Post a reply

Re: Jimmy White

Postby Iranu

I’d much rather see Hendry at the Crucible again than Jimmy. Can’t put my finger on why.

Postby SteveJJ

Running side wrote:I'm with you Mr Rabbit,Jimmy brought so many players to the game, playing attacking, brilliant snooker. He obviously is past his best but for fans of a certain age he was box office. Think younger fans don't appreciate him not seeing him in his prime and watching him on YouTube. Who would you rather watch making a 147,Jimmy or Selby

Either for me. Just because they have different styles of play doesnt mean one is inferior to the other or any less watchable than the other

Postby gallantrabbit

Iranu wrote:
gallantrabbit wrote:Respect fellows please. Jimmy was and is the one and only people's champion. So many people took up the game because of his influence and he has always been a man of the people. Alex Higgins? Do me a favour. Only ever had one person in his mind. Ronnie? That's a laugh too.
I wish people would leave him alone. More than just about anyone, JImmy deserves an invitational for as long as he likes. In life you get back what you put in. Same goes for snooker. By the way did his oppos all let him win on his run to the last 16 of the Gibraltar open? He can still play, but of course the older you get the more inconsistent you are. Will he get to the Crucible? I doubt it, but if he could play a bit more freely like he did the other week he might come closeish.
I think Jimmy is enjoying life on tour despite the lack of consistent results so let him be cos he won't be around forever.

Rubbish

Great well crafted post...just one thing, what part of it is rubbish?

Postby gallantrabbit

SteveJJ wrote:
Running side wrote:I'm with you Mr Rabbit,Jimmy brought so many players to the game, playing attacking, brilliant snooker. He obviously is past his best but for fans of a certain age he was box office. Think younger fans don't appreciate him not seeing him in his prime and watching him on YouTube. Who would you rather watch making a 147,Jimmy or Selby

Either for me. Just because they have different styles of play doesnt mean one is inferior to the other or any less watchable than the other

I love watching Selby too.

Postby gallantrabbit

badtemperedcyril wrote:
gallantrabbit wrote:Respect fellows please. Jimmy was and is the one and only people's champion. So many people took up the game because of his influence and he has always been a man of the people. Alex Higgins? Do me a favour. Only ever had one person in his mind. Ronnie? That's a laugh too.
I wish people would leave him alone. More than just about anyone, JImmy deserves an invitational for as long as he likes. In life you get back what you put in. Same goes for snooker. By the way did his oppos all let him win on his run to the last 16 of the Gibraltar open? He can still play, but of course the older you get the more inconsistent you are. Will he get to the Crucible? I doubt it, but if he could play a bit more freely like he did the other week he might come closeish.
I think Jimmy is enjoying life on tour despite the lack of consistent results so let him be cos he won't be around forever.

Alex Higgins wasn't the Peoples Champion? Yeh ok mate... <doh>

Only cared about one person. Didn't know how to treat others and was ignorant as hell. still got the support of the 'working man' but people rather saw through him in the end, myself included.

Postby Iranu

gallantrabbit wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Rubbish

Great well crafted post...just one thing, what part of it is rubbish?

I don’t think it’s disrespectful to say that Jimmy shouldn’t get a wildcard.

I don’t think Jimmy deserves a wildcard just for what he did a quarter of a century ago if his form doesn’t justify it which it never has, give or take a handful of matches across a span of several years. I don’t think it’s right that he takes up a spot on the tour that could be used more beneficially. I don’t think it matters how much he enjoys it.

I also think it’s both a symptom and a contributor to this continuing belief among less hardcore fans that the golden era of snooker was three decades when even the chairman of the sport doesn’t allow the past to be the past, even if it’s harmful to the future.

If he can still play, why shouldn’t he prove it in Q School?

Postby gallantrabbit

Don't think many would argue that Jimmy is our greatest ever ambassador. It's called an exception Iranu. If he was permanently getting pumped 1st round I would advise him to pack it in, but still think the game owes him a place on tour while he wants it. At least you tried to qualify your 'argument' this time.

Postby gallantrabbit

If one day we get a bunch of class hungry amateurs waiting in the wings once again I may agree that Jimmy is taking up a place. But while the Lee Walkers and Rory Mcleods are managing to scrape back on tour from Q school I really don't see the problem with Jimmy and Ken getting invitations.

Postby Iranu

gallantrabbit wrote:Don't think many would argue that Jimmy is our greatest ever ambassador. It's called an exception Iranu. If he was permanently getting pumped 1st round I would advise him to pack it in, but still think the game owes him a place on tour while he wants it. At least you tried to qualify your 'argument' this time.

Yeah sorry my earlier post was poor form.

He’s been a fantastic ambassador, I don’t think anybody would deny that. But that’s just living in the past again. He can continue to be a fantastic ambassador as a pundit and personality, there’s absolutely nothing to be gained from him losing almost every match he plays in, being a fraction of the player he once once outside of a couple of exceptions.

And again, if Walker and McLeod can scrape on through Q School, so can Jimmy.

Postby gallantrabbit

Don't get me wrong, I'm not excited at all about White v Hendry, although hopefully they'll bring some quality to the table. I also don't think they should keep finding ways for him to be involved in the CofC, much the same for the Women's world champion spot. I do think there can be exceptions though for a tour advertised as 64 but in reality for 128. It's not 1992 where 600 hungry cuesists are waiting in the wings but rather 2021 where too many players get back on tour only to suffer 2 more years of doing pretty much nothing. Of course I accept though that many are against the invitational cards.

Postby Iranu

gallantrabbit wrote:Don't get me wrong, I'm not excited at all about White v Hendry, although hopefully they'll bring some quality to the table. I also don't think they should keep finding ways for him to be involved in the CofC, much the same for the Women's world champion spot. I do think there can be exceptions though for a tour advertised as 64 but in reality for 128. It's not 1992 where 600 hungry cuesists are waiting in the wings but rather 2021 where too many players get back on tour only to suffer 2 more years of doing pretty much nothing. Of course I accept though that many are against the invitational cards.

Funnily enough I have no issue with the Seniors and Women's invitations to the CoC (although I wonder if the Seniors would initially have got an invitation if Jimmy hadn’t won it that year.) i’d rather that than have a tournament specifically designed for champions to be topped up with rankings.

I’d rather they invited World Amateur champions etc ahead of Seniors, though.

My issue with the point I’ve bolded is that Jimmy does less than most if not all of those players.

Postby gallantrabbit

Guess we're going to disagree on this which is fine. Jimmy is however at 83 so there are over 40 below him...

Postby cupotee

gallantrabbit wrote:If one day we get a bunch of class hungry amateurs waiting in the wings once again I may agree that Jimmy is taking up a place. But while the Lee Walkers and Rory Mcleods are managing to scrape back on tour from Q school I really don't see the problem with Jimmy and Ken getting invitations.

snooker in britain has been faced with an investment problem with youths unable to get access to tables respectfully similar to pro tables for what seems like forever so the walkers mcleods davisons burdens pinches peter lines etc will be near insurmountable obstacles at the q school for decades yet , there never will be a bunch of class hungry british amateurs waiting in the wings unless the pro tour is opened up to all with an entrance fee and the q school is done away with , that seems by far the best way to overcome the investment problem , have individuals and their families pay for it themselves and get these kids feet wet and become strong players through losing and learning , and of course it would make in roads on the chinese having seemingly much more good teenagers than british , not knowledgeable on the chinese numbers though , the poster lhpirnie might have interesting figures on the number of good chinese players who are familiar and very competent on pro tables , there seems to be a dearth of them in britain .

Postby gallantrabbit

Britain is well past the peak in terms of snooker clubs so the 80s/90s scene won't happen again I doubt. I think the Q school is about right. Much better than the greedy opening of the game for all that thought they could poke a stick straight.

Postby gallantrabbit

Iranu wrote:I’d much rather see Hendry at the Crucible again than Jimmy. Can’t put my finger on why.

I'll always back Jimmy, but he has no chance of getting to Sheffield. With Hendry we really don't know yet, but he'll have to really get on a roll to get through.

Postby cupotee

gallantrabbit wrote:Britain is well past the peak in terms of snooker clubs so the 80s/90s scene won't happen again I doubt. I think the Q school is about right. Much better than the greedy opening of the game for all that thought they could poke a stick straight.

I don’t think the english partnership for snooker and billiards or the english amateur snooker and billiards association have had a pot to pee in and the former is reliant on wst’s money now anyway , its all about money anyway and always was , when jimmy white was going up and down england in amateur tournaments in the 70’s what was keeping him afloat , pope john paul II in the vatican ? the problem can only be overcome through money .

Postby mick745

The problem is no defined rules have been laid down as to who gets an invitational tour card and who doesnt.

If say all former world champions get one then okay but Jimmy would miss out.

If say all former triple crown winners got one then that's fine also.

But the situation is Jimmy gets one at the expense of someone else. It may be more ticket sales/spinsorship/tv audience are generated but how much difference that really makes is probably very low. It is not as if his matches in the first round of some obscure tournament are shown live on terrestrial television.

Ask nearly everybody with only a passing interest in snooker if Jimmy White still plays most wouldnt have a clue.

If they were that bothered about watching him the could go to the seniors events.

The fluent, exciting attacking days of thrilling audiences are long gone from his game anyhow.

Postby Dragonfly

gallantrabbit wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:

Alex Higgins wasn't the Peoples Champion? Yeh ok mate... <doh>

Only cared about one person. Didn't know how to treat others and was ignorant as hell. still got the support of the 'working man' but people rather saw through him in the end, myself included.

Higgins was a nasty piece of work. It's amazing now looking back how he had so much support. Many people hated Davis who was and still is a true ambassador for the sport. But they all loved Higgins. I guess the culture at the time was so much different.

As a player I never even rated Higgins that highly. I accept that he was already past his peak in the 80s. He obviously had his moments but dogged by inconsistencies and poor technique meant he was easy for the likes of Davis to deal with.

Postby The_Abbott

No chance neither Jimmy of Hendry will beat Yuelong over BO19 which they would have to do to qualify