Post a reply

World Snooker Shot of the Decade 1977-1986

Postby shanew48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzysDEe ... admoose147

Thoughts From the above World Snooker Shot of the Decade 1977-1986 :

The winner has to be
1st- Shot F - Higgins
2nd - Shot J - Foulds
3rd - Shot M - Knowles (Anyone who has played the game will know how well he had to strike that to get back down for the pink as he had very little angle to play with so had to catch it just right)

The rest are really nothing special at all by todays standards obviously but I was still surprised how basic most of the shots were that made it into the shot of the decade! the standard must have been even more basic than I thought!

Am I right or wrong with my order? or is there ones that should be in there that I've left out? obviously I feel I have the order correct based on the other contenders.

Re: World Snooker Shot of the Decade 1977-1986

Postby McManusFan

Higgins' shot (F) has to be the top one. I'd put Reardon's long pot (shot B) in too, it wasn't anything too fancy but they said it was match ball. I can't believe Steve Davis' black off the spot was on there - rather routine these days.

Postby badtemperedcyril

What a rubbish selection. I can think of loads of shots between these years that I'd put in ahead of these. One that sticks in my mind is that outrageous pink by Perrie Mans when trailing Ray Reardon in the 1978 World Final. He drilled it into the bottom pocket, cue in the air... and screwed back for the black.

https://youtu.be/ZMS9ghYrlLI?t=2817

Postby AlfGit

shanew48 wrote:The winner has to be
1st- Shot F - Higgins
2nd - Shot J - Foulds
3rd - Shot M - Knowles (Anyone who has played the game will know how well he had to strike that to get back down for the pink as he had very little angle to play with so had to catch it just right)

As soon as I saw Higgins at the top of the list, I knew which shot it would be without having to look, and I completely agree. Considering that any miss in that break would have almost certainly cost him the match and he would not have been champion that year, it was not only spectacular but extremely important.

By the way, I have always thought that if Jimmy had won that match, he would probably have beaten Ray Reardon in the final and snooker history would be very different.

I also agree with your second choice, but I do not understand your reasoning for the third because he did not end up on the pink. Did you mean the blue?

I think that BadTemperedCyril is absolutely right that the Perrie Mans pink should have been in the selection, and I would probably put that third.