Post a reply

Re: Top 5 contenders for Worlds 2021

Postby Johnny Bravo

Juddernaut88 wrote:Naaa Johnny Ronnie is a player that can never be ruled out, at the start of the world championship last year not many thought he would win it. He is definitely a strong contender for me.

I'm not ruling him out, I'm just saying he ain't among my top 5 contenders.

Postby badtemperedcyril

In this order:

Trump
O'Sullivan
Selby
Higgins

Can't see anyone outside of those four winning it.

Robbo would be 5th

Then a pool of unlikelies...
Wilson (K), Allen, Bingtao, Bingham, Hawk, Smurf.

As a young player maybe worth a punt on winning it withing 5 years... Jamie Wilson He's definitely a Black Beauty.

Postby Acé

everyone has given up on Ding what a complete turnaround from last year, even in the unlikelies (is that even a word?) section LOL I mean your spirit has to be so broken you guys have Murphy, Allen, Hawkins etc above Ding

Postby Pink Ball

Ding is definitely among the players who has an outside chance, and he’s probably higher than most players on that list. But do I see him as the most likely winner? Not even close. There are at least five players ahead of him, and that’s being very generous.

I think there’s a 90% chance that the winner will come from one of the five players I’ve mentioned, and Trump makes up a fair chunk of that 90%.

Postby badtemperedcyril

I can’t think of a more deserving world champion than Ding but just can’t see it happening now. He’s still one of the top players in the game, on ability but probably carries the scars of too many Crucible failures.

Robbo has also been one huge flop at the Crucible since his solitary title 11 years ago. As well as he often plays in other events, he’d need the draw to open up very favourably to have any chance.

Postby Andre147

Holden Chinaski wrote:Little Ben Mertens will lift the trophy.

Or Luca! Belgium deserves a world Champion!

Postby FoulNMiss

That Higgins' second part of the season reminds me Williams' in 2017 - 2018 until the WC. The absolute beast woke up since the Masters and I assume he won't go back to his nap at the Crucible. MJW won the 2018 WC after an eternity, Ronnie last year, this year I can see with ease the last of 92 making his huge return, which would be highly symbolic.

Obiously the others favourites are called Trump, Robertson, O'Sullivan and Selby and I would be astonished if the 2021 WC would not be one of these five. So my order would be :

1- Higgins (let's take some risks)
2- Trump
3- Selby/O'Sullivan
5- Robertson

Postby Andre147

Who knows... you might be right, and you can never write a legend like Higgins off. In fact like you say the last 3 World Champs, two have been won by the Class of 92, could Higgins make it this year?

He's in the best form to do so, even better than when he reached the Finals in 2017, 2018 and 2019.

Postby TheRocket

If Ronnie doesnt win the World I wouldnt mind if it was Higgins. Why?

Just to show everyone how much "the standard is higher than ever" rubbish couldnt be any further away from the truth. It always makes me laugh if pundits keep repeating this rubbish without realizing the same people who were already topplayers 10 years ago or even longer are still winning all the titles.

Postby Juddernaut88

I hope Judd can put an end to this other weird "curse" no player that has headed into the world championship that has won 5 ranking titles or more in that season has won the world championship that year. Hendry in 1990/1991, Ding Junhui in 2013/2014, Ronnie O'Sullivan in 2017/2018 and Judd Trump in 2019/2020.
Of course both Stephen Hendry and Judd Trump did have that crucible curse label as well though.

Mark Selby did win 5 ranking titles in 2016/2017 including the world championship but it was 4 heading into it.

Postby Andre147

That's hardly a curse Judders.

Even last season he won 6 rankers and nobody else had done it before, and it certainly wasn't called a curse.

The Crucible Curse, now that's something that will likely never be broken.

Postby TheRocket

draw will be important and the Tour Championship will decide in which half of the draw Higgins will be. Ronnies/Robbos or Trumps/Selbys. Could make a huge difference in the end.

Postby FoulNMiss

Robbo is about to stand in the Trump's half if he keeps his third place, right ? Which would mean Ronnie/Selby and Trump/Robbo. Of course he will have to reach the final at the Tour if he doesnt want to lose some points.
Last edited by FoulNMiss on 17 Mar 2021, edited 2 times in total.

Postby FoulNMiss

Andre147 wrote:Who knows... you might be right, and you can never write a legend like Higgins off. In fact like you say the last 3 World Champs, two have been won by the Class of 92, could Higgins make it this year?

He's in the best form to do so, even better than when he reached the Finals in 2017, 2018 and 2019.

:goodpost:
If he was able to reach the final in 2017, 2018, 2019 when he didn't show so much else on these seasons, then no doubt he can do even better this year.

Postby TheRocket

FoulNMiss wrote:Robbo is about to stand in the Trump's half if he keeps his third place, right ? Which would mean Ronnie/Selby and Trump/Robbo. Of course he will have to reach the final at the Tour if he doesnt want to lose some points.

http://www.snooker.org/res/index.asp?template=48

Robbo would have to win the Tour Champs to get to third place again and swap positions with Selby. So atm the likely scenario is Ronnie/Robbo and Trump/Selby.

Postby rane

I think

1. Judd Trump
2. Selby
3. O´Sullivan
4. Robertson
5. Higgins

And I hope for Ding as long as he´s in the tournament, but he hasn´t shown signs of playing anywhere near what is needed.

Postby chengdufan

I think there'll be a Chinese winner this year. Top 5 contenders:
1. Zhou Yuelong
2. Yan Bingtao
3. Xiao Guodong
4. Pang Junxu
5. Lu Ning

Postby Juddernaut88

chengdufan wrote:I think there'll be a Chinese winner this year. Top 5 contenders:
1. Zhou Yuelong
2. Yan Bingtao
3. Xiao Guodong
4. Pang Junxu
5. Lu Ning

Certainly not biased :chuckle:

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:Do other people not keep tabs of who they predict to win the World Championship every year? Because I sure as rubbish do.

No. They don't.

Are you Adrian Monk?

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:I hate The Crucible Curse.

I want somebody to break it just to end that tedious chat once and for all.

They’ll just re-word it again. You’re stuck with it SF. :hmmm:

Postby HappyCamper

It's okay Jimmy white did it last year at the seniors. So-called Curse is officially over.

Postby Andre147

It's not tedious, it exists!

THE CURSE!!!

Postby SnookerFan

HappyCamper wrote:

It's okay Jimmy white did it last year at the seniors. So-called Curse is officially over.

Postby SteveJJ

HappyCamper wrote:

Sadly they were his 2nd and 3rd world seniors titles. He won it in 2010, albeit that wasn't at the Crucible. The curse remains. Although no call to mention it this year as it can't be broken.