Post a reply

Re: Alex Higgins 1949-2010

Postby Rocket_ron

i have to laugh at some of the posts on here, people saying their shocked! Why?? Im not, its not nice to say this but he has been knocking at deaths door for years and years. i can rememer when i was still school age watching a documentary about him and at the end it shown him looking real ill sitting in a pub with a drink shouting at the tv cos he was betting. im 26 next so that must be at least 10 years ago. how he has stayed alive all this time is beyond me.

Now im sad he has died and really gonna miss him, what he did for snooker was honerable. But im not Shocked

Postby Roland

I remember that. It was in a bookmakers I think and he was shouting "Come on Silver Robin" and I was in shock because I couldn't believe that was him.

Postby N_Castle07

RIP to a true snooker god. I was shocked and sad to hear the news on Saturday night. Although we all knew how ill he was it was still a shock because you just expected Higgins to fight on and last forever. I’m truly gutted I didn’t go to watch him live when I had the chance and am very envious of a lot of you who have had the pleasure of watching Higgins play.

Postby Rocket_ron

Sonny wrote:I remember that. It was in a bookmakers I think and he was shouting "Come on Silver Robin" and I was in shock because I couldn't believe that was him.

thats it sonny, how long ago was that?

Postby Wildey

rocket_ron wrote:
Sonny wrote:I remember that. It was in a bookmakers I think and he was shouting "Come on Silver Robin" and I was in shock because I couldn't believe that was him.

thats it sonny, how long ago was that?

VERY LONG AGO

i couldnt believe it in around 2007 years later he was on This Morning talking about his book eye of the hurricane and he looked a million miles better than he did in that documentary.

yes im not shocked the only thing im shocked about that a man struggling with cancer since he was 49 and not 1 cancer but recurring and different cancer lived until he was 61.

Postby Monique

He was cleared from cancer actually. He died from malnutrition, and years of abuse on his own body, through alcohol and tobacco. That might not be a nice thing to say right now but it is the truth.
That doesn't change a thing to what he did for snooker playing the way he did and how he massively contributed to the success of the game. For that he will always be remembered.

Postby N_Castle07

Monique wrote:He was cleared from cancer actually. He died from malnutrition, and years of abuse on his own body, through alcohol and tobacco. That might not be a nice thing to say right now but it is the truth.
That doesn't change a thing to what he did for snooker playing the way he did and how he massively contributed to the success of the game. For that he will always be remembered.

Yes when the news broke the media used the long battle with cancer story. This is missleading as he was cleared as you say. The cancer played a role in his death due to him not having his own teeth due to cancer although IMO I think his death was always on the cards due to his heavy drinking regardless of the cancer.

Postby Casey

I remember Alex being at the 2001 Irish Masters final. Outside before the second session the bouncers had him at one side considering whether or not to let him in. I could hear him say ‘they told me to put a waistcoat on and come down’.

I didn’t see him again until the trophy presentation when he came out of nowhere wearing a long coat, he staggered towards Ronnie who had the trophy in his hands, I couldn’t make out what he was saying but you could see the genuine affection in Ronnie’s eyes even though Alex was tanked. On his way out he staggered backwards and ripped open his coat to reveal a shinny stars waistcoat, he received a massive cheer from the crowd.

Postby Wildey

Mon

its connected he lost his teeth because of cancer that meant he couldnt Live a normal life so where as others might have toed the Party line and listened to Doctors he said what the Hell the only enjoyment i have these days is a pint and a fag.

Postby Sickpotter

Terrible news and a sad day for all who love the game :(

It's great to see all the tributes pouring in but I'm really wanting to see/hear what Jimmy has to say. He's been closer to Alex than anyone but I haven't seen any articles that carry a statement from him :huh:

I'm guessing Jimmy's probably just too broken up right now to give a statement :(

RIP Alex, a true great of the game. :clap:

Postby Wildey

sickpotter wrote:Terrible news and a sad day for all who love the game :(

It's great to see all the tributes pouring in but I'm really wanting to see/hear what Jimmy has to say. He's been closer to Alex than anyone but I haven't seen any articles that carry a statement from him :huh:

I'm guessing Jimmy's probably just too broken up right now to give a statement :(

daily mirror mate ive posted it in snooker webospere http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-storie ... -22440114/

Postby Eirebilly

sickpotter wrote:Terrible news and a sad day for all who love the game :(

A simple quote from Jimmy 3 hours after he heard the news in Thailand.

"Always loved him and will miss him forever!!"

Pretty fantastic sentiment in my book.

Postby N_Castle07

Clive Everton is on Radio 5 Live at 9pm tonight to talk about Higgins. I will be tuning in.

Postby Wildey

N_Castle07 wrote:Clive Everton is on Radio 5 Live at 9pm tonight to talk about Higgins. I will be tuning in.

<ok>

thanx mate im not a big radio listener so i rely on forums to know whats happening regarding radio interviews

Postby Noel

N_Castle07 wrote:Clive Everton is on Radio 5 Live at 9pm tonight to talk about Higgins. I will be tuning in.

Thanks for that heads up mate.
Clive's written response was very moving and I hope I can hear him live.
Do you know if Radio 5 is streamed on the web?

Cheers.

=o)

Noel

Postby SnookerFan

thetubberlad wrote:I think as a snooker fan it's something I have to do. I'll try my level best to express my sympathies, whether it means travelling to the other end of the country or not. I've been out tonight, but a drink never tasted so bitter. I didn't grow up watching Alex Higgins, and for that I am the poorer... Ronnie O'Sullivan really is the poor mans Alex Higgins, but even that in a way is not fair. There will never be another Alex Higgins, he's a one off. And therein lies his appeal.

Ireland's greatest ever snooker player. Rest in peace to a true legend. It's the first time I've shed a tear for a snooker player, for all his faults.

:rose:

I too was out when I heard the news, I was in the local pub. Had been out drinking with mates on and off all day, but stifled a bitter smile at the thought of finding out of his death whilst in my local pub. I am glad you were too, to be honest. Somehow it feels like what he would have wanted. <laugh>
Last edited by SnookerFan on 26 Jul 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Noel

Good UP Sonny... best quality footage of Alex ever... a must see.

=o)

Noel

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:
thetubberlad wrote:I think as a snooker fan it's something I have to do. I'll try my level best to express my sympathies, whether it means travelling to the other end of the country or not. I've been out tonight, but a drink never tasted so bitter. I didn't grow up watching Alex Higgins, and for that I am the poorer... Ronnie O'Sullivan really is the poor mans Alex Higgins, but even that in a way is not fair. There will never be another Alex Higgins, he's a one off. And therein lies his appeal.

Ireland's greatest ever snooker player. Rest in peace to a true legend. It's the first time I've shed a tear for a snooker player, for all his faults.

:rose:

I too was out when I heard the news, I was in the local pub. Had been out drinking with mates on and off all night, but stifled a bitter smile at the thought of finding out of his death whilst in my local pub. I am glad you were too, to be honest. Somehow it feels like what he would have wanted. <laugh>

Likewise i also had a drink in my hand when i heard :) I just kinda froze and left the rest of the wedding party and went outside for a few moments to myself to try and take it in. Didnt seem real :(

Postby Witz78

Noel wrote:Good UP Sonny... best quality footage of Alex ever... a must see.

=o)

Noel

yes its very good, i actually watched this a few months ago (cant believe i didtnt post a link to it here <doh> ) It was sad to watch at the time, but even more poignant now :sad:

Postby Wildey

it was a nice and very human side when he said that his daughter being born gave him most pleasure . even when you and he knew the interviewer was after a match or tournament as a answer.

Postby Witz78

rocket_ron wrote:i have to laugh at some of the posts on here, people saying their shocked! Why?? Im not, its not nice to say this but he has been knocking at deaths door for years and years. i can rememer when i was still school age watching a documentary about him and at the end it shown him looking real ill sitting in a pub with a drink shouting at the tv cos he was betting. im 26 next so that must be at least 10 years ago. how he has stayed alive all this time is beyond me.

Now im sad he has died and really gonna miss him, what he did for snooker was honerable. But im not Shocked

This was a BBC documentary from 2001. Its a cracking programme and id fully expect it to be repeated very soon as a tribute and probably with an addition to document the last 9 years of his life so it covers his whole life. I watched it at the time too, and i actually have it on DVD along with many other Higgins documentaries, matches etc. Infact only last week i watched the documentary, kinda spooky coincidence that now :sad:

Anyone wanting a copy of this or any other great snooker DVDs should check out Classic snooker DVDs for sale

He looked more of a mess in that documentary than he did in recent years id say, obviously that was just after a lot of the initial chemotherapy to control the cancer and put him into remission from it. After that he settled back into a routine of the occasional personal appearance, exhibition match but mainly just going down to the Royal or round to the likes of Robinsons, The Crown and some of the other pubs near the Europa Hotel just round the corner from his flat, where hed sit quietly in a corner with his trademark hat on studying the Racing Post and being interrupted occasionally be well wishers who send a drink over to him.

Will always regret never asking for a photo with him all the times i met him, i was actually too afraid to ask plus i didnt think hed like getting his picture taken given his appearance so i always prefered to suss out what kinda mood he looked in then decide whether to just send a drink over to him and give him a nod of acknowledgement or go over for a brief chat about snooker and life in general :)

The decline in the last 6 months or so was alarming though and very sad to see. Whilst it wasnt really a shock it still was as you get that used to him having survived through the cancer for so long and being almost immortal. In some ways he is though, the legend of The Hurricane will always live on. Just glad im of an age to be old enough to remember snooker in the 80s. Hes most definetly the biggest influence on me getting into snooker from an early age and will always be my favourite player of all time. <ok>

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:Hes most definetly the biggest influence on me getting into snooker from an early age and will always be my favourite player of all time. <ok>

me to <ok>

Postby mediter

Yep, Alex Higgins was a huge natural talent, very similar to Efren reys IMO. Although, Efren is much more composed has to be said... Only other comparsion would be between Alex and George Best, so that tells a story, right.... Alex, genius and legend

Postby Roland

I would say Joe Davis is the Godfather of Snooker, but Alex was certainly the most important player since him.

Postby Wildey

Joe Davis was the Godfather but also the establishment. Alex Higgins was the man of the people that brought snooker in to mainstream of peoples imagination.

Postby SnookerFan

You want to know a spooky coincedence? I was wearing a Hurricane Higgins t-shirt the day he died....

Tell you what though, I'd love to see a snooker tournament held in his honour, with some of the snooker legends, and maybe some of the young guys who appreciated his legacy. Maybe only over a weekend, but call it the Alex Higgins Memorial Cup or something. All proceeds going to a charity in his memory, or something. Has he got any family that'd benefit from the money?

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:You want to know a spooky coincedence? I was wearing a Hurricane Higgins t-shirt the day he died....

Tell you what though, I'd love to see a snooker tournament held in his honour, with some of the snooker legends, and maybe some of the young guys who appreciated his legacy. Maybe only over a weekend, but call it the Alex Higgins Memorial Cup or something. All proceeds going to a charity in his memory, or something. Has he got any family that'd benefit from the money?

His 2 daughters could be the benefactors of any money raised. Ive often wondered what sort of contact they had with their father given the volatile relationship he had with their mothers and the acrimonious breakups.

Id love to see the Northern Irish Trophy come back as The Alex Higgins Trophy.

If not then your idea for a one off event with the likes of Ronnie, Jimmy, Drago, Kirk Stevens, Mark Allen etc would be a fitting tribute

Postby Wildey

He had a son so hes left out with nothing lol