Post a reply

CONFIRMED: TRANSMITTED SIDE IS A THING

Postby Dan-cat

I can confirm transmitted side is definitely a thing. I've been potting some crazy cut-back long doubles on the pool table. They kept straightening up and I thought were impossible, and then last week I thought 'let me just try some side' and they've been flying in!

Because of the black ball rule tweak in Spanish rules (you can only pot it in the opposite bag to your last ball) you get to play a lot of long doubles, and I'd all but given up on making any long cut back doubles, they always straightened up off the cushion. Not any more. Secret weapon!

Pace makes a huge difference. Some straight (not cut back) doubles have to played at force to straighten them, but the cut back doubles I'm making with transmitted side are played quite gently. Floaty.

I tried to explain to one of other players how I was suddenly making these shots but he said 'that's a bit technical for me.'

I was always dubious about whether side can be transmitted, but now I know for sure that it is effective.

Re: CONFIRMED: TRANSMITTED SIDE IS A THING

Postby Prop

The same happens between two balls when a player applies side to straighten a pot up. Eg when you can’t quite see the potting angle of a straight red, and you can only see fractionally left of centre. So you play the white with a nice dollop of right hand side, this imparts the opposite rotation onto the red (Newton’s third law) and the red’s trajectory is altered.

Difference with ball to cushion is unequal mass, inertia and friction coefficient. So on impact the cushion being struck by a ball does not react like a ball being struck by a ball and therefore the reaction of the white differs.

Postby acesinc

Us idiot Americans have known about throw transmitted by both English and direction for far longer than I have been involved in any of the cue games. Meanwhile, we (or at least, I) have humbly accepted the condescension of the rest of the world for our foolishness. Glad to see that some are finally awakening. Thanks, Dr. Dave Alciatore! (PhD, Mechanical Engineering) He can teach you far more than you could have ever cared to know about the subject.

Postby Dan-cat

Carnagepooltricks wrote:Hey Dan-Cat, There's a shot in the artistic pool program which uses spin transference. I will try and share the diagram on here

And here's a video of the shot being made, it should start at 4:09 (discipline 5 shot 1a)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjFsm75RH1Q&t=249s

Yes! Brilliant! Shane Van Boening played a shot like this in a bank pool match in the final of the US Open in 2019. I love watching that match, I learned so much in it, will post later.

I tried to fix your image it wouldn't work. Also your embedded YouTube link... I don't think you can do a timecode on it so I just took it out.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Dan-cat wrote:
Carnagepooltricks wrote:Hey Dan-Cat, There's a shot in the artistic pool program which uses spin transference. I will try and share the diagram on here

And here's a video of the shot being made, it should start at 4:09 (discipline 5 shot 1a)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjFsm75RH1Q&t=249s

Yes! Brilliant! Shane Van Boening played a shot like this in a bank pool match in the final of the US Open in 2019. I love watching that match, I learned so much in it, will post later.

I tried to fix your image it wouldn't work. Also your embedded YouTube link... I don't think you can do a timecode on it so I just took it out.

Brilliant match indeed. Full of creative shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qaaux33v6k

Postby Dan-cat

Prop wrote:The same happens between two balls when a player applies side to straighten a pot up. Eg when you can’t quite see the potting angle of a straight red, and you can only see fractionally left of centre. So you play the white with a nice dollop of right hand side, this imparts the opposite rotation onto the red (Newton’s third law) and the red’s trajectory is altered.

Difference with ball to cushion is unequal mass, inertia and friction coefficient. So on impact the cushion being struck by a ball does not react like a ball being struck by a ball and therefore the reaction of the white differs.

The side is imparting to the object ball in the same way in my case above... it's sending it towards the blind pocket. I will check it later. This is hurting my head a bit

Isn't the idea when you apply side to go around a ball in the way to simply bend it slightly, and then when it returns to the original line it can pot the ball?

Postby Prop

Dan-cat wrote:Isn't the idea when you apply side to go around a ball in the way to simply bend it slightly, and then when it returns to the original line it can pot the ball?

Not really, no. Straightening a pot up with side is a different thing to bending/swerving round an obstacle ball in order to meet a potting angle.

Usually in the first instance (straightening up a pot using side) the cue ball and object ball are pretty close, let’s say a red near the pink spot into the corner with the white a foot away. In this case the shot is to use side transfer. A player will cue the shot with no real extra elevation to the butt of the cue in comparison to a plain ball shot; the object here is not to bend the white (there’s not enough distance to gauge a swerve accurately) but to transfer side. Left on the white creates right on the object ball. The reason this imparted left hand side changes the angle of the object ball is that the inertia, mass and friction coefficient of two balls is equal. Where a cushion will not ‘react’ to impact with a ball with say right hand side on (much larger mass, inertia etc than another ball) an object ball will react somewhat equally to the cue ball, but in opposing direction (again, 3rd law). Imagine the widened angle of a ball hitting a cushion with right hand side. Now take the inverse of that widened trajectory and apply it to the object ball that’s struck by a cueball with right hand side on it. It squeezes to the left.

A swerve is different. In that case you’re actually manipulating the line of the white in order to create a potting angle that isn’t possible in a dead straight line. The caveat to this is that because a swerve is also an application of spin, to a lesser degree spin transfer will also occur. This degree is determined by how much spin has remained on the white between the stroke and the impact with the object ball. For this reason - distance - you’ll find close pots are better candidates for simple spin transfer, and longer pots are better candidates for a swerve.

Postby Prop

In terms of your pots, there must be something else going on that’s come into the equation. Deflection of the cueball playing side is definitely going to affect the angle of the object ball. If you happen to be deflecting the white a fair amount, but for whatever reason only a small amount of side is being imparted onto the object ball, this could have the opposite effect of the expected trajectory of the object ball.

Say you’re playing a double to middle bag, from the right side of the table (from the usual TV camera view we’re accustomed to). White is low down say 8 inches from the black cushion, object ball on the pink spot. In terms purely of deflection (I’ll omit side from this for a second), if you play that shot with extreme right your white will push to the left, and this will effectively widen the angle of the object ball, sending it further to the right. Same the other way round. Play that same shot with extreme left and your white will push to the right, which will effectively narrow the angle of the object ball, sending it to the left.

Is there a chance that this deflection is coming into play much more than any side transfer?