Post a reply

Re: 17 may snooker clubs open

Postby Juddernaut88

I've got a table booked for this Sunday. I'm playing against my best mate. I shall keep you updated on how I do.

Postby 1892

Took the day off work to play today.

I was absolutely marmite. Couple of nice pots but some extremely poor long pot efforts and missed a few sitters, to be expected after a 6 and a half month lay off. Booked a table for tomorrow night after work too.

Was great to be back.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Juddernaut88 wrote:Let me know how you get on badsnookerplayer.

Just got back from the snooker hall.

They had a great day yesterday and it was good to be back.

Tentative start - bad old habits had crept in but started to get to grips with it.

No breaks but won 5-3. Booking in with some mates for next sessions.

Snooker halls are great places.

Postby Juddernaut88

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:Well done on winning 5-3 :hatoff:

Good luck for Sunday JN

Thanks mate <ok>

Postby The_Abbott

Juddernaut88 wrote:
The_Abbott wrote:I've done a Dennis and retired the cue away for good.

But why?

My eyes aren't as good as they used to be and I am not doing a Hamilton and ruin them by having laser eye surgery. My long potting was my game and I can still pot good balls despite a blur but its too much of a struggle.

Plus I can't even get a break of 20 these days.

I'll still play exhibitions ;-) and Pool!

Postby Juddernaut88

The_Abbott wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:

But why?

My eyes aren't as good as they used to be and I am not doing a Hamilton and ruin them by having laser eye surgery. My long potting was my game and I can still pot good balls despite a blur but its too much of a struggle.

Ahhh that's a shame. You'd still beat me easily though to be fair.

Postby Sickpotter

The_Abbott wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:

But why?

I've had issues with my eyes for a few years now and have relied primarily on my stance fundamentals to ensure proper shot alignment. Works pretty well but it's hard to teach your body to ignore what your eyes are telling it. Can't always get it to work and long pots that used to be 85% + shots are down around 60% but can't quite quit the game yet.

Shortly before we got locked down I got some new glasses with progressive lenses but by the time they arrived everything was shutdown.

Been dying to try them out and see if they help but sadly we're still shut tight, no snooker tables until at least mid-June if not longer depending on how well we manage with the new India variant. :sad:

Having given up the game a few times over the years myself I'm sure you'll play again, the sport will never let you go. :john:

"Every time I think I'm out they pull me back in" - The Godfather :mosh:

Postby Prop

Had a couple of hours earlier. First game since July. Ended 3-3 and we both had a few 20s. High break 29, and had a few nice long ones so nothing amazing but it was just good to be back. It felt alien to me at first but eventually I found a bit of rhythm and if we’d had an hour or so more I might have put a reasonable break together.

I’ve missed it :-)

Postby Running side

Got a 3hour session booked Sunday, mate similar ability admitted to playing twice a week through lockdown, he's found a new friend with a full size table and is knocking 50+ breaks in. Should I pall him off or hope different tables throw him.

Postby Juddernaut88

Prop wrote:Had a couple of hours earlier. First game since July. Ended 3-3 and we both had a few 20s. High break 29, and had a few nice long ones so nothing amazing but it was just good to be back. It felt alien to me at first but eventually I found a bit of rhythm and if we’d had an hour or so more I might have put a reasonable break together.

Nice one :) how come you didn't play a decider?

Postby Prop

Juddernaut88 wrote:
Prop wrote:Had a couple of hours earlier. First game since July. Ended 3-3 and we both had a few 20s. High break 29, and had a few nice long ones so nothing amazing but it was just good to be back. It felt alien to me at first but eventually I found a bit of rhythm and if we’d had an hour or so more I might have put a reasonable break together.

Nice one :) how come you didn't play a decider?

We were only booked on until 4, and I went 3-2 down at about quarter to 4. So we set up with ten reds to squeeze one more frame in and I won that one. It’s not exactly competitive, we’d both rather play well and get some decent breaks rather than worry about who is winning.

I really enjoyed it. I did think it might have been one of those horrible sessions where you both play badly and get frustrated with it. But instead we both played badly and loved it! :D

Postby Prop

Patiently waiting to hear how Judders gets on at the club today.

Postby Juddernaut88

I played snooker today. I lost 5-2 :( I was rusty but played well in patches. Made an 18 break and 11 break but the 18 break did have a fluke in there. My safety was really poor though and that's usually my strength. It was 2-2 and lost a close 5th frame and that was the massive difference in the end. I was just pleased to get back playing though.

Postby chengdufan

Juddernaut88 wrote:I played snooker today. I lost 5-2 :( I was rusty but played well in patches. Made an 18 break and 11 break but the 18 break did have a fluke in there. My safety was really poor though and that's usually my strength. It was 2-2 and lost a close 5th frame and that was the massive difference in the end. I was just pleased to get back playing though.

Thanks for sharing! Must feel awesome to be playing again after such a long time

Postby Prop

Juddernaut88 wrote:I played snooker today. I lost 5-2 :( I was rusty but played well in patches. Made an 18 break and 11 break but the 18 break did have a fluke in there. My safety was really poor though and that's usually my strength. It was 2-2 and lost a close 5th frame and that was the massive difference in the end. I was just pleased to get back playing though.

Bigger and better breaks next time you play then <ok> I agree, I wasn’t too bothered about playing well, more that it was good to be back at it. So many clubs are struggling at the minute so I feel pretty lucky to be able to play.

Postby Juddernaut88

I doubt I'll get bigger breaks. I rarely get 20+ breaks to be honest. I just hope I can improve my safety and try and pot more. I gave away a lot of silly points today so that is something to work on too.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

2nd session today and much improved.

Hitting the ball softer and felt better.

Highest today was 48 but was starting to think of the maximum :sad:

In that situation, I should have just concentrated on winning the frame.

Postby Juddernaut88

Well done badsnookerplayer on an improved session and a 48 break :) You'll be back to making centuries in no time.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Juddernaut88 wrote:Well done badsnookerplayer on an improved session and a 48 break :) You'll be back to making centuries in no time.

It was an easy break to be fair - raiding the orchard :spot on:

It was nice to see people out playing again. Fairly busy too.

You playing regularly now?

Postby Juddernaut88

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:Well done badsnookerplayer on an improved session and a 48 break :) You'll be back to making centuries in no time.

It was an easy break to be fair - raiding the orchard :spot on:

It was nice to see people out playing again. Fairly busy too.

You playing regularly now?

You've got to show me how it's done! Today was the first time I played since October, I will hopefully try and play next weekend too, I'll aim to play at least once a week if I can.

Postby Prop

Badsnookerplayer wrote:2nd session today and much improved.

Hitting the ball softer and felt better.

Highest today was 48 but was starting to think of the maximum :sad:

In that situation, I should have just concentrated on winning the frame.

Tons galore next time you play then, BSP.

I got into that groove by the end of my session. No decent breaks, but initially I felt really unsteady on a shot and I could feel my cue going sideways. I was overhitting it a lot. And then later on it seemed to click - I was falling in to the shot nicely in line and everything was staying rock solid, plus I was getting through the white and getting it moving without lashing at it.

That was actually only my second game since Jan/Feb last year. We managed one game in July of last year when things started reopening, and I was pretty crap then.

So really I’m quite optimistic about the next time I play.