Post a reply

Re: snooker.org 'hits': a few observations

Postby Acé

HappyCamper wrote:
Acé wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:
Acé wrote:
Iranu wrote:It’s currently a different country regardless of how it’s considered.

Visits to snooker.org from Northern Ireland will come under the UK.

The Northern Ireland Open is part of the “Home Nations” series. Despite being on the island of Ireland it’s not really an ‘Irish’ tournament.

Ireland should have a tournament of its own.

so Alex Higgins and Mark Allen aren't Irish now?

Irish in the sense of being from the island of Ireland, yes

Irish in the sense of citizenship of the country of Ireland , no.

so why wouldn't a tournament being from the island of Ireland be Irish?

you guys should go to WST and tell them Alex Higgins and Mark Allen aren't Irish then see how everyone will laugh at you

and tell Eurosport the Northern ireland open isn't Irish LMAO it's the "island of Ireland open"

It would be Irish in being related to the country of Ireland. Which is what the OP was explicitly discussing. In that regard it is Northern Irish; hence the name northern Ireland open and being part of the home nations series.

I'm sure ES and WST are already aware of these basic facts.

yeah so what's the issue with it being in Northern Ireland then? it's still in Ireland

i ask the same question to Pink Ball which he sneakily did not answer to

am I not a British citizen because I'm black even though I was born in London? or do I have to be white to be "proper British"?
Last edited by Acé on 13 May 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Iranu

Acé wrote:
Iranu wrote:It’s currently a different country regardless of how it’s considered.

The Northern Ireland Open is part of the “Home Nations” series. Despite being on the island of Ireland it’s not really an ‘Irish’ tournament.

You may as well ask why the Welsh Open isn’t an English tournament despite being on the island of Great Britain.

There’s a huge difference between the island of Ireland and the country of Ireland. Do you know nothing of the history of Ireland, The Troubles etc.?

Postby Acé

Iranu wrote:
Acé wrote:

You may as well ask why the Welsh Open isn’t an English tournament despite being on the island of Great Britain.

There’s a huge difference between the island of Ireland and the country of Ireland. Do you know nothing of the history of Ireland, The Troubles etc.?

I don't but I don't see Mark Allen protesting it he's actually representing it

Postby Iranu

Acé wrote:am I not a British citizen because I'm black even though I was born in London? or do I have to be white to be "proper British"?

Race has absolutely nothing to do with the complex situation in the island of Ireland.

The Northern Ireland Open is not an Irish tournament. It’s a UK tournament held in Northern Ireland.

Having a tournament in southern Ireland would be a completely different prospect.

Postby Acé

Iranu wrote:
Acé wrote:am I not a British citizen because I'm black even though I was born in London? or do I have to be white to be "proper British"?

Race has absolutely nothing to do with the complex situation in the island of Ireland.

The Northern Ireland Open is not an Irish tournament. It’s a UK tournament held in Northern Ireland.

Having a tournament in southern Ireland would be a completely different prospect.

Never said it was but it's the same example you wanna claim Alex Higgins and Mark Allen or people not born in the "proper Ireland" are not Irish so that's exactly the same thing as saying anyone who ain't white born in the UK isn't British

Postby Iranu

Acé wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Never said it was but it's the same example you wanna claim Alex Higgins and Mark Allen or people not born in the "proper Ireland" are not Irish so that's exactly the same thing as saying anyone who ain't white born in the UK isn't British

It really isn’t. Not even close, actually.

Northern Ireland and Ireland are (simplistically) different countries, what’s so hard to understand?

Postby Acé

Iranu wrote:
Acé wrote:
Iranu wrote:

It really isn’t. Not even close, actually.

Northern Ireland and Ireland are (simplistically) different countries, what’s so hard to understand?

They're countries?

Postby HappyCamper

Acé wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:
Acé wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:
Acé wrote:

Irish in the sense of being from the island of Ireland, yes

Irish in the sense of citizenship of the country of Ireland , no.

so why wouldn't a tournament being from the island of Ireland be Irish?

you guys should go to WST and tell them Alex Higgins and Mark Allen aren't Irish then see how everyone will laugh at you

and tell Eurosport the Northern ireland open isn't Irish LMAO it's the "island of Ireland open"

It would be Irish in being related to the country of Ireland. Which is what the OP was explicitly discussing. In that regard it is Northern Irish; hence the name northern Ireland open and being part of the home nations series.

I'm sure ES and WST are already aware of these basic facts.

yeah so what's the issue with it being in Northern Ireland then? it's still in Ireland

i ask the same question to Pink Ball which he sneakily did not answer to

am I not a British citizen because I'm black even though I was born in London? or do I have to be white to be "proper British"?

It's not in ireland. It's in the UK. The issue is not there being an event in NI. The issue is lack of any event in Ireland, which is a different country.

I don't see the relevance. But being black does not preclude being British. Or Irish for that matter.

Allen is not Irish in that he is not a citizen of Ireland. He is northern Irish so is a citizen of the UK. If he wanted to apply for Irish citizenship he could as anyone born in NI has that right. But to the best of my knowledge he has not chosen to.

Postby Pink Ball

I'll try to explain this as slowly and crudely but fairly accurately as I can.

Many, many years ago, there was an island called Ireland. None of it was British at this point, and everyone was happy.

Britain invaded Ireland. Many British people moved to Ireland but found the Irish to be...unfriendly. They couldn't get the upperhand anywhere and keep the Irish down, bar one corner in the north east of the island.

Eventually, the British gave up trying to convince most of us. That area, about three quarters of the island, became the Republic of Ireland. People born there are Irish. It's not up for discussion.

But Britain kept ownership of the other quarter, which we know as Northern Ireland, despite the Republic of Ireland still seeing it as 'ours'. But it being Britain, rather than Ireland, kind of made sense as most people living there saw themselves as British rather than Irish. People born there were automatically 'British', even when they identified personally as Irish. This, amongst many more things, lead to problems. There was bit of fighting for a lot of years, and a lot of people died.

Eventually, we all came up with an idea that most people, even those in Northern Ireland, agreed with. The Republic of Ireland gave up its claim to Northern Ireland, which didn't have any standing anyway. It recognised that Northern Ireland was part of the United Kingdom.

HOWEVER

People in Northern Ireland could now hold Irish citizenship rather than British citizenship, or they could hold British citizenship and not Irish citizenship. Or both. Or neither. It sounds daft, but it actually worked really well. People generally stopped fighting.

I still see Northern Ireland as Irish and not British, but I respect that the current setup, by and large, does work, and that's a good thing.

But for the purpose of things such as data analytics, as you've seen above, any clicks from Northern Ireland are recognised as clicks from the United Kingdom, not Ireland. The territory in which Northern Ireland is is the UK, not the area recognised in the statistics as Ireland, which HAS NOT HELD A TOURNAMENT IN EIGHT YEARS.

Northern Ireland is not in the area recognised in these statistics as Ireland. That is a fact. The country I live in, Ireland, has not held a tournament for eight years, and that's that.
Last edited by Pink Ball on 13 May 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Iranu

Acé wrote:My bad, I didn't know Northern Ireland was an entire different COUNTRY

WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

How the buck did you not know this? They have different flags, NI competes with GBR at the Olympics, border issues with Brexit have been all over the news etc...

Postby Acé

Iranu wrote:
Acé wrote:My bad, I didn't know Northern Ireland was an entire different COUNTRY

How the buck did you not know this? They have different flags, NI competes with GBR at the Olympics, border issues with Brexit have been all over the news etc...

I didn't Ireland was split up into 2 different countries

Postby Pink Ball

Acé wrote:
Iranu wrote:

...sweet Jesus.

Postby Iranu

Acé wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Okay... what did you think Northern Ireland was? Why did you think the NI Open wasn’t called the Irish Open?

Postby Acé

How am I meant to know when I went there no one was using different terms to claim themselves

"I'm Northern Irish"
"I'm Republic of Irish"

girl I kind of hand a weekend with when I was there was Irish...she just classified herself as...Irish

Postby Acé

Iranu wrote:
Acé wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Okay... what did you think Northern Ireland was? Why did you think the NI Open wasn’t called the Irish Open?

an Island part of Ireland, literally that

Postby HappyCamper

Acé wrote:so basically "proper Ireland" and "Northern Ireland" is like India and Pakistan?

because they were one big country at one point too

I don't think there is much appetite for India-Pakistan reunification. Though the partition is another fine example of the havok of Britain's colonial fuckups.

Postby Pink Ball

Acé wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Acé wrote:
Iranu wrote:

You thought Ireland was... two islands?

Postby Iranu

Acé wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Acé wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Dude.

Postby Acé

Pink Ball wrote:You thought Ireland was... two islands?

just one big island called "Ireland", the "northern ireland" part I just assumed it was called that because the area is Northern

I didn't know they were 2 separate countries

Postby Iranu

HappyCamper wrote:
Iranu wrote:They have different football teams ffs

But only one rugby team. Makes you think.

Fair point, it was a bit of a rubbish example (look at England/Scotland/Wales compared to the Olympics) but it should at least give an inkling that there’s a distinction.

Postby Acé

HappyCamper wrote:
Acé wrote:so basically "proper Ireland" and "Northern Ireland" is like India and Pakistan?

because they were one big country at one point too

I don't think there is much appetite for India-Pakistan reunification. Though the partition is another fine example of the havok of Britain's colonial fuckups.

I don't know much of it but I know bits and pieces, I love history but my speciality is WW2 that's what I'm the most knowledgeable about

Postby Pink Ball

Acé wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:You thought Ireland was... two islands?

just one big island called "Ireland", the "northern ireland" part I just assumed it was called that because the area is Northern

I didn't know they were 2 separate countries

Have you ever seen a map? There's literally a border drawn around Northern Ireland. That's because it's a different country.