Post a reply

It's all about Frame 23 between Ronnie and Selby !

Postby FoulNMiss

Everyone remember that (in)famous frame 23 between them in the 2014 final, which sealed Selby's victory, but the one from last year is kinda outshadowed by the last three shocking frames, for decent reasons, I guess you remember it ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR5Cw3vl6qE&t=25088s

That was in my opinion the very first turning point of the match. With a red ending so close to the pocket, if Ronnie didn't manage to stick that cue ball behind the brown that was match over, 90% and I am very kind. That outrageous safety under pressure at 31/35 kept him alive, and gave him the oxygen he was needing to trail by only two frames at the beginning of the last session.

We all know how great the last three frames were but because of that we don't talk enough about this first drama, which fully deserves a proper thread in my opinion.

Re: It's all about Frame 23 between Ronnie and Selby !

Postby Andre147

Red was close to the cushion, not even 90% sure Selby would pot that.

But today Selby mentioned in the documentary that when he failed to pot the last red in that frame to the green pocket, it changed the match. So yes, for me that is the huge turning point.

Postby FoulNMiss

D4P wrote:Selby talked in the documentary about how that frame was the turning point in the match. He felt he should have gone up 14-9, but Ronnie kept himself in the match by making it 13-10 instead.

I was hoping the documentary gives a huge consideration to this frame, look forward to watch it finally.

Postby FoulNMiss

D4P wrote:The shot that Selby played on the red after being snookered behind the brown was arguably a bit of a "hit and hope"...

Not wrong, it actually is, quite a bit disrespectful under that circumstances. pmsl
Last edited by FoulNMiss on 17 Apr 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby FoulNMiss

Andre147 wrote:Red was close to the cushion, not even 90% sure Selby would pot that.

But today Selby mentioned in the documentary that when he failed to pot the last red in that frame to the green pocket, it changed the match. So yes, for me that is the huge turning point.

In these 90% I put the possibility of Selby missing the pot but winning the frame (and so the match) anyway.

Postby Ronnie WST

The difference between the two was that one player took the defeat with dignity, the other didn't. Considering Ronnie lost the bigger match, that being the final, he was much more respectful in defeat than Selby was after his semi-final defeat.

People always talk about Ronnie not being respectful, but as far as I'm concerned Selby is the one who has shown disrespect to the greatest player of all time.