Post a reply

Re: Ronnie O'Sullivan; The Crucible is boring / New tourname

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:Well... enjoy your drink and read again when you are sober lol! :roll: :D

sorry monique

but when i wrote the above messages Janie snake hissed me off about PTC3 ......Dont know what the problam is but its like World Snooker When all snooker copy was through World Snooker site.

if she would have messaged me to let me know what part of the PTC we can promote here it would be better but no its a skittish coment on thread thanks for nothing.

Postby Wildey

jafinkesaurus wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:monique im drunk / annoyed american off with the cretin this morning im not in the mood to read anything just wish he would intercourse off from my sport.

hes welcome in my sport tho <ok>

yes hes welcomed in mine 2 and as we have seen this morning i don't hold back with what i say so cant criticize him for that can i.

Postby Wildey

ill be honest i find the whole thing Boring this isn't wild the traditionalist talking this is wild that has got bored with shot clocks and find it ruines the PL these days....at first it was good new different and exciting but the novelty has worn off for the last 3 years.

i think if they continue to look for these ideas the real strength of the game will get neglected and forgeten about.

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:ill be honest i find the whole thing Boring this isn't wild the traditionalist talking this is wild that has got bored with shot clocks and find it ruines the PL these days....at first it was good new different and exciting but the novelty has worn off for the last 3 years.

i think if they continue to look for these ideas the real strength of the game will get neglected and forgeten about.

I just booked tickets for a Premier League event. But I agree with you. I haven't had Sky Sports for a while, and one season that I did have it I really tried to get into it, and watch it every week. But I just couldn't. The shot clock format is okay, but takes tension out of it somehow. And the fact that a match can end in a draw does also.

It's okay for a one-off night out. I'll probably watch a couple, but even a once-a-week tournament it gets dull quickly.

Postby Wildey

dont get me wrong i watch it same as ill watch power snooker unless PTC is televised of course but id rather watch 2 journeymen slugging it out over 25 frames.

Postby Noel

[quote="wildJONESEYEi don't hold back with what i say so cant criticize him for that can i.[/quote]

True. True.
However, the big difference worth considering is that unlike off-the-cuff post tournament wingeing or whatever,
this was a crazy promotional quote.
Ronnie was told to say what he did and he was paid to say what he did. And he did. And it made every news conduit in UK.
KA-CHING! for Ronnie.

If you don't like what he said, tell it to The Puppet Master.

=o\

Noel

Postby SnookerFan

I don't know what to make of this suggestion that Hearn asked Ronnie to say the Worlds were boring just to get people talking about the sport. It'd be far too risky that it would go wrong.

Monique made the point that some good may come of Ronnie's suggestion, in that the existing fan-base would be so outraged by Ronnie's comments that they'd shout it from everywhere they could that they loved the World Championship. Hearn must hear those complaints, and it confirms we want no Crucible change. Maybe Hearn thought it'd send a rallying cry to the existing fans, so we'd all jump on Ronnie and moan about it, and non-fans would see this and be impressed.

Somehow I doubt it though. I doubt anybody who isn't already interested in snooker has noticed what us snooker fans are saying. The papers have all claimed Ronnie thinks The Crucible is boring, but haven't reported that internet forums for snooker have been going mental at his comments. That isn't an interesting part of the story. All non-fans have seen are "Ronnie critcises sport!" They haven't seen any rebuttal.

Don't forget too, the image of snooker was already dragged through the gutter with the John Higgins story. Not saying John Higgins did it, but it's bad press for snooker already this year. Would Hearn risk more, in the hope that the existing fans would stand up and argue about it publically? And besides, since when has Ronnie toed the line and done/said what other people have asked him to.

If it was Hearn's plan, it's kind of backfired. Yes snooker is being discussed, but everybody is discussing what Ronnie said, and The Crucible. They aren't talking about Power Snooker, which is what he was supposed to be advertising to the masses.

Personally, the only reason I can think that Hearn would get anybody else to criticise the greatest snooker extravaganza of the year, is he wanted to change it. Which I don't think he does. I really does. If he does, I'll be straight on hearing calling for him to be fired, no matter what other good things he has done.

Which brings us back to the point Monique made. If fans get at Hearn, and insist they like the worlds, then fine. It'll do some good, and it'll reiterate that his idea that snooker has to be short to be worth watching doesn't always follow. We want long tournaments, with no gimmicks too. Ronnie's silly throwaway comment may do some good and make a point to Hearn. If it does, it'll not be the calamity that it could've been, but I also believe any good that comes from this will be entirely accidental, with no pre-planning on the part of Ronnie or Hearn.

Postby Monique

I want to make one thing clear: I don't think that Barry actually suggested to Ronnie to say he finds the WC boring. Ronnie has already said this before in fact: not that the WC IS boring but that it bores HIM to struggle for 17 days... So what I wonder is if Barry who is very shrewd was not aware of the possibility (maybe even probability) Ronnie would come out with this again, knew how the press would take it and was prepared to make the most of it. But all this is speculations ... I had no access to the man's mind ;)
BTW remember that John Higgins suggested not long before the WC that the final should be shortened? He got a lot of stick for it and the fans clearly showed they didn't like the idea. (However Higgins was not accused to bring the game in disripute ... just of being stupid). At the time Higgins was close to Hearn who was relying on him to help promote the game. Similar pattern?

Postby SnookerFan

Monique wrote:I want to make one thing clear: I don't think that Barry actually suggested to Ronnie to say he finds the WC boring. Ronnie has already said this before in fact: not that the WC IS boring but that it bores HIM to struggle for 17 days... So what I wonder is if Barry who is very shrewd was not aware of the possibility (maybe even probability) Ronnie would come out with this again, knew how the press would take it and was prepared to make the most of it. But all this is speculations ... I had no access to the man's mind ;)
BTW remember that John Higgins suggested not long before the WC that the final should be shortened? He got a lot of stick for it and the fans clearly showed they didn't like the idea. (However Higgins was not accused to bring the game in disripute ... just of being stupid). At the time Higgins was close to Hearn who was relying on him to help promote the game. Similar pattern?

Maybe, but with one or two pretty crucial differences. Higgins didn't say it at a press conference explicitly designed to promote the game. It was just a comment made during a time when player fatigue in the final was being discussed. Also, Higgins didn't claim that snooker was boring, or that the 17-day long showpiece event was boring. He merely suggested that there was a day off between the semi-final and the final so players could have a break. Personally I didn't think it was the most controversial suggestion. A bit unworkable perhaps, when you sat and thought about it. But surely a player suggesting the sport is boring in it's current form at a press conference promoting that game can be seen as an infinately more stupid comment then a player suggesting that they get a day off before the final.

If anything, Higgins suggestion that the world championship would be moved away from The Crucible I disliked more. I was quite upset that he suggested that, to be honest. I think he was looking at it from the side of bringing in new sponsors as the corporate facilities weren't up to much. Well intentiond perhaps, but I did find him more irritating when he said that, then when he suggested the day off. Both times though, I believe he had well intentioned, bad ideas. I'm not quite sure what Ronnie's intention was. In fact, I'm pretty sure he didn't have one. He just woke up one morning and decided he found it boring, so decided to tell everybody.

Postby N_Castle07

Monique wrote:Ronnie's comment neither assist nor harm the game. They won't change anything to anyone's opinion. And I really don't understand what you mean by "bring embarassment on the sport". Individuals (any individual) opinions or feelings don't harm a sport, any sport. It's only an individual's opinion.
If Tiger Wood was to say he's tired of golf or got bored in the Augusta Masters would that change your opinion on that sport? I"m sure it wouldn't. Would that harm golf as a global sport? No, I'm sure it wouldn't. It would make headlines, it would sell some papers and if anything sponsors would rejoyce although probably not in public.

I strongly disagree of course it would have an impact on the game. I can’t understand why people thinking the games biggest draw saying comments like this doesn’t matter.

If Tiger Wood was to say he's tired of golf or got bored in the Augusta Masters would that change your opinion on that sport?

Yes of course 100% because Tiger Woods is the biggest draw in golf and if he is saying it is boring it would have effect on me because I’m not a golfing fan. It would put me off. Now if I was a golfing fan then it wouldn’t affect me. And wasn’t the whole point of this Power Snooker to attract new fans to snooker. :huh2:

Postby Monique

If you are not a golfing fan you wouldn't give a cent whatever, whoever says about that sport because you are not inerested in it anyway.
And if Ronnie coments do have any impact on the game it will be apositive one for the reasons I exposed above.
Not that I think he should say such things, simply that I think this whole discussion is a storm in a tea cup, and a very small tea cup at that.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:If you are not a golfing fan you wouldn't give a cent whatever, whoever says about that sport because you are not inerested in it anyway.
And if Ronnie coments do have any impact on the game it will be apositive one for the reasons I exposed above.
Not that I think he should say such things, simply that I think this whole discussion is a storm in a tea cup, and a very small tea cup at that.

that has always been my point theres no real point in 6 reds,power snooker etc in the hope of attracting new fans because if you dont like to see players potting balls nothing will change that.

new formats ideas is great for the players even fans to have contrasting tournaments so that every thing doesn't look the same. but in terms of attracting new fans the game will do that on it own.

Postby Monique

The only thing is non fans might give a try at shorter events, out of curiosity, they won't commit to long formats as starters. It might also be more suitable for very young children or families because there is no need for sitting for hours in silence. I was at the OneForSeven and it was very good on that aspect. PowerSnooker might be also.

Postby N_Castle07

Monique wrote:If you are not a golfing fan you wouldn't give a cent whatever, whoever says about that sport because you are not inerested in it anyway.

The point I’m making is I’m not a golfing fan and if I heard Woods say them comments I wouldn’t become a golfing fan. The whole point of this Power Snooker is to attract new fans but it is spoilt with Ronnie’s comments. I’m afraid non snooker fans often regard snooker is boring which is what Hearn is trying to prove its not but when Ronnie comes out with them idiotic comments it over shadows Hearn’s plans. I’ve read your comments regarding why Ronnie might of said that as part of a strategy from Hearn and I don’t believe it I’m afraid. It has no logic and would be suicidal for Hearn to have planned this. Frankly I think it is grasping at straws to try and defend Ronnie’s comments.

Postby N_Castle07

But you’ve said many times that the media choose to focus on the negative side of the story so I can’t see the logic :huh2: Yes there has been a big response on snooker forums but I can’t see how this could be positive for non snooker fans.

Postby Monique

Yes I said that because Ronnie didn't just say "Oh the WC is boring" he explained himself and made it clear that this is something about him and the place he is now in his carreer but he also said the WC has its place in the tour and events of different format should exist alongside each other. All those "mitigating" comments were simply ignored.

Postby SnookerFan

Monique wrote:Yes I said that because Ronnie didn't just say "Oh the WC is boring" he explained himself and made it clear that this is something about him and the place he is now in his carreer but he also said the WC has its place in the tour and events of different format should exist alongside each other. All those "mitigating" comments were simply ignored.

They'd be ignored by the people Barry Hearn was trying to make listen anyway. We've all mentioned that snooker needs more mass interest, at least to the point where people are coming to the arena when they aren't now. The casual fans/people with no opinion on snooker either way are the ones that Hearn is trying to reach. If these people saw what Ronnie said, are they going to sit down and analyse where he is in his career, and how Ronnie's personality fits into 17-day long tournament format. Or whether Ronnie meant what he said on this occasion. No, they are just going to see Ronnie, the man paraded as snooker's most popular and influential star as saying; "The World Championships are boring."

Look, nobody is claiming this is the end of the world. Nor are they claiming Hearn can't work round this to make snooker popular again. We all hope he can. As you suggest, Ronnie saying this sort of stuff is so predictable by those with any knowledge of snooker, that Hearn may well have hoped he'd say something controversial to create snooker in the news. In my opinion if he did, he must be a real div, deliberately bringing somebody he'd hope would tourist the sport off. In fact if he didn't know this was going to happen, he seems like he lacks foresight. I could've told you it was possible that Ronnie would say something stupid. Hearn has managed to make himself look a bit of a tool either way, to be honest.

Doesn't mean that Ronnie is blameless. It was just a complete PR disaster from Ronnie. Okay, he doesn't mean it. But that just makes it a more stupid remark. Hopefully Hearn will move on, learn not to use Ronnie again for promotion (though I have my doubts that he will) and can make snooker a more popular sport once more. Hopefully in a years time there'll be a lot of new fans that just see Ronnie's opinion as us existing fans see it. As a total dumb-arse thing to say, and a totally untrue thing to say.

I just hope against hope that World Snooker just use Ronnie for what he does best. Play. That's when he looks like a genius. Because when he opens his mouth he looks like a six-year old in a bad mood.

Postby Noel

N_Castle07 wrote:But you’ve said many times that the media choose to focus on the negative side of the story so I can’t see the logic :huh2: Yes there has been a big response on snooker forums but I can’t see how this could be positive for non snooker fans.

If someone doesn't "care" then... they just don't care.

As a marketing challenge, renewing interest in someone bored apathetic over the "same old-same old" is even more
difficult that capturing newbies, but the first step in achieving both is to get their ATTENTION!

Imagine this...

A delivery man standing over his donkey laying flat down on it's side in the middle of the road.
He is late. He has a load of Snooker to deliver. "Get up you lazy ass!" he screams. The donkey just blinks his eyes.
The man, who could be a member of the peerage, grabs his whip and starts wailing away, still screaming .
The man is red-faced and sweaty and near exhaustion. Still, the donkey doesn't budge.
At that moment up rides a man with a white hat. Leaps off his horse walks directly up to the thrasher,
"How dare you treat this dumb animal with such cruelty!" rips the whip from his hands, and snaps it half over his knee.
He then walks briskly to the side of the road, picks up a tree limb the size of a leg and heads right over to the donkey.
Without saying a word, he raises the club and brings it down between it's eyes as hard as he can. CRACK!
The donkey leaps to his feet, shaking his head, and sounding exactly like Eddie Murphy in "Shrek" says "Did somebody say something?". The man in the white hat climbs up into the driver's seat, and just before proceeding to get the Snooker to town says "First, you have to get their attention!".

And in the media, unfortunately, and any glance at a rack of newspapers will confirm, "Dog Bites Man!" is trumped by "Man Bites Dog!" 9 times out of ten. Hence, Ronnie's success at getting attention on his sport from people who aren't snooker fan forum posters like us at all. Getting people to respond with a "Great" or a "marmite" doesn't really matter, what does is them buying into the message even a little... like a foot in the door. Even Barry Hearn cannot sell what doesn't exist.
It's like there are two ways to prove God exists... 1. Perform a miracle. 2. Say God doesn't exist.
After Ronnie's comments, Snooker exists for many more people than before.
Next!

In other Shocking Snooker News...

Ferguson said: "I am delighted to take up the position of WPBSA Chairman. I have been passionate about snooker throughout my life, so it's fantastic to be involved at what is an incredibly exciting time for the sport. My fellow board members and I will be working extremely hard to fulfill our roles in snooker's brave new world."

These kind of statements are usually scripted and vetted by PR people and lawyers and board members before we
hear them. If these people actually read books, and in this case I hope they don't, and understand the expression "brave new world" connotes a very troubling, distopian and totalitarian future, then I'm far more worried about that than Ronnie's "The WC is boring"...

=o|

Noel

... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brave_New_World
Last edited by Noel on 26 Jul 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Eirebilly

Personally i find Ronnies comments a little poor. I feel that, as he is one of the biggest drawcards in snooker, he has a responsibility to promote any frms of the sport in a positive way. Yes, even if he doesnt truely believe it. I feel that he has gotton a lot from the sport and should give something back in the way of positive advertisement.

Was to be expected from him though.

Postby SnookerFan

eirebilly wrote:Personally i find Ronnies comments a little poor. I feel that, as he is one of the biggest drawcards in snooker, he has a responsibility to promote any frms of the sport in a positive way. Yes, even if he doesnt truely believe it. I feel that he has gotton a lot from the sport and should give something back in the way of positive advertisement.

Was to be expected from him though.

You kind of wonder what the point of him being there was, if he was just going to start chatting how boring he was. Maybe he thought by going; "Power Snooker is a lot more interesting then that shitty World Championship thingy" it'd help promote Power Snooker. <laugh>

Postby Noel

jafinkesaurus wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
jafinkesaurus wrote:aaw look at ya'll, ronnie said four words and ppl wrote four pages about it :seif: <laugh>

Chances are we won't be talking about this sentance in four posts time. <laugh>

:scared: dont sentance me, im not the one who said the worlds is boring :zzz:

prrfkdt.

=o)

Noel