominant. Could explain a lot of missed pots <laugh>

Postby LDS

RunningSide wrote:
LDS wrote:
RunningSide wrote:
LDS wrote:

I'm right handed at snooker, we could have a shotgun wedding.

Meh, ok then, guess I got nothing better to do today :shrug:

Postby Sickpotter

I'm right handed in everything I do except snooker.

No idea why.....just felt more natural to me I guess.

Strangely enough when it comes to rest play I'm equally bad with either hand but right handed feels more natural.

I often wonder if I had stuck with using what felt more natural instead of forcing myself to use my left if I'd have a more respectable rest game. :chin:

Postby Muller

I write left handed, play any cue sport left handed, play darts left handed, play guitar left handed.

However, I always use a cricket bat or golf club right handed, use a computer mouse right handed and use all remote controls right handed.

What a freak.

Postby lhpirnie

Prop wrote:
RunningSide wrote:

Could be. I don’t really know whether I’m left or right eye dominant. Could explain a lot of missed pots <laugh>

Stand away from a mirror, make a heart-shape with your hands and look at yourself through it. Then close each eye in turn and see which makes you move.

I am left handed and left-eye dominant, and do almost everything left-handed except for throwing.

Postby RunningSide

Tried this and wet myself, what's that mean?