Post a reply

Is Stephen Maguire an underachiever?

yes
73%
no
27%

Total votes : 11

Re: Do you think Stephen Maguire has underachieved?

Postby Prop

No. He got what he deserved. Talent alone doesn’t give you the right to titles.

And if Mags has underachieved, it must mean other players have overachieved. Who are they?

Postby TheRocket

Prop wrote:No. He got what he deserved. Talent alone doesn’t give you the right to titles.

And if Mags has underachieved, it must mean other players have overachieved. Who are they?

You could maybe argue Dott or Johnson have overachieved but yeah its a tough one.

Postby Iranu

Juddernaut88 wrote:Yep he has underachieved. Defintely should have won more titles.

Based on what? His breakbuilding and long potting is good but his safety game is average and his temperament is poor.

Sometimes it seems like players are expected to win 15+ events as soon as they’ve won a few.

Is Maguire really much better than Allen, or Lee? I’m not so sure.

Postby TheRocket

Iranu wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:Yep he has underachieved. Defintely should have won more titles.

Based on what? His breakbuilding and long potting is good but his safety game is average and his temperament is poor.

Sometimes it seems like players are expected to win 15+ events as soon as they’ve won a few.

Is Maguire really much better than Allen, or Lee? I’m not so sure.

definitely better than Lee imo. Allen is a close one but some would say Allen has also underachieved.

Postby Prop

TheRocket wrote:
Prop wrote:No. He got what he deserved. Talent alone doesn’t give you the right to titles.

You could maybe argue Dott or Johnson have overachieved but yeah its a tough one.

That’s true.

I suppose the distinction is to ask whether a player could have won more, or whether they should have won more.

Postby Andre147

I believe he has.

His main career failure was not winning the world title in 2007, he himself has said this.

Had he won that, I'm fairly sure his career would be crowned with a lot more titles. It wasn't to be though.

Postby orky

There is a case for this question to be asked about nearly every top player but yep, Maguire IMO is an underachiever. 2007 was important because he would have had too much for an up and coming Selby in the final and with that win he defo would have won a few more majors, if not necessarily at the Crucible. He could have been in the Parrott Ebdon Doherty bracket. Also if he'd have won in 2007, his temperament would have been better, no doubt in my mind.

Postby SnookerFan

TheRocket wrote:

To be fair, you can't really blame Mags for not winning The Crucible in 1986. He would only have been five years old.

Postby Iranu

orky wrote:There is a case for this question to be asked about nearly every top player but yep, Maguire IMO is an underachiever. 2007 was important because he would have had too much for an up and coming Selby in the final and with that win he defo would have won a few more majors, if not necessarily at the Crucible. He could have been in the Parrott Ebdon Doherty bracket. Also if he'd have won in 2007, his temperament would have been better, no doubt in my mind.

To be honest I could see Maguire doing even less between 2007 and now if he’d won the Worlds in 2007. He’s not exactly the most committed as it is, if he’d already achieved the pinnacle I could easily see him not winning anything for the next 14 years!

Postby TheRocket

When Mags and Murphy came through and they kinda did at the same time Mags looked like the more talented player to me. Amazing how things have turned out with Murphy clearly being the more successful player.

Postby SnookerEd25

TheRocket wrote:When Mags and Murphy came through and they kinda did at the same time Mags looked like the more talented player to me. Amazing how things have turned out with Murphy clearly being the more successful player.

Well, Maguire hardly dedicated himself to his craft - by his own admission. Murphy clearly does his talking on the table; I mean - you never hear a peep out of him between matches do you? :chin:

Postby Cazoo

Absolutely. He was one of the most promising young players, and had a lot of talent. He’s only won 6 ranking tournaments and only one of those has come in the past 10 years. It’s no surprise to see him sliding down the rankings.

Postby shanew48

Cazoo wrote:Absolutely. He was one of the most promising young players, and had a lot of talent. He’s only won 6 ranking tournaments and only one of those has come in the past 10 years. It’s no surprise to see him sliding down the rankings.

I genuinely think that too much heavy drinking is the main reason for him underachieving.

Postby Dan-cat

shanew48 wrote:
Cazoo wrote:Absolutely. He was one of the most promising young players, and had a lot of talent. He’s only won 6 ranking tournaments and only one of those has come in the past 10 years. It’s no surprise to see him sliding down the rankings.

I genuinely think that too much heavy drinking is the main reason for him underachieving.

Truth

Postby SnookerEd25

Iranu wrote:
orky wrote:There is a case for this question to be asked about nearly every top player but yep, Maguire IMO is an underachiever. 2007 was important because he would have had too much for an up and coming Selby in the final and with that win he defo would have won a few more majors, if not necessarily at the Crucible. He could have been in the Parrott Ebdon Doherty bracket. Also if he'd have won in 2007, his temperament would have been better, no doubt in my mind.

To be honest I could see Maguire doing even less between 2007 and now if he’d won the Worlds in 2007. He’s not exactly the most committed as it is, if he’d already achieved the pinnacle I could easily see him not winning anything for the next 14 years!

I agree with Iranu. In fact, I never really got all the hype surrounding him. OK, the talent was always there but it’s about more than that. Attitude is the key, and he always seemed to be questionable in that department.

Probably should have won two or three more Rankers, on the talent alone, but I’m not surprised he failed to land the big one.

Postby lhpirnie

shanew48 wrote:

Yes, and more recently chronic back problems. Unlike some other players, he doesn't complain about health issues, but it has definitely affected his game.