Post a reply

Re: The person in the crowd

Postby Dragonfly

Yeah I remember this. The story at the time was the shout from the crowd put him off. It's not entirely accurate. He wasn't about to execute the shot and actually had the time to stop and line up the shot again.

Postby badtemperedcyril

Dan-cat wrote:I remember well him winning the 1989 Anglian Windows British Open. Crazy fist-pumping at the end

Meo was known as a fast, attacking player in his early days. By the time of his 1989 British Open win he was anything but. Both him and Reynolds (whom he beat in the final) were both painfully slow and unenterprising. Makes me laugh when people knock Selby, calling him Slowby and the like. They really have no idea how slow some of the old guard were, like Thorburn, Griffiths and Charlton. Personlly, slow play has never bothered me. I think it enriching for the game to have a variation of styles and characters.

Postby Dragonfly

badtemperedcyril wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:I remember well him winning the 1989 Anglian Windows British Open. Crazy fist-pumping at the end

Meo was known as a fast, attacking player in his early days. By the time of his 1989 British Open win he was anything but. Both him and Reynolds (whom he beat in the final) were both painfully slow and unenterprising. Makes me laugh when people knock Selby, calling him Slowby and the like. They really have no idea how slow some of the old guard were, like Thorburn, Griffiths and Charlton. Personlly, slow play has never bothered me. I think it enriching for the game to have a variation of styles and characters.

Meo was a free flowing player in his earlier days. He always used play really well with Davis in the world doubles. As time went on his playing style got bogged down and he became really slow and negative.

Apparently Meo has a jewellery business now, and has resisted efforts to get him involved in any sort of comeback for seniors events and so on.

Postby badtemperedcyril

Dragonfly wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:

Meo was a free flowing player in his earlier days. He always used play really well with Davis in the world doubles. As time went on his playing style got bogged down and he became really slow and negative.

Apparently Meo has a jewellery business now, and has resisted efforts to get him involved in any sort of comeback for seniors events and so on.
A lot of people will naturally assume that Meo played the supporting role in his partnership with Davis but anyone who watched them or read the reports will know that was far from the case.