Post a reply

Re: I'm getting very concerned about Selby

Postby Iranu

I really kind of think that the 90s/early 00s was an anomaly in terms of age of winners, rather than now. The Worlds have skewed kind’ve old but Yan, Kyren, Allen, Ding and of course Judd have all won tournaments in recent years.

The 90s had an unprecedented wave of not just young talent but unreal young talent.

I think snooker lends itself to winning tournaments as you get older and now that the development of the game as stagnated (without the likes of a Davis or Hendry to completely change it) that’s becoming apparent.

Postby TheRocket

Juddernaut88 wrote:
Ronnie79 wrote:I hope he never wins another. He has won one too many

So you hope Judd doesn't win another? would you be happy with Selby winning another world title then instead of Judd Trump?

I know you didnt ask me but I would like to see Judd win more World titles than Selby. Or at least equal him. And destroy him when they play.

I never understand some Ronniefans . Judd is obviously one of Ronnies rivals over the last 5-6 years of course but surely, when you support Ronnie and his type of Snooker you'll always want to see a player like Judd have more success than Selby.

Postby Scooper

I see Selby get 2 or more easy. Do the math.. 4 in last 8 years, can stick around until Ronnie’s age - another 8 years. That’s a fair time for a player like him to get at least 2. And when he’s on form, most others just fold before him

Postby Andre147

Scooper wrote:I see Selby get 2 or more easy. Do the math.. 4 in last 8 years, can stick around until Ronnie’s age - another 8 years. That’s a fair time for a player like him to get at least 2. And when he’s on form, most others just fold before him

Doesn't work like that.

Between Selby's debut at The Masters in 2008 and 2014, a span of 7 years, Selby won 3 titles, plus another 2 Finals.

Since 2015. Selby has only won 3 matches at the event.

My point being just because Selby has won 4 world titles in 8 years, doesn't mean he'll continue with that streak.

Postby TheRocket

I wouldnt be surprised if Selby was to win 2 more but at the same time I think it will be very tough for him to play his type of Snooker when he reaches his mid 40's. Huge concentration level needed for his game. And I think the only way to play well at that age is to play a more fluent type of Snooker but we'll see.

Postby mick745

Selby is a confidence player, i know they all are to a certain degree but Selby seems to have these periods of extreme self doubt.

So the world title may give him a boost in that department but equally his next unexpected defeat or narrow loss after leading may set him back again.

However, he does seem to be able to win the world title while not getting near his best form, something probably no other current player can do.

Postby Dragonfly

TheRocket wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:

So you hope Judd doesn't win another? would you be happy with Selby winning another world title then instead of Judd Trump?

I know you didnt ask me but I would like to see Judd win more World titles than Selby. Or at least equal him. And destroy him when they play.

I never understand some Ronniefans . Judd is obviously one of Ronnies rivals over the last 5-6 years of course but surely, when you support Ronnie and his type of Snooker you'll always want to see a player like Judd have more success than Selby.

I think a lot of it has nothing to do with the style of play. Nobody can dispute that Trump has a far more attractive playing style than Selby. He is capable of incredible shots and has a lively, free flowing style.

It's more of a personality thing. Over the years Trump has let himself down. He has been arrogant, makes a lot of complaints about luck or the lack of it, and has always been slow to give compliments and congratulations to opponents.

The recent covid debacle is a case in point. He travelled in a pandemic, got infected, then declared the snooker board were ridiculous to stop him playing and decided the test was inaccurate. Funny how the test is accurate enough for the rest of the world.

Maybe he will become more humble and less of a narcissistic with age. Like I say he's obviously a wonderful snooker player but not the most likeable person.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Juddernaut88 wrote:

He was saying he hopes Selby doesn't win another, not Trump