Post a reply

Best doubles team

Postby Jack50

In an all star World Championship which two players would you take as a doubles team if they were playing for your life (alternate shot)? Same frames format as a WSC, difference being doubles alternate.

Just for this to work - Ronnie plays properly because your life is on the line, he won't forfeit frames or matches (lol)

Although my head considers Hendry my heart says Ronnie and Selby - especially considering the history they have together.

Re: Best doubles team

Postby Andre147

MJW and Ronnie would actually make a pretty damn good doubles team, they have even played together before. I think that would be my pick.

Postby Prop

Are we saying according to current form? Or all-time peak?

If it’s current form, hmmmm… maybe Selby and Judd.

All-time, Ron and Hendry.

Postby RunningSide

Terry Griffiths and Hebdon one frame playing alternate shots would see most people die from natural causes.

Postby orky

Either John Higgins or Steve Davis or Mark Selby with Ronnie O Sullivan. They would be unbeatable. I'm not sure about peak Trumph or Hendry due to their safety games/ tactical nouse although Trumph would be better than Hendry at this department.

Postby Jack50

Prop wrote:Are we saying according to current form? Or all-time peak?

If it’s current form, hmmmm… maybe Selby and Judd.

All-time, Ron and Hendry.

All-time peak is the easiest way of putting it without getting too complicated. However, they would have to maintain a chemistry or non chemistry together. I.e. Ronnie and Selby knowing each other better than Ronnie and Hendry. The fact Ronnie mentioned he'd form a strong team with Selby makes me think the two would feed off each other well when they have played against each other a lot. Gives me more confidence than going in more blind with Ronnie and Hendry. Just a personal opinion though. I only considered Ronnie + Selby or Ronnie + Hendry playing for my life.

Postby Dragonfly

I used to enjoy the doubles years ago. Was fun when White and Higgins teamed up. Actually the time they won it I think was the best I've ever seen Alex play on TV.

Postby Johnny Bravo

You need a balanced team.
ROS + Hendry, ROS + Judd, Trump + Hendry - do not work, cause they are too offense oriented
Neither do Selby + Davis, Selby + Higgins, Davis + Higgins.

You'd need a ATG attacker (ROS, Hendry, Trump) + and ATG defender (Davis, Higgins, Selby)

Also, ROS + Higgins won't work, cause ROS will try to hump Higgins. :chuckle:

Postby SnookerEd25

Badsnookerplayer wrote:I wouldn't bet against a Stephen Maguire and Jamie Burnett doubles pairing.

It’s playing - not drinking ‘em :no:

Postby Badsnookerplayer

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:I wouldn't bet against a Stephen Maguire and Jamie Burnett doubles pairing.

It’s playing - not drinking ‘em :no:

<laugh>

Postby CaldoTheKid

My money is on Quinten Hann & Stephen Lee. Although I do think John Higgins & Cao Yupeng would give them a good run for their money.