Post a reply

Re: Best player without a televised 147

Postby mantorok

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Johnny B.

One day I will. :happy:

You can't even televise a century, how you going to manage a 147?

Postby Juddernaut88

mantorok wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

rofl

Postby mick745

lhpirnie wrote:Since 1990, only two 'Triple Crown' winners haven't made a professional 147. But it's hard to verify whether some of them weren't televised.

Is this true? McManus, Hunter and Bingtao spring to mind?

Postby SnookerEd25

Dan-cat wrote:John Spencer <laugh>

Oof. Below the belt there, Dan; it’s a good thing John has passed, ‘cos that would have killed him :hmmm:

Postby Johnny Bravo

mantorok wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

I don't want my face all over the internet, that's why I haven't televised anything.
As for the 147, I said I hope one day I'd might make one, I did not say I will stay with a camera on me every time I play, in case I might make one.

Postby LDS

<laugh>

This topic has tempted me to do some data-mining.

There's an suggestion in the OP that 147s have become a bit ten a penny recently.

But is this actually the case?

Also, some evidence proving that World Championship 147s are indeed harder to come by than in other tournaments.

So:

Looking at the WSC 147s, over 50% have come from just 2 players, Hendry and O'Sullivan with 3 apiece. Well, they are hardly representative of the whole game getting more 147s more regularly. Aside from those 2, another two come from Higgins and MJW. Well, you'd think those two would probably get one wouldn't you, we're probably more surprised they never got more. That only leaves Thorburn's first, White in '92 and Carter's.

That's no great cavalcade of 147s.

And it's not modern either.

1 = 1980s
3 = 1990s
5= 2000s
1= 2010s
1 = 2020s

From those stats, 147s have been dropping off significantly. At least in the WSC.

What I noticed from looking at these 147s was that, even with brilliant players, like Hendry & the like, they tended to get them quite late on in their career.

The only 147 made at the Crucible by any player ever, even in the qualifiers, when that player was under 25 was once by Ronnie O'Sullivan, when he was 21 - that super fast one.

That's it.

Hendry only made his first at 26, and he's the next youngest on the list.

Only four 147s have ever been made at the WSC, including qualifiers, by anyone under 30, and two of those were RoS. Carter is actually the third youngest at a whopping 28.

This, to me, is additional proof that a WSC 147 is indeed much harder than any other 147. Because it requires so much of that steely nerve that can only come with age.

So now I'm looking at age of players in ALL competitions getting 147s and the result was:

only 19.6% of all 147s ever made in pro competition were by people under 25. And the breakdown of those youngsters is:

1 = 1980s (Davis)
11 = 1990s
12 = 2000s
8 = 2010s
1 = 2020s

Suggesting, again, that 147s are actually in a decline - or, rather, that new great players are in a decline.

However, it would make sense that 147s are going up in frequency generally, because the snooker scene is so much 'older' now, there are so many more players who have reached a stage in their career when going for a 147 doesn't send their ball sack into their mouth with nerves.

Postby Andre147

Good analysis LDS!

Yes, making a 147 at the Crucible Theatre is harder than any other tournament.

This is why I firmly believe that, at the Crucible, and Crucible only, the prize for a 147 should be 147 000 pounds like in the past.

Postby badtemperedcyril

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Prop wrote:I’ve had a few 147s myself. On the PS4 game Snooker 19. And - just like centuries on ten foot tables - they didn’t count.

My tons were all made on 10 foot tables. :mood: :irk: >-(

You're too modest JB - don't forget to tell everyone your balls weigh in 20 pounds each and you play with a 9 foot jobber

:snooker: :off:

Postby Prop

badtemperedcyril wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Prop wrote:I’ve had a few 147s myself. On the PS4 game Snooker 19. And - just like centuries on ten foot tables - they didn’t count.

You're too modest JB - don't forget to tell everyone your balls weigh in 20 pounds each and you play with a 9 foot jobber

pmsl

Postby SnookerFan

badtemperedcyril wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

Footage pending.

Postby Andre147

Certainly not Alex Higgins as his breakbuilding was never good enough despite some odd occasions, his cue ball control left a lot to be desired.

I'd say probably Stephen Lee, Alan McManus too.

Postby Cazoo

Andre147 wrote:Certainly not Alex Higgins as his breakbuilding was never good enough despite some odd occasions, his cue ball control left a lot to be desired.

I forget Lee never made one. He was definitely too good a player to not make one. It looks like his highest was a 145.

Postby SnookerEd25

Andre147 wrote:Certainly not Alex Higgins as his breakbuilding was never good enough despite some odd occasions, his cue ball control left a lot to be desired.

He (Higgins) almost got the first at the Crucible, though. Fell down on a tricky green (I think it was)

Postby Andre147

SnookerEd25 wrote:

He (Higgins) almost got the first at the Crucible, though. Fell down on a tricky green (I think it was)

Yes I watched that on Youtube, 1980 it was I think.

But just to say his overall breakbuilding wasnt great, he ran out of position too often or just missed sitters.

Postby shanew48

If you mean best as in talent but not made a televised 147 yet then Jack Lisowski presuming the first qualifying round of the 2012 UK Championship wasn't televised?

"The 2012/2013 season was a breakthrough year for Lisowski as he qualified for five ranking tournaments, including the World Championship, and reached his second final as a professional.[15] The first tournament he reached was the Australian Goldfields Open in Bendigo, by beating Dave Harold; he then lost 2–5 to Mark Davis in the first round.[15] He couldn't qualify for the next two events, but then defeated Chen Zhe and Joe Perry to feature in the UK Championship for the first time. In his match against Chen, Lisowski made his first 147 in competitive play.[16] In the first round of the event in York, Lisowski lost 2–6 to Stuart Bingham.[1"

Postby Holden Chinaski

Prop wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

FINALLY SOME HONESTY FROM THE KING OF bull

:ok: