Post a reply

Re: Ronnie O'Sullivan; The Crucible is boring / New tourname

Postby Noel

I just read this quote from Hearn...

Hearn wrote: "O'Sullivan is the only recognised snooker superstar and the intrigue in the top-class game surrounds a sub-plot that gradually unfolds. You simply can't tart it up."

What the hell is hell on about?

=o\

Noel
Last edited by Noel on 23 Jul 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Postby N_Castle07

thetubberlad wrote:Look, I'm not impressed by what O'Sullivan said, and I also think he's a desperately poor ambassador for the game, no matter how awe-inspiring his snooker can be. That said, I cannot believe people are getting so worked up about this. The World Championship is my favourite tournament, and that goes for 99% of snooker's fanbase. Are O'Sullivan's comments going to mean anything? No.

Why are people so shocked? Expect the unexpected from O'Sullivan. And to be honest, I think much worse things are happening right now to be knocking O'Sullivan over some stupid comment...

I see your point but the point i'm trying to make is Ronnie does speak balls as sickpotter pointed out but this was trying to attract new fans. New fans don't know Ronnie talks rubbish and therefore when the games biggest draw says the main event is boring it is very bad for the game.

Postby Tubberlad

I think worse crimes have been commited against the game of snooker than these comments from O'Sullivan, and not even by O'Sullivan. Yet people are willing to stick up for others, when Ronnie makes some thick meaningless comment it's World War Three...

Postby Wildey

snookerfan this is not a WSA or Barry Hearn idea he doesent Promote it but he wanted to be there to show support for indipendant promoters or company that Rodney Walker or previous regimes never showed so what it costs has nothing to do with Hearn and World Snooker.

Postby Roland

Nice try at a defence tubber but the Ronnie comments make my blood boil if truth be told. What an idiot. He's probably equally turned a lot of current snooker fans off Power Snooker at the same time. Double whammy.

Postby N_Castle07

thetubberlad wrote:I think worse crimes have been commited against the game of snooker than these comments from O'Sullivan, and not even by O'Sullivan. Yet people are willing to stick up for others, when Ronnie makes some thick meaningless comment it's World War Three...

None the less he is the games biggest draw and just look at the many newspapers this morning. I blame Hearn for this as much as Ronnie.

Postby Tubberlad

Sonny wrote:Nice try at a defence tubber but the Ronnie comments make my blood boil if truth be told. What an idiot. He's probably equally turned a lot of current snooker fans off Power Snooker at the same time. Double whammy.

I'm not defending him. I think he's an idiot, always have. The World Championship is my favourite tournament, so these comments are unimpressive. I just think people are totally overeacting with this one. If Hearn can learn one lesson though, it's that O'Sullivan sould NEVER be used in a press conference to promote the game. NEVER. He is a total liability.

Postby Sickpotter

"This could go down a dangerous route. Last time Monique defended Ronnie, a lot of people pounced on her and had a go. She has the right to be a fan of his, just as I have the right to think that he is an absolute tool."

I'm not saying Monique shouldn't or doesn't have the right to defend Ronnie, we all try to do that for our favs. I'm definitely not "pouncing" on her for her view that Ronnie's comments aren't a big deal.

All I'm trying to get at is that Monique is first and foremost a snooker fan and that I was surprised that she didn't feel there were any ramifications to the game when Ronnie tourists off the premier event.

Given that other press have now latched on to what was said and it's not the new format/event that's attracting the attention, as a snooker fan Monique do you still believe these kinds of comments don't damage the image of snooker?

It's an opinion answer and there's no right or wrong, I'm just curious and I value Monique's input/insight. She gets to see/hear firsthand the opinion on the street in the UK which I'm not privy too.

It's entirely possible that I read too much into his comments but I'm living in Canada and we've had and continue to have problems with interest in the sport. Because of this I get very :wild2: when someone who could do so much to help the game winds up slagging it.

Postby Tubberlad

I can see where you're coming from Sickpotter, obviously this does no good whatsoever from a promotion stand point, particularly in a country like Canada where snooker is obviously struggling. I just feel people are overeacting, but I won't go on about that. Hearn must learn from this though: O'Sullivan can promote the game, he's the best player in the world, but not by talking. He's rubbish in that respect. Show O'Sullivan on the table, that's promotion.

Postby Wildey

thetubberlad wrote:I can see where you're coming from Sickpotter, obviously this does no good whatsoever from a promotion stand point, particularly in a country like Canada where snooker is obviously struggling. I just feel people are overeacting, but I won't go on about that. Hearn must learn from this though: O'Sullivan can promote the game, he's the best player in the world, but not by talking. He's rubbish in that respect. Show O'Sullivan on the table, that's promotion.

Next time theres a promotion Stick a sock in his mouth and put masking tape round his head <laugh>

but tubber it was a promotion as i said so how can it be a overraction to the promotion if all Newspapers that gets to the masses has to say ITS OFFICIAL SNOOKER IS BORING Ronnie O'Sullivan told us <doh>

that totally defeats the object of what they was doing there yesterday a whole day wasted money down the drain promoting a Tournament nobody gets to read about thanks to Ronnie.

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

:chin:

I used to know Ronnie. Ronnie does what Ronnie wants to do & answers to no one.

Barry Hearn isn't stupid, far from it. He'll get what mileage he can out of Ronnie & will do what he thinks & feels is right. Given what has happened in the game the past couple of months, with regard to the introduction of new tournaments & so on, he's not going to let a player get in his way & stop him from succeeding. Any player.

I also know people who know Barry Hearn very well (I've only met him, I said about 2 words to him & listened to him the rest of the time) & I've been told that, - that man will do what he needs to do to succeed.

There is no point in having a go at Ronnie, his intelligence starts when he picks up a cue & ends when he puts te cue back down. We've known that for a long now haven't we?

Postby Tubberlad

JohnFromLondonTown wrote::chin:

I used to know Ronnie. Ronnie does what Ronnie wants to do & answers to no one.

Barry Hearn isn't stupid, far from it. He'll get what mileage he can out of Ronnie & will do what he thinks & feels is right. Given what has happened in the game the past couple of months, with regard to the introduction of new tournaments & so on, he's not going to let a player get in his way & stop him from succeeding. Any player.

I also know people who know Barry Hearn very well (I've only met him, I said about 2 words to him & listened to him the rest of the time) & I've been told that, - that man will do what he needs to do to succeed.

There is no point in having a go at Ronnie, his intelligence starts when he picks up a cue & ends when he puts te cue back down. We've known that for a long now haven't we?

<ok> exactly what I've been saying

Postby SnookerFan

I wonder what they make of this story over at break-off? <laugh> Can we have a sweepstake to see who they are all blaming? My money is on Higgins, but also for them to have some stats to suggest that a Hendry cockerel up would be inferior to Ronnies.

Postby Roland

thetubberlad wrote: I just feel people are overreacting.

No!

The press are lapping it up everywhere. The idea was to promote the Power Snooker and it's ended up being "Ronnie tourists off World Championships" and it's everywhere in the press. So no, it's definitely not over reacting this time. He needs to be held to account. He has brought the game into disrepute with his remarks.

Postby Noel

Yes Ronnie is a tool.
Shaun Murphy could have crapped a spitting image of Jesus and the media would say "Who?".
It doesn't matter what Ronnie says. It matters that he says anything.
Hearn is a salesman and a puppet master and he knows that no matter what O'Sullivan says, snooker gets ink and soundbites.
Thank you very much. Next.

[ Ronnie couldn't ruin snooker but Hearn can ]

=o|

Noel

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:
thetubberlad wrote: I just feel people are overreacting.

No!

The press are lapping it up everywhere. The idea was to promote the Power Snooker and it's ended up being "Ronnie tourists off World Championships" and it's everywhere in the press. So no, it's definitely not over reacting this time. He needs to be held to account. He has brought the game into disrepute with his remarks.

Can anyone imagine Roger Federer after that marathon 3 day 10 hour match saying that is boring long matches are boring...

no he used incredable fantastic etc.

Ronnie has cocked up no getting away from that

Postby Monique

Well I do feel also that people are overreacting big time. Disripute? How? By saying that he finds a 17 days tournament draining and boring? If anything he has made himself look stupid in the eyes of many but how does this affect the game? It's only the opinion of one person after all...
What really brings the game in disripute are the suspicions of dishonesty and foul play, of cheating and match fixing. THAT does bring the game in disripute ... not a statement - even a provocative statement - from a man who is known since more than 17 years to be a bit of a nutter ;)
Noel is right. Hearn is a salesman and he wants snooker to be talked about and he's using Ronnie for that purpose. And God! Does it work!

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

Monique wrote:Well I do feel also that people are overreacting big time. Disripute? How? By saying that he finds a 17 days tournament draining and boring? If anything he has made himself look stupid in the eyes of many but how does this affect the game? It's only the opinion of one person after all...
What really brings the game in disripute are the suspicions of dishonesty and foul play, of cheating and match fixing. THAT does bring the game in disripute ... not a statement - even a provocative statement - from a man who is known since more than 17 years to be a bit of a nutter ;)
Noel is right. Hearn is a salesman and he wants snooker to be talked about and he's using Ronnie for that purpose. And God! Does it work!

Sorry Mon, but nope. That 17 day tournament you mention above just happens to be our World Championship. Going on the record in front of the media & saying he finds it boring? How selfish is this guy?

Given that he is the games biggest draw, what he says does carry more weight than other players, so to say its only the opinion of one person is.....?

Your right about the dishonesty, but should players who've been found guilty of drug taking be treated any different than convicted match fixers?

The line has to be drawn somewhere Mon, whatever way you look at it.

Now, I'm off out for my Friday few. I'll reply back later, hopefuly stoned, & with a tune. ;)

Postby Noel

Oh I forgot something...

Snooker. Our sport has not aged well at all. Most of us have been faithfully married to snooker for... ever it seems.
But we are the few and fewer. The typical response to our sport is like to a wonderful long-lost school girlfriend you
hadn't heard from or about for years and years, and in fact, had forgotten until someone pipes up "Hey, what ever happened to "Snooker", have you seen her lately?". Some might answer that she retired from active service, was moved out of the way and into an Old Folks Home.
Not Barry.
Being a very skillful businessman who has been pimping snooker for decades, it's not desperation time at all.
It's time for a "make-over". Liposuction to get rid of the unsightly excess baggage, tummy tucks to keep her from eating too much, a blond wig and collagen lip augmentation and a enough new boobage to make you forget she's actually 135 years young. That will generate renewed interest and new interest and people will pay to get some of THAT!

That's what I'm talkin' about right there!
http://snookerbacker.com/2010/07/21/i-f ... r-snooker/

=o|

Noel

Postby Sickpotter

"Hearn is a salesman and he wants snooker to be talked about and he's using Ronnie for that purpose. And God! Does it work!"

Oh it's working alright, just not in the way Hearn was hoping for.

Hearn wants the game talked about in positive turns, he certainly wasn't expecting Ronnie to open his mouth and tourist the premier event of the sport.

Now no one is talking about the new format/event, all the interest and writings are about how the biggest draw in the professional game thinks the premier event is boring. Hell of an endorsement, sponsors must be breaking down doors to cough up their dough :sad:

Postby Wildey

Monique

you are wrong on this surely you see that.

im not one to talk i swing from the hip i say whats on my mind and dont hold back and thats part of his persanality i like however Ronnie is Looked up to thats why he is popular so his words mean a lot whether he means what he sais or not does not matter one jot he has said it. Barry Hearn took him along because of his popularity and appeal and its back fired spectacularly.Why didn't he take along Shaun Murphy who sais all the Right Things well thats clear to see he isn't Ronnie is he mon.

you got to utilize your greatest asset to benefit a product but at the same time if that greatest asset cockerels up its just as damaging as it would be beneficial.....

Postby Casey

I think on this occasion some are being a bit harsh on Ronnie. TBH is annoys me more when he digs at other players.
he loves the World championship really, anybody in the game as long as him couldn't feel anything else but love for it.

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:I think on this occasion some are being a bit harsh on Ronnie. TBH is annoys me more when he digs at other players.
he loves the World championship really, anybody in the game as long as him couldn't feel anything else but love for it.

Case what you on about i couldnt care less if he calls Hendry a spotty nosed scottish git thats Damaging Hendry and Ronnies relationship nobody else...

Calling a Snooker event Boring is 10 times worst than anything he can do to another player.

Postby Casey

I meant a players playing style which can have serious consequences for that individual. I just think Ronnie has said worse things, no doubt this was in very bad taste.....but maybe blew up by a slow news day.

Postby Noel

[quote="wildJONESEYE] Calling a Snooker event Boring is 10 times worst...[/quote]

People are not going to go to the "boring" WC or watch it on TV now or play frames with their friends?
Nonsense.

but... Hey, everybody... look what's on the radar today!

SNOOKER!

=o)

Noel

Postby Wildey

Nobody had herd much of derek bell until he massacred people with a gun or raoul moat ...

was that a good thing ?

just because its talked about doesn't make it positive.