Post a reply

Re: Alan McManus announces retirement

Postby mick745

Will be missed on the tour but it wasnt likely he'd have been seen at later stages of any tournaments now

Has a promising career ahead as commentator/summariser.

Postby Running side

Nice guy, probably not made any money from playing for a number years. Hopefully set for a new full time career in TV,not sure if he's involved in coaching would imagine he'd be very good.

Postby Andre147

eraserhead wrote:World snooker tweet and interview

https://twitter.com/WeAreWST/status/1380581983378677762

Yeah, I thought it wasn't yet on WST site for some reason.

It's his decision, and he has done more than enough for the game of Snooker. We'll continue to listen to his commentary and punditry which is very good and accurate.

Postby lhpirnie

Running side wrote:Nice guy, probably not made any money from playing for a number years. Hopefully set for a new full time career in TV,not sure if he's involved in coaching would imagine he'd be very good.

Yes, he coaches the young Scottish player Dean Young.

Postby The_Abbott

Dan-cat wrote:Only seems like yesterday he was in the semis of the Worlds but I guess it was... 2015? 6 years ago. Sh*t. Life flying by

It does seem like yesterday. Still one of my favourite moments in recent years. I wish the final that year had been McManus V Fu.

Postby vodkadiet1

Dan-cat wrote:Only seems like yesterday he was in the semis of the Worlds but I guess it was... 2015? 6 years ago. Sh*t. Life flying by

2016 in fact.

But trust a Glaswegian to try and steal the thunder of the day of the death of The Duke of Edinburgh!! News organisations have now had to reaarange their agendas all over the world!

Postby Prop

Running side wrote:Nice guy, probably not made any money from playing for a number years. Hopefully set for a new full time career in TV,not sure if he's involved in coaching would imagine he'd be very good.

He did a feature recently, think it was the TC on ITV, where he was talking about the 3/4 ball low black shot to get directly on a red near the pink spot to a corner bag. That little stun-screw that’s dependent on the pace and rotation of the white being just right to find the right line. He described it as similar to the biting point of the clutch in a car, which was an analogy I’d never heard before but was absolutely perfect. So yeah, very knowledgeable, and surely a massive asset to whoever he works with.

Postby Prop

Flying :-(

Postby Prop

vodkadiet1 wrote:

2016 in fact.

But trust a Glaswegian to try and steal the thunder of the day of the death of The Duke of Edinburgh!! News organisations have now had to reaarange their agendas all over the world!

buck him. buck the royals.

Postby vodkadiet1

Prop wrote:

'The passing of time and all of its sickening crimes is making me sad again...' Rubber Ring (The Smiths).

Postby vodkadiet1

Prop wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:

2016 in fact.

A hugely priveleged 99 year old has left this mortal coil today. And nobody else ever dies.....

Postby Prop

vodkadiet1 wrote:
Prop wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:

2016 in fact.

A hugely priveleged 99 year old has left this mortal coil today. And nobody else ever dies.....

Seems we can agree on something.

Postby Iranu

Prop wrote:

He did a feature recently, think it was the TC on ITV, where he was talking about the 3/4 ball low black shot to get directly on a red near the pink spot to a corner bag. That little stun-screw that’s dependent on the pace and rotation of the white being just right to find the right line. He described it as similar to the biting point of the clutch in a car, which was an analogy I’d never heard before but was absolutely perfect. So yeah, very knowledgeable, and surely a massive asset to whoever he works with.

He’s a different class when it comes to explaining about the intricacies of the game.

One of my favourite Angles moments came on the Snooker Scene podcast, where he revealed that he rotates his cue by 90 degrees in its case every so often to counterbalance any warping from gravity rofl

Postby SnookerFan

Prop wrote:

I watched some of that in the pub, and got very drunk.

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:
Prop wrote:

He’s a different class when it comes to explaining about the intricacies of the game.

One of my favourite Angles moments came on the Snooker Scene podcast, where he revealed that he rotates his cue by 90 degrees in its case every so often to counterbalance any warping from gravity rofl

Pure technical geekery!!! :-D

Postby Cloud Strife

vodkadiet1 wrote:
Prop wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:

2016 in fact.

First we lose His Royal Highness, then, I see us lose Alan McManus from the sport of snooker forever. A double whammy. Truly one of the worst days of my life. And I'm 36 years old.

Postby McManusFan

That's a shame, it would have been lovely if he'd managed to qualify for the crucible though. Hopefully we'll get to see more of him on the tele now.

Postby Juddernaut88

McManusFan wrote:That's a shame, it would have been lovely if he'd managed to qualify for the crucible though. Hopefully we'll get to see more of him on the tele now.

Who is your favourite player now?

Postby McManusFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:
McManusFan wrote:That's a shame, it would have been lovely if he'd managed to qualify for the crucible though. Hopefully we'll get to see more of him on the tele now.

Too soon! It hasn't even been 24hrs and you're expecting me to have moved on!

It's John Higgins.

Postby Juddernaut88

McManusFan wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:

Too soon! It hasn't even been 24hrs and you're expecting me to have moved on!

It's John Higgins.

Lol I apologise.

Postby Andre147

I think from his interview you can see this isn't a new thing, but it got worse when Covid hit us. He was a bit fed up with the game before Covid, saying he didn't practice much and once Covid started he felt that was it for him, and he made his decision last Christmas. Plus doing so many media stuff as commentator and punditry meant he wasn't putting enough practice in, but at the same time he just didn't want to commit to many hours of practice.

That's the thing as you get older, even practice becomes harder and you only get really fired up for big matches, but of course you won't play in big matches if you continue to have poor results. Fair play on him, and I wish him all the best. He may be modest about it, but what he did at the 1994 Masters was remarkable, stopped Hendry's incredible run of 5 consecutive titles, a bit like Doherty did at the 1997 Worlds, and that is an incredible feat in itself, especially as he did it with a very composed break in the decider.