Poll ended at 08 Aug 2021

Hendry’s comeback and century
43%
McGill beats Ronnie at the World Championship
57%

Total votes : 14

SI’s Favourite Moment of 20/21: QFs Match 4

Postby Iranu

Welcome to match 4 in the quarter final stage of the Snooker Island’s Favourite Moment of the 2020-2021 Season tournament!

This match features:

Stephen Hendry’s comeback and century

vs

Anthony McGill beats Ronnie O’Sullivan in the World Championship despite a thrilling Ronnie fightback

Analysis
Two very different entrants in our fourth quarter final. A comeback that nobody thought would happen (with a century that nobody expected) takes on a remarkable Crucible match in which the less-fancied player held his nerve to prevent a comeback that at one stage looked inevitable as the six-time world champion was halted by a poor positional shot after a slew of ridiculous pots. The return of a legend vs the vanquishing of another.

Happy voting!

Re: SI’s Favourite Moment of 20/21: QFs Match 4

Postby Prop

I’m not really sure why Ants beating Ronnie has even got this far. It’s not even a moment or a story. Just a result.

On the other hand, the dead and buried Stephen Hendry finally making that long-threatened comeback, with that century on top, well it’s the clear winner. No more explanation required.

Postby Iranu

Prop wrote:I’m not really sure why Ants beating Ronnie has even got this far. It’s not even a moment or a story. Just a result.

It was a great match to be fair, in a tournament that didn’t really set the world alight. Add the “Ronnie factor” and it’s not a huge surprise.

It beat Jack vs Judd WGP final in the Last 16. I expected Judd vs Jack to win and that was the higher seed, but these tournaments would be boring if the favourite won every time.

Plus the random first round draw seems to have opened some of the field up. We’ve got the first and third seeds duking it out in the quarter finals!

For the purposes of the tournament I made it clear that a “moment” entailed anything that happened during the season that pertained to snooker in some way because it was the best all-encompassing word I could think of. There have been several entries that haven’t been “moments” in the way you describe. I should maybe think of a better word to use if I do this again next year.

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:
Prop wrote:I’m not really sure why Ants beating Ronnie has even got this far. It’s not even a moment or a story. Just a result.

It was a great match to be fair, in a tournament that didn’t really set the world alight. Add the “Ronnie factor” and it’s not a huge surprise.

It beat Jack vs Judd WGP final in the Last 16. I expected Judd vs Jack to win and that was the higher seed, but these tournaments would be boring if the favourite won every time.

Plus the random first round draw seems to have opened some of the field up. We’ve got the first and third seeds duking it out in the quarter finals!

For the purposes of the tournament I made it clear that a “moment” entailed anything that happened during the season that pertained to snooker in some way because it was the best all-encompassing word I could think of. There have been several entries that haven’t been “moments” in the way you describe. I should maybe think of a better word to use if I do this again next year.

Yeah don’t get me wrong, I’m not knocking its inclusion exactly, more the fact it got so far. Just makes you wonder whether the people voting for it enjoyed it for what it was or whether it was an opportunity for them to score an anti-Ronnie point. Especially when you consider the alternative choice.

Postby Iranu

Prop wrote:Yeah don’t get me wrong, I’m not knocking its inclusion exactly, more the fact it got so far. Just makes you wonder whether the people voting for it enjoyed it for what it was or whether it was an opportunity for them to score an anti-Ronnie point. Especially when you consider the alternative choice.

Well I don’t think the two are mutually exclusive. I’m sure a lot of people enjoyed it for what it was, with part of what it was being a relatively surprising Ronnie loss for some of the voters. I’m sure the same goes for Brown’s Welsh victory albeit to a lesser extent.

Conversely, if Jack had won the WGP final I think their last 16 match would have been an absolute blowout in Jack’s favour - I’d wager the WGP final would have been a top 3 seed, if not top 2, considering how popular Jack is on here - added to the Judd Trump schadenfreude that accompanies any loss of his (I’m sure Robbo’s UK victory being 4th seed has a lot to do with the fact he beat Judd of all people). It’s fine margins.

Also, McGill beating Ronnie had a favourable last 32 draw, facing off against a moment in Murphy’s fleshlight that many SI members probably had no awareness of since it was from a Twitter account that’s still in early stages and not something that has had longstanding discussion on the forum.

I know I’ve set this up so this will sound self-important but I think it’s fascinating to see how the draw has panned out. Some that I thought were shoo-ins have fallen away early doors whereas some that I considered underdogs in spite of seedings have persisted.

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:
Prop wrote:Yeah don’t get me wrong, I’m not knocking its inclusion exactly, more the fact it got so far. Just makes you wonder whether the people voting for it enjoyed it for what it was or whether it was an opportunity for them to score an anti-Ronnie point. Especially when you consider the alternative choice.

Well I don’t think the two are mutually exclusive. I’m sure a lot of people enjoyed it for what it was, with part of what it was being a relatively surprising Ronnie loss for some of the voters. I’m sure the same goes for Brown’s Welsh victory albeit to a lesser extent.

Conversely, if Jack had won the WGP final I think their last 16 match would have been an absolute blowout in Jack’s favour - I’d wager the WGP final would have been a top 3 seed, if not top 2, considering how popular Jack is on here - added to the Judd Trump schadenfreude that accompanies any loss of his (I’m sure Robbo’s UK victory being 4th seed has a lot to do with the fact he beat Judd of all people). It’s fine margins.

Also, McGill beating Ronnie had a favourable last 32 draw, facing off against a moment in Murphy’s fleshlight that many SI members probably had no awareness of since it was from a Twitter account that’s still in early stages and not something that has had longstanding discussion on the forum.

I know I’ve set this up so this will sound self-important but I think it’s fascinating to see how the draw has panned out. Some that I thought were shoo-ins have fallen away early doors whereas some that I considered underdogs in spite of seedings have persisted.

All fair points. On reflection, you’re right. I’m in quite a cynical mood lately. And I realise I’ve probably contradicted myself.

Postby SnookerFan

Hendry's comeback was a curiosity, but it was never going to result in him playing to a high standard. He had taken too long out of the game, and didn't play enough to shake off his rust. If he'd have played more, he might've done something. But to bunk off all season, and then turn up for a couple matches, it just ended the way it was always going to. With him playing rubbish snooker. The century was the exception.

McGill wins by default.