Post a reply

Best snooker ever played in a world final?

Steve Davis 1989
7%
Stephen Hendry 1993
17%
Stephen Hendry 1999
No votes
John Higgins 1998
3%
Ronnie O'Sullivan 2004
7%
Ronnie O'Sullivan 2013
20%
Judd Trump 2019
47%
Other
No votes

Total votes : 30

Re: Best snooker ever played in a world final

Postby SnookerEd25

Or King Joe in ‘86. Not an option here, but he played snooker from the Gods; never before, never since, but during the last 5 days of the Crucible that year he was untouchable. Almost the Grandfather of (so called) ‘naughty’ snooker :bowdown: :hatoff:

Postby badtemperedcyril

SnookerEd25 wrote:Or King Joe in ‘86. Not an option here, but he played snooker from the Gods; never before, never since, but during the last 5 days of the Crucible that year he was untouchable. Almost the Grandfather of (so called) ‘naughty’ snooker :bowdown: :hatoff:

He was certainly inspirational. From 9-12 down to TG he played with a sense of destiny.

Postby Wildey

sas6789 wrote:
orky wrote:I've actually voted for O' Sullivan in 2004, really good all round performance. Hendry was superb in 1993 albeit more one dimensional.

Watch The Hendry-Davis world semi 1994 and tell me Hendry was one dimensional.

Theres this myth that Hendry himself has added to the fire that he couldnt play safe.

When Hendry came through the ranks he had to learn safeties and learn them well the players of that era truly grinded hard like Thornton did in 1987 ranking semi and beat Hendry 9-1.

Snooker hasent changed you make it as difficult as you can to score whats changed is the players not many interested in grinding any more so its easier for the potters to score.

Postby mick745

From what i remember of the 1989 final was Davis didnt have to play that well to win, Parrott was just gone.

On the second day when Parrott did not have any fight in him to make a recovery, Davis looked almost embarrassed at winning so easily.

Postby badtemperedcyril

mick745 wrote:From what i remember of the 1989 final was Davis didnt have to play that well to win, Parrott was just gone.

On the second day when Parrott did not have any fight in him to make a recovery, Davis looked almost embarrassed at winning so easily.

Agreed. Parrott offered little resistance in 89. As for great final performances though, Parrott himself in 91 was pretty devastating - the first session especially, Jimmy didn’t have a chance.