Post a reply

Re: Alex Higgins 1949-2010

Postby gallantrabbit

gallantrabbit wrote:JV is one clever fellow. he knew he didn't have the ability to stay at the top of snooker so re-marketed himself and deserved to get the Big break gig. He should be great at the story telling. He's a permanent compere and has worked a lot with Jimmy on the 'corporate' side.

Well Sonny I'm just thinking of the career he's made for himself outside actually playing the game. Of course he was a decent player, but held on less time than many of the original cast, but apart from the impressions which obviously added a little fame to his exhibition name, he got involved with Big break, commentary and has had a nice line going with JImmy and previously Higgins to keep himself busy. Doesn't always sound the business, but I might even prefer his bank account to Jimmy's...? what do you reckon?

Postby Roland

That doesn't make him clever though. I think without his impressions that he still does even to this day and that used to get air time during every World Championship, right now we wouldn't be talking about him. I don't think that was a masterstroke on his part, I think he got lucky and is reaping the rewards ever since. It's his personality and the fact he went out there and did impressions of other players that made him rather than being some sort of genius.

Postby gallantrabbit

I think there's a fair gap between being clever and taking advantage of what you do best and "being a genius"? That's all I meant. If you look at players with similar talent on the table like David Taylor or Patsy Fagan they've done very little after snooker in comparison.

Postby Roland

Yes it comes down to personality. People like JV all stemming from his impressions in the 80's which he never updated.

Postby Smart

gallantrabbit wrote:I think there's a fair gap between being clever and taking advantage of what you do best and "being a genius"? That's all I meant. If you look at players with similar talent on the table like David Taylor or Patsy Fagan they've done very little after snooker in comparison.

Aren't they both dead :|

Postby wheelsofsteel

Sonny wrote:Yes it comes down to personality. People like JV all stemming from his impressions in the 80's which he never updated.

Even now I laugh at him doing Dennis. Oh sorry, that is Dennis

Postby Witz78

My copy of the Higgins book by JV arrived today. just skimmed over it so far (always do that before i read a book properly)

Early indications, JV aint mincing his words and its not going to be ass licking towards Higgina.

Ebdon gets slagged in it.

Some cracking pics that i hadnt seen before.

Parrott coming across as the obnoxious hammer i always thought he was

Postby Smart

Witz78 wrote:My copy of the Higgins book by JV arrived today. just skimmed over it so far (always do that before i read a book properly)

Early indications, JV aint mincing his words and its not going to be ass licking towards Higgina.

sounds good :idea:

Postby Rocket_ron

Smart wrote:
Witz78 wrote:My copy of the Higgins book by JV arrived today. just skimmed over it so far (always do that before i read a book properly)

sounds good :idea:

smart, are you getting it?

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

wheelsofsteel wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12214471

Anyone got a piece of chalk used by Alex?

Or what about a bookies line?

A beer mat?

Any form of DNA material?

Christ, how much would a love child be worth right now.

Higgins is worth more dead at this rate than when the poor guy was alive.

Sick

Funny you say that. When I first heard about this spill, I've still got the peice of paper he gave me that he wrote his drink on when he came over & asked me to order it while he was playing, Bless him. Havana Club double, 2 bits of ice & a bottle of coke. Room number 533 Mr Higgins.

Reminds me of the time I went into a record store, asked for 3 album covers of Bad, by Micheal Jackson, when it was released to conincide with his tour, I signed Michael Jackson on them, stood outside Wembley Staduim for half an hour, sold each of them for £50, & wished I'd asked for more. :john:

Postby wheelsofsteel

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:
wheelsofsteel wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12214471

Anyone got a piece of chalk used by Alex?

Or what about a bookies line?

A beer mat?

Any form of DNA material?

Christ, how much would a love child be worth right now.

Higgins is worth more dead at this rate than when the poor guy was alive.

Sick

Funny you say that. When I first heard about this spill, I've still got the peice of paper he gave me that he wrote his drink on when he came over & asked me to order it while he was playing, Bless him. Havana Club double, 2 bits of ice & a bottle of coke. Room number 533 Mr Higgins.

Reminds me of the time I went into a record store, asked for 3 album covers of Bad, by Micheal Jackson, when it was released to conincide with his tour, I signed Michael Jackson on them, stood outside Wembley Staduim for half an hour, sold each of them for £50, & wished I'd asked for more. :john:

asked for more?

what, like being black(ish) or being able to dance? :afro: (1970 look) :snowman: (2001 onwards)

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

wheelsofsteel wrote:asked for more?

what, like being black(ish) or being able to dance? :afro: (1970 look) :snowman: (2001 onwards)

Album covers.

Postby Wildey

unbelievable what people will pay for tat..

if i sell thoes with my name on it id probably get a black eye lol

Postby Eirebilly

Wild wrote:unbelievable what people will pay for tat..

if i sell thoes with my name on it id probably get a black eye lol

It really is getting quite ridiculous isnt it.

Postby Roland

I started reading Virgo's book last night. I hope there are going to be some funny/interesting stories later on because if I've got to put up with the dreadful writing style for much longer I'll lose the will to live. It is shoddy in the extreme, probably the most badly written book I've ever tried reading. It shouldn't take too long to finish, after which I'll let you know the best bits to save you the bother of trawling through it yourselves.

Postby wheelsofsteel

Every time I see the legends name coming up on this thread I suddenly think someone had found an Alex Higgins DNA-smeared 'Kiss Me Quick' hat from Blackpool (circa 1994 qualifiers) that was going up for auction with a reserve price of £1.7 million

Postby gallantrabbit

Well I'll give it a go when I come over in March. Did Virgo write it himself? Why didn't he get a ghost writer?? :huh: Too tight I guess.
Will have to hunt down my photo with Higgins from years back after an exhibition at King's Cross. Not to sell naturally...

Postby Roland

I think Virgo spoke and someone with a keyboard typed it out literally word for word. That's how it reads anyway. I will persist because the main thing is it's one mans account of Alex Higgins from the inside so historically it's of interest to me. But dear me it is poorly written.