Post a reply

Re: The Hendry Comeback

Postby shanew48

I mean, Hendry will have to study a DVD of the match to ascertain where it all went wrong and what he needs to do to improve.

Postby chengdufan

shanew48 wrote:I mean, Hendry will have to study a DVD of the match to ascertain where it all went wrong and what he needs to do to improve.

A DVD!
Wow, proper old school. Do people still have DVD players?

Postby SnookerFan

chengdufan wrote:
shanew48 wrote:I mean, Hendry will have to study a DVD of the match to ascertain where it all went wrong and what he needs to do to improve.

A DVD!

I do.

And I still buy DVDs.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:
chengdufan wrote:

A DVD!

I do.

And I still buy DVDs.

Me too, on both fronts.

I also still have a VCR, and a number of tapes. Currently a bit redundant as I don’t have a TV with a SCART input to connect it up, but I love VHS tapes - a design classic <ok>

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:You can't expect him to be as great as he was in the 1990s. Even if it was possible at his age, he hadn't played for nine years. He would struggle in on first coming back.

Hendry's mistake was not being active enough To have any chance of having a good run at The Crucible he needed to have played more, just for the practice. He'd had one match against Selt pre-Crucible. Why not play more?

Crowds simple as that Stephen Thought by the UK Crowds would be back he described Even playing at the Crucible in seniors playing in a empty room and very flat.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:You can't expect him to be as great as he was in the 1990s. Even if it was possible at his age, he hadn't played for nine years. He would struggle in on first coming back.

Hendry's mistake was not being active enough To have any chance of having a good run at The Crucible he needed to have played more, just for the practice. He'd had one match against Selt pre-Crucible. Why not play more?

Crowds simple as that Stephen Thought by the UK Crowds would be back he described Even playing at the Crucible in seniors playing in a empty room and very flat.

It didn't take a lot of foresight to realise that crowds might not be allowed in for most of the season though. Everybody knew it was a possibility.

Also, and I mean this as a compliment, it surprises me that a lack of crowd bothered Hendry that much. He was ao driven and focused on victory, I wouldn't have thought that a lack of crowd mattered.

I can see if affecting somebody like Alex Higgins, or more modernly Ronnie or Judd. They like to please the crowds. Hendry always wanted to win, irrespective of whether he was popular.

Even if he wanted to feed off the crowds hatred of him, it wouldn't happen. Since coming back he wasn't seen as an unpopular constant winner. He was seen as a returning legend. How many people were really supporting Selt over him?

Postby LDS

chengdufan wrote:
LDS wrote:Zoo See, I would presume.

:lol:

Neither of these pronunciations exist in Chinese.
Zoo is actually one of the most difficult words for English language learners here to pronounce. It's very rare to meet a Chinese person who can say 'zoo' intelligibly. Even relatively high level speakers.
'see' is an easier word for Chinese speakers as both the 's' and 'ee' sounds exist in Chinese. Never in combination though.

I have no idea why you find this funny. You seem to be aware that different countries have different sounds that are more complicated. Whenever words are used by foreign country citizens they always sound a bit different to how they do locally - ie: regional accents.

That's how even just in Europe very common names become slightly different names as you travel relatively small distances - Carlos and Charles are actually the same name, for example.

I should think most people call Graeme Dott Graham, and it's no big deal, it's expected. In English, if a word starts with an X then it is pronounced with a Z sound, as in Xylophone. If you find it funny that people use the correct pronunciation because the intent was for a different sound then the problem lies at the moment when the conversion to English lettering occurred, not with the resultant pronunciations.

Postby HappyCamper

chengdufan wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:Si is like 'sea' .

:shock:
Wouldn't have expected you to make such a basic error HC

I'll never live this down.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:...and people laugh when you pronounce their names badly in European countries.

LDS: SCANDALIZED!

Whilst we're on the subject, wouldn't it be spelled "scandalised" in the UK?

Postby chengdufan

LDS wrote:
chengdufan wrote:

Zoo is actually one of the most difficult words for English language learners here to pronounce. It's very rare to meet a Chinese person who can say 'zoo' intelligibly. Even relatively high level speakers.
'see' is an easier word for Chinese speakers as both the 's' and 'ee' sounds exist in Chinese. Never in combination though.

I have no idea why you find this funny. You seem to be aware that different countries have different sounds that are more complicated. Whenever words are used by foreign country citizens they always sound a bit different to how they do locally - ie: regional accents.

That's how even just in Europe very common names become slightly different names as you travel relatively small distances - Carlos and Charles are actually the same name, for example.

I should think most people call Graeme Dott Graham, and it's no big deal, it's expected. In English, if a word starts with an X then it is pronounced with a Z sound, as in Xylophone. If you find it funny that people use the correct pronunciation because the intent was for a different sound then the problem lies at the moment when the conversion to English lettering occurred, not with the resultant pronunciations.

What I found funny was that someone asked for some info and you replied despite having no knowledge of the subject. Your guess was so far from being accurate, it caused me to chuckle!

Postby chengdufan

I also chuckled as it reminded me of many years ago, back in my days as a teacher, trying to teach the pronunciation of the English word zoo to Chinese students.
They absolutely brutalised the word beyond recognition!

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:...and people laugh when you pronounce their names badly in European countries.

Yes, but we are not in the UK, we are on the internet, where Americanized spellings rule.

Are you SCANDALIZED at my US spelling?

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Yes, but we are not in the UK, we are on the internet, where Americanized spellings rule.

It just makes me feel a bit off-color.

Postby Iranu

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Ew yes

Postby Iranu

Wildey wrote:

I think crowds was a bit of an excuse to be honest. Not that he was totally lying but I think Hendry realised he wasn’t ready for matches and the lack of crowds gave him an easy out.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:
Wildey wrote:

I think crowds was a bit of an excuse to be honest. Not that he was totally lying but I think Hendry realised he wasn’t ready for matches and the lack of crowds gave him an easy out.

Didn't he announce his comeback just after The Seniors in 2020? I mean, by that point several ranking events had been postponed due to the coronavirus, and when they were rescheduled the majority of them had 0 fans. (And the attempt to have them in at The Crucible was a bit of a cock-up, let's be honest.)

Surely he knew when he announced his comeback there was at least a chance he'd have to perform in an empty room.

Like you, I'm not saying he was lying or making excuses. But you can't tell me he didn't know that there was a risk of having no fans all season. How surprising was it for him?

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Didn't he announce his comeback just after The Seniors in 2020? I mean, by that point several ranking events had been postponed due to the coronavirus, and when they were rescheduled the majority of them had 0 fans. (And the attempt to have them in at The Crucible was a bit of a cock-up, let's be honest.)

Surely he knew when he announced his comeback there was at least a chance he'd have to perform in an empty room.

Like you, I'm not saying he was lying or making excuses. But you can't tell me he didn't know that there was a risk of having no fans all season. How surprising was it for him?

In fairness to him lockdown was eased around August so I can understand him thinking the UK would have crowds.

But I’m sure he secretly was quite glad (for his own personal reasons only of course) when there weren’t because it gave him a go-to excuse.

Postby LDS

chengdufan wrote:
LDS wrote:
chengdufan wrote:

What I found funny was that someone asked for some info and you replied despite having no knowledge of the subject. Your guess was so far from being accurate, it caused me to chuckle!

I'm sorry, but this is really insulting.

You seem to be missing the point that regardless of how his name is pronounced, the English pronunciation of the written words Xu Si is Zoo See.

So the correct English dialect pronunciation of his name is Zoo See.

The fact that how his name is pronounced in his own dialect is different to how the English would pronounce the written version of his name is irrelevant.

If he wanted the absolute precise pronunciation of his name, or something vaguely close, then he shouldn't have chosen the words he did - or whoever chose them, the written letters should have been something closer to what English people can understand as more alliterative.

One assumes that at some point Chinese names get anglicised. There's little point anglicising the letters and then objecting when the pronunciation is not anglicised as well.

Either the name is being anglicised or it's not. It's rather absurd to just provide random letters that appear to be anglicised and then moan when the actual pronunciation is so far off-base that it quite clearly isn't an anglicised in the first place.

Either spell the name as it's closest pronunciation during conversion or accept that the spelling provided will be pronounced in accordance with the English dialect.

If I'm talking to an oriental person and they say Mycow, I don't immediately interrupt them and say "No, you ignorant fool, you should say Michael", because I understand the person is just speaking in a dialect. And if Mycow lived in China mostly surrounded by Chinese people, I feel sure he wouldn't mind at all being called Mycow by everyone.