Greater rivalry

Ronnie O'Sullivan v John Higgins
50%
Ronnie O'Sullivan v Mark Selby
50%

Total votes : 16

Re: Greater Snooker rivalry

Postby TheRocket

Johnny Bravo wrote:Ronnie's prime only started after 2004, when he learned the tactical and safety part from Reardon.
And the best version of Ronnie is the 2012-2014 version.

Reardon helped Ronnie and is the key reason for his longevity but I do think that the 2001-2004 ROS would have a lot more success against Higgins and Selby.

Ronnie didnt have a strong allround game like post 2004 but he was a savage scorer and potter. Just watch the 2001 World final. I think he would have steamrolled Selby on many occasions like in Masters 2014 final fashion.

We even have two examples like the CoC 2019 and World semis 2020 where he played the way he did when he was younger. Higgins and Selby were rattled.

Postby mick745

I think a lot is made of "needle" in sport often where none or very little exists, and why not it brings in the punters.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:Iranu vs Jill Douglas.

They need to get a room :hmmm:

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:Iranu vs Jill Douglas.

Nah too one-sided

Postby TheRocket

mick745 wrote:I think a lot is made of "needle" in sport often where none or very little exists, and why not it brings in the punters.

I think there is needle when it comes to ROS vs Selby. They clearly cant stand each other and its not just some made-up thing.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:
mick745 wrote:I think a lot is made of "needle" in sport often where none or very little exists, and why not it brings in the punters.

I think there is needle when it comes to ROS vs Selby. They clearly cant stand each other and its not just some made-up thing.

Between 2016-2019 these two seem to get along very well, in fact they did many exhibitions together.

The 2020 Worlds Semi reignited the rivarly though.

Postby Iranu

TheRocket wrote:

I thought they were getting on for a while after Ronnie started working with Eurosport and they even did punditry together on there.

It seems to me the needle has reignited after last year's semi final with Selby making lots of digs about Ronnie’s cue action/tip comments in the run up to Christmas.

Postby TheRocket

Iranu wrote:
TheRocket wrote:

I thought they were getting on for a while after Ronnie started working with Eurosport and they even did punditry together on there.

It seems to me the needle has reignited after last year's semi final with Selby making lots of digs about Ronnie’s cue action/tip comments in the run up to Christmas.

That getting on thing for a while always looked fake to me tbh. Not saying they hated each other but their relationship was never be like Ronnie and Higgins.

After last years WC things obviously got worse and its Selby this time who has reignited with his comments. In the past it used to be Ronnie who was making comments about Selbys style of play.

Postby Andre147

It didn't help matter when Ronnie complained to Leo Scullion about Selby sipping his water at the Scottish Final, when Selby didn't seem to do anything to distract him.

Postby cupotee

HappyCamper wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:When did they make changes to the qualifying process? I swear Ding Junhui had to play 3 qualifiers in 2016? but now there are a lot of players just outside the top 16 that only have to play 1 qualifier.

They changed back to a tiered structure last season.

was that just them limiting things through covid ? because best of 11's for the first 3 rounds and best of 19's for the 4th round is still fewer frames than best of 19's for three rounds the way it was for all players ranked 17 - 144 previously .

Postby Iranu

Andre147 wrote:It didn't help matter when Ronnie complained to Leo Scullion about Selby sipping his water at the Scottish Final, when Selby didn't seem to do anything to distract him.

Yeah that was weird.

It was also weird that Selby said Ronnie always does stuff like that when he’s losing. He obviously doesn’t.

Postby Iranu

And I very much doubt Ronnie and Higgins get on either, although Ronnie has far more respect for him than Selby, clearly.

Postby TheRocket

Andre147 wrote:It didn't help matter when Ronnie complained to Leo Scullion about Selby sipping his water at the Scottish Final, when Selby didn't seem to do anything to distract him.

Apparently Ronnie did that because the frame before Selby thought Ronnie was chalking his cue while Selby was playing his shot and then he got up and looked at Ronnie. Which annoyed ROS. Selby also already made his cue action and tip comments before the final. There is no doubt the 2020 WC semis scarred Selby.

In the past though it was definitely Ronnie who was making the comments and having digs at Selby.

Postby SnookerFan

It baffles me that people find needle entertaining.

Watching a bunch of grown men whine on about stupid rubbish like who was taking a drink, who was playing disrespectful shots, who was chalking their cue at the wrong time etc gets really tedious.

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:It baffles me that people find needle entertaining.

Watching a bunch of grown men whine on about stupid rubbish like who was taking a drink, who was playing disrespectful shots, who was chalking their cue at the wrong time etc gets really tedious.

It baffles me that you don't. At top-level sport, a bit of needle creates tension, atmosphere, adds to the storyline.

Postby Iranu

Yeah I mostly agree.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:

It baffles me that you don't. At top-level sport, a bit of needle creates tension, atmosphere, adds to the storyline.

But Higgins vs Ronnie is a great rivalry, possibly the best, and you'd need a skilled surgeon to remove them from each other's bottom crack.

I don't see the appeal to watching people bickering like children. This isn't TOWIE.

Postby TheRocket

Iranu wrote:And I very much doubt Ronnie and Higgins get on either, although Ronnie has far more respect for him than Selby, clearly.

Ronnie and Higgins are obviously not pals but I gotta give them credit that they have this very respectful relationship given how big and career defining this rivalry has proved to be. Reminds me a little bit of Fed vs Nadal. You look at Ronnie vs Hendry,MJW or Selby and there was "needle" at some stage.

Postby SnookerFan

I remember Foulds saying something about Higgins and Ronnie "not spending a lot of time together" on TV, sounding like it meant that they didn't get on. When I asked what he meant by this, people on here were just like; "Well, one lives in Glasgow and one lives in Essex, course they don't."

It obviously meant something more than that. I'd always got the impression that they loved each other. Is that not the case?

Is it just because Ronnie is a running and healthy eating anorak, and Higgins is basically never out of the pub?

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:I remember Foulds saying something about Higgins and Ronnie "not spending a lot of time together" on TV, sounding like it meant that they didn't get on. When I asked what he meant by this, people on here were just like; "Well, one lives in Glasgow and one lives in Essex, course they don't."

It obviously meant something more than that. I'd always got the impression that they loved each other. Is that not the case?

Is it just because Ronnie is a running and healthy eating anorak, and Higgins is basically never out of the pub?

I remember that too.

I also remember one of the two (can’t remember which) saying it’s hard get on with someone who’s been such a big rival over the years.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:

Surely not. I mean, you & Dan get on OK :chin:

Postby Prop

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:

But Higgins vs Ronnie is a great rivalry, possibly the best, and you'd need a skilled surgeon to remove them from each other's bottom crack.

I don't see the appeal to watching people bickering like children. This isn't TOWIE.

It’s not the bickering itself that’s appealing. More that the sniping indicates the undercurrent between the two players is fierce. It brings emotion into it. And that adds value to the competition.

A bit like Kevin Keegan and Man utd.

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Surely not. I mean, you & Dan get on OK :chin:

Yeah, well Dan respects all the running and healthy eating that I do. :spot on:

Postby Pink Ball

Iranu wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I remember Foulds saying something about Higgins and Ronnie "not spending a lot of time together" on TV, sounding like it meant that they didn't get on. When I asked what he meant by this, people on here were just like; "Well, one lives in Glasgow and one lives in Essex, course they don't."

I remember that too.

I also remember one of the two (can’t remember which) saying it’s hard get on with someone who’s been such a big rival over the years.

I think it was Higgins who said that, but it was about Mark Williams.

I doubt any of the three would be calling to each other’s houses or anything, like, but I do get the strong impression that Higgins and O’Sullivan do like each other.

I always found it a bit odd that Hendry and Williams were actually good mates. That can’t be good for competitiveness.

Postby D4P

Ronnie has said that he tries not to be too friendly with other players that might be his rivals, since he wants to keep a competitive edge. He plans to be more friendly after he retires.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Dan-cat wrote:

:goodpost:
I always enjoy a ROS win over the boring grinder way more than I do a win over the fatso. :happy: