Is Jimmy White a giant of the game?

Yes
86%
No
14%

Total votes : 22

Re: Is Jimmy White a giant of the game?

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

orky wrote:I guess it's all subjective at the end of the day. I class him as an all time great mainly based on achievements at the table, not because of popularity etc. Lower tier all time great, yes. 10 raking titles from the eighties and early nineties (yes I take note of the surprise win in 2004) is worth probably 20+ rankers these days. There were so few rankers back in the eighties, steadily increasing over time. Funnily enough, had he won one of those 6 world finals wouldn't have made much difference to where I would place him on the all time greats list.

He's underrated for his achievements on the table. He won every big tournament apart from the World Championship and did everything in that apart from winning it. He's won three long format tournaments with four session finals.

Postby Dragonfly

At his peak White was a superb player, hugely entertaining and exciting to watch. And actually has a decent enough haul of titles to his name. He was also one of the most popular sportsmen in Britain, much loved for the way he played, and inspiring to the next generation of players.

If I was making a top 10 list of all time greatest players he probably wouldn't make it. But for what he achieved, how he played, and giving years of entertainment to millions of people then he is a giant.

Postby mick745

He has made a significant contribution to the sport's history, 6 world finals, the Hendry-White rival being one of the greatest rivalries in the sport's history.

So i would say yes.

Postby Lastwarrior

mick745 wrote:He has made a significant contribution to the sport's history, 6 world finals, the Hendry-White rival being one of the greatest rivalries in the sport's history.

So i would say yes.

I agree. I definitely rate Jimmy as one of the really great players. Besides his fast game, I also like him because of his fairness. Also I read an article on the Australian betting portal wetten.com that he has ensured particularly lucrative figures for the bookmakers.

Postby Pink Ball

Six-time world championship finalist. Ten-time semi-finalist. UK champion. Masters champion. Two-time British Open champion. Two-time Classic champion. Scottish Masters champion. Two-time Irish Masters champion.

Jimmy White is an all-time great, and that's backed up with an all-time great's CV.