Post a reply

Re: Anyone know what Quinten Hann is up to these days?

Postby HappyCamper

Johnny Bravo wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:what did he get away with it? he was barred from working in financial services.

Yes, he might not be able to work in financial services anymore, but he got to retain half the money he stole, that's countless millions of dollars, over 10 if I'm not mistaken. That's more than Selbo + Robbo + Trump combined have earned in their careers.

Where are you getting 10M from?

Postby Johnny Bravo

HappyCamper wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:what did he get away with it? he was barred from working in financial services.

Yes, he might not be able to work in financial services anymore, but he got to retain half the money he stole, that's countless millions of dollars, over 10 if I'm not mistaken. That's more than Selbo + Robbo + Trump combined have earned in their careers.

The internet. <laugh>
If I'm not mistaken, one news article I've read stated a big sum along those lines.

Postby SnookerFan

Johnny Bravo wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

The internet. <laugh>
If I'm not mistaken, one news article I've read stated a big sum along those lines.

Wouldn't be like you to get a fact wrong.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Johnny Bravo wrote:

Selbo, Robbo, and Trump have worked hard, developed their talents, and became respected players at the absolute top of their sport. They can look in the mirror and be proud. They are admired and respected. They have proven that if you work hard and believe in your talent, you can achieve great things. They have earned enough money, in an honest way, to provide a good life for themselves and their loved ones, and they can give meaning to their lives by playing the sport they love. They are still able to achieve their goals and dreams, which is what makes a person happy.

Quinten Hann wasted his talent for snooker. He was banned from the game, because he was corrupt and didn't respect himself, his colleagues, or the fans. Now he is also banned from working in the financial sector. He is a joke and he is hated by many. I doubt his parents or loved ones are proud of him. I doubt he can look in the mirror and be proud of himself. I suspect he feels nervous walking in the street, hoping none of the people he stole money from are behind the corner waiting to confront him. He even had to change his name. He will never feel safe. But he probably has a Ferrari to drive around in and look like a hammer. He may have a lot of money, but he has nothing else. No dignity. There are a lot of rich idiots in the world. Not a lot of them have a great life.

Postby Prop

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

Selbo, Robbo, and Trump have worked hard, developed their talents, and became respected players at the absolute top of their sport. They can look in the mirror and be proud. They are admired and respected. They have proven that if you work hard and believe in your talent, you can achieve great things. They have earned enough money, in an honest way, to provide a good life for themselves and their loved ones, and they can give meaning to their lives by playing the sport they love. They are still able to achieve their goals and dreams, which is what makes a person happy.

Quinten Hann wasted his talent for snooker. He was banned from the game, because he was corrupt and didn't respect himself, his colleagues, or the fans. Now he is also banned from working in the financial sector. He is a joke and he is hated by many. I doubt his parents or loved ones are proud of him. I doubt he can look in the mirror and be proud of himself. I suspect he feels nervous walking in the street, hoping none of the people he stole money from are behind the corner waiting to confront him. He even had to change his name. He will never feel safe. But he probably has a Ferrari to drive around in and look like a hammer. He may have a lot of money, but he has nothing else. No dignity. There are a lot of rich idiots in the world. Not a lot of them have a great life.

Excellent post, and well said. But it’s a shame you had to explain this at all. Some people can’t help showing their true colours.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Holden Chinaski wrote:If you think Quinten Hann is not an idiot but someone to admire, you are an idiot yourself.

I never said we should aspire to do what Quinten Hann did, my point is there is something to be "respected" in what he did.

There is something like that even in hugely successful drug lords and Mafia bosses.
Take Pablo Escobar for example. At the height of his power, he was shipping 80% of the world's cocaine and was worth around 30 billion $.
Or take Mafia dons Lucky Luciano (who set up the Mafia Commission), Carlo Gambino (who died in his own bead of old age having ruled the underworld for 20+ years).

Of course I will not say these guys are role models, or that we should try to follow suit, but when you look at what they achieved, you have to take off your hat to them. They were brilliant at what they did, it only so happened that their area/domain of expertise was crime.

So basically I am not admiring their criminal activity, but their ability to pull it of, their ingenuity and intelligence.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Johnny Bravo wrote:
shanew48 wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:If you think Quinten Hann is not an idiot but someone to admire, you are an idiot yourself.

Where did anyone state he was someone to admire?

:spot on:

Ok, I'll change my statement. If you think Quinten Hann is not an idiot you are an idiot.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
shanew48 wrote:

Ok, I'll change my statement. If you think Quinten Hann is not an idiot you are an idiot.

Why would Quinten Hann be an idiot ?!?

By definition, and idiot is a stupid and not very capable person. Hann ain't stupid and he seems very capable.

A more accurate depiction of Hann would be to call him a despicable and immoral person, someone who cheated others in order to make a profit, which is something we should condemn.
But one must respect the bastard's ability to pull it of, he made himself rich.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
shanew48 wrote:

Why would Quinten Hann be an idiot ?!?

By definition, and idiot is a stupid and not very capable person. Hann ain't stupid and he seems very capable.

A more accurate depiction of Hann would be to call him a despicable and immoral person, someone who cheated others in order to make a profit, which is something we should condemn.
But one must respect the bastard's ability to pull it of, he made himself rich.

Someone who thinks money is everything and has no respect for the things that really are valuable is an idiot. Making a lot of money is not that hard, especially if you don't mind stealing. Getting away with it is also not hard, because the world is run by other idiots who only care for money.

Postby Prop

Johnny Bravo wrote:

I never said we should aspire to do what Quinten Hann did, my point is there is something to be "respected" in what he did.

There is something like that even in hugely successful drug lords and Mafia bosses.
Take Pablo Escobar for example. At the height of his power, he was shipping 80% of the world's cocaine and was worth around 30 billion $.
Or take Mafia dons Lucky Luciano (who set up the Mafia Commission), Carlo Gambino (who died in his own bead of old age having ruled the underworld for 20+ years).

Of course I will not say these guys are role models, or that we should try to follow suit, but when you look at what they achieved, you have to take off your hat to them. They were brilliant at what they did, it only so happened that their area/domain of expertise was crime.

So basically I am not admiring their criminal activity, but their ability to pull it of, their ingenuity and intelligence.

What a bizarre thing to say.

The likes of Escobar and the mafia didn’t make money by means of ingenuity or intelligence. They did it by murdering people, creating fear, and running businesses that weren’t subject to rules or regulations. There’s nothing particularly clever about bombing passenger jets or killing the innocent families of people who had something the mafia wanted to take for themselves.

To somehow paint these people as admirable is ridiculous.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Holden Chinaski wrote:Someone who thinks money is everything and has no respect for the things that really are valuable is an idiot.

No he ain't, that's not the definition of what an idiot it.

Holden Chinaski wrote:Making a lot of money is not that hard, especially if you don't mind stealing.

True, but not everyone if not capable of stealing. I for one would not indulge in such an activity, my moral guidelines and consciousness prevent him from doing so.

Holden Chinaski wrote:Getting away with it is also not hard, because the world is run by other idiots who only care for money.

Getting away with is is quite hard, otherwise prisons wouldn't be full of criminals. ;-)

BTW, Happy New Year !!! :party:

Postby Holden Chinaski

There are a lot more people like Hann outside of prisons than inside them. These people are politicians, lawyers, businessmen, bank managers, promoters, insurance agents ...

An idiot is someone with low intelligence. If you think being intelligent is about being good with numbers, working out corrupt schemes, bribing people, misleading people, and stealing, then yes, Hann is intelligent.

If you believe being intelligent is working out what things really matter in life, how to achieve your goals and use your talents, and finding out how to live a happy, fulfilling life, and making the world around you a better place, then Hann is an idiot.

Postby shanew48

Holden Chinaski wrote:There are a lot more people like Hann outside of prisons than inside them. These people are politicians, lawyers, businessmen, bank managers, promoters, insurance agents ...

An idiot is someone with low intelligence. If you think being intelligent is about being good with numbers, working out corrupt schemes, bribing people, misleading people, and stealing, then yes, Hann is intelligent.

If you believe being intelligent is working out what things really matter in life, how to achieve your goals and use your talents, and finding out how to live a happy, fulfilling life, and making the world around you a better place, then Hann is an idiot.

There is a certain level of intelligence required to be good with numbers and dream up, figure out, pull off and get away with corrupt schemes I would say, so by that metric Hann could be considered intelligent and not an idiot.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Prop wrote:What a bizarre thing to say.

The likes of Escobar and the mafia didn’t make money by means of ingenuity or intelligence. They did it by murdering people, creating fear, and running businesses that weren’t subject to rules or regulations. There’s nothing particularly clever about bombing passenger jets or killing the innocent families of people who had something the mafia wanted to take for themselves.

They didn't murder people just for the sake of it, they did it in order to further their criminal activity.
And both Escobar and the Mafia had plenty of ingenuity. In Escobar's case, it's not like he could cross the border with cocaine in his luggage, he had to figure out ways to smuggle it.
And the Mafia had plenty of ingenious schemes, like the gas scheme developed by Michael Franzese. He was making between 4 and 8 million $ a week from it. And it didn't involve any killing at all.

Postby Prop

Johnny Bravo wrote:

They didn't murder people just for the sake of it, they did it in order to further their criminal activity.
And both Escobar and the Mafia had plenty of ingenuity. In Escobar's case, it's not like he could cross the border with cocaine in his luggage, he had to figure out ways to smuggle it.
And the Mafia had plenty of ingenious schemes, like the gas scheme developed by Michael Franzese. He was making between 4 and 8 million $ a week from it. And it didn't involve any killing at all.

You’re completely missing the point.

Had the likes of Escobar and the mafia done everything by the book, exporting pineapples instead of cocaine, and growing their networks through legal and legitimate means, rather than trading in an illegal product worth more than gold in weight and murdering people to get what they wanted, they wouldn’t have been anywhere near as ‘successful’ as they became. They would have been nobody. You wouldn’t have even heard of them.

The reason they’re famous, and somehow became heroes to smallminded idiots, is because they were evil, murderous chameleons who created misery and destruction for the sake of their own selfish greed.

Postby shanew48

Prop wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

Had the likes of Escobar and the mafia done everything by the book, exporting pineapples instead of cocaine, and growing their networks through legal and legitimate means, rather than trading in an illegal product worth more than gold in weight and murdering people to get what they wanted, they wouldn’t have been anywhere near as ‘successful’ as they became. They would have been nobody. You wouldn’t have even heard of them.

The reason they’re famous, and somehow became heroes to smallminded idiots, is because they were evil, murderous chameleons who created misery and destruction for the sake of their own selfish greed.

The snooker world hasn't been perfect itself has it to be fair and has well known (racist) "murderous chameleons who created misery and destruction" those who cast the first stone and all that.

Postby Prop

shanew48 wrote:
Prop wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

The snooker world hasn't been perfect itself has it to be fair and has well known (racist) "murderous chameleons who created misery and destruction" those who cast the first stone and all that.

Sorry, you’ve lost me there Shane. Could you elaborate?

Postby SnookerFan

Prop wrote:
shanew48 wrote:
Prop wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

Sorry, you’ve lost me there Shane. Could you elaborate?

Please don't encourage Shane to talk more.