Post a reply

Re: Are they both "geniuses" ?

Postby vodkadiet1

Pink Ball wrote:I believe O’Sullivan is a genius. I also believe I am a genius. Nobody delivers post as quickly and accurately as I can.

I agree that you are a genius Pink Ball. I am also a genius as I can hold urine in for so long that when I eventually urinate I can keep a full flow going for 8 minutes.

Postby vodkadiet1

Dan-cat wrote:My auntie Nora once farted for 5 minutes

At least it wasn't your auntie Doris!!

Postby vodkadiet1

Alex0paul wrote:There are no geniuses in snooker for god sake

Heavy words so lightly thrown and bang on the money.

Although I hear Olivier Marteel's skills as a surgeon are borderline genius.

Postby shanew48

vodkadiet1 wrote:

I'm sure he isn't a surgeon? more of a healthcare assistant I thought?

Postby Alex0paul

shanew48 wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:

He wipes baboons shiny behinds for a living

Postby shanew48

Alex0paul wrote:
shanew48 wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:

He wipes baboons shiny behinds for a living

Yes, I didn't think he was a surgeon, thank you for confirming that he is in fact an healthcare assistant in such a eloquent way.

Postby vodkadiet1

McManusFan wrote:Healthcare assistant? I think he's a nurse. They had a great feature on him at the worlds just gone.

Anyone who is a nurse in Britain is a genius just for having the mindset to tolerate the way the Tories treat them and carrying on.

Postby shanew48

McManusFan wrote:Healthcare assistant? I think he's a nurse. They had a great feature on him at the worlds just gone.

I saw that, it was so effusive that I thought Rob Walker was actually going to fellate him at one point.

Postby Andre147

shanew48 wrote:

I saw that, it was so effusive that I thought Rob Walker was actually going to fellate him at one point.

<laugh>

It was a good feature, and it's always nice a referee gets recognition, and a well deserved one.

Postby Pink Ball

vodkadiet1 wrote:

genius
/ˈdʒiːnɪəs/
noun
exceptional intellectual or creative power or other natural ability.

To be honest, I don't see anything there that would suggest snooker can't have a genius. Any walk of life can. I know some people only think of intellectual prowess, but there's nothing to suggest the term can only apply to that.

Postby vodkadiet1

Pink Ball wrote:And following that definition, I'd have no hesitation in describing Ronnie O'Sullivan as a genius.

Definitions of words only relate to its author.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Pink Ball wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:

genius
/ˈdʒiːnɪəs/
noun
exceptional intellectual or creative power or other natural ability.

To be honest, I don't see anything there that would suggest snooker can't have a genius. Any walk of life can. I know some people only think of intellectual prowess, but there's nothing to suggest the term can only apply to that.

Indeed.

Postby Holden Chinaski

vodkadiet1 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:And following that definition, I'd have no hesitation in describing Ronnie O'Sullivan as a genius.

Wrong. What the dictionary says is right. What you think it means is wrong.

Postby vodkadiet1

Holden Chinaski wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:

Semantics. There are many different definitions of many words.

Anyway, regardless of what you think any given word means I have never known a genius to be so relatively unsuccessful in their field in comparison with other geniuses.

The least successful genius ever?

Postby Holden Chinaski

vodkadiet1 wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:

Semantics. There are many different definitions of many words.

Anyway, regardless of what you think any given word means I have never known a genius to be so relatively unsuccessful in their field in comparison with other geniuses.

The least successful genius ever?

All the dictionaries I've checked say basically the same thing. Words do not have 'many different definitions'. Otherwise, how could people have a conversation if we all use our own different and incorrect definitions of words?

Postby Holden Chinaski

If the most successful people in your field of work call you a genius, there might be something to it. I've heard people like Hendry, Davis, Reardon, Higgins and MJW call Ronnie a snooker genius. Obviously, they are not saying he's a genius like Einstein. They are talking about his incredible ability as a snooker player.

Postby Iranu

vodkadiet1 wrote:Definitions of words only relate to its author.

vodkadiet1 wrote:Semantics. There are many different definitions of many words.

Uh... then why should we listen to yours?

Postby vodkadiet1

Iranu wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:Definitions of words only relate to its author.

vodkadiet1 wrote:Semantics. There are many different definitions of many words.

Uh... then why should we listen to yours?

You shouldn't. There is so much rubbish spoken on the internet, on this and many other forums. You have every right to decide that everything I type is total rubbish, and I have the right to decide that things others write are total rubbish.

It doesn't really matter to me if many people cannot understand the meaning of words and how to use them in the correct context.

Postby vodkadiet1

Holden Chinaski wrote:If the most successful people in your field of work call you a genius, there might be something to it. I've heard people like Hendry, Davis, Reardon, Higgins and MJW call Ronnie a snooker genius. Obviously, they are not saying he's a genius like Einstein. They are talking about his incredible ability as a snooker player.

They are all great snooker players but that doesn't translate in to knowing what the precise meaning of words are.

Genuine geniuses in actual fact are brilliant at many things. Unless I have missed something, O'Sullivan is positively ordinary at just about everything else.

Postby Iranu

vodkadiet1 wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:If the most successful people in your field of work call you a genius, there might be something to it. I've heard people like Hendry, Davis, Reardon, Higgins and MJW call Ronnie a snooker genius. Obviously, they are not saying he's a genius like Einstein. They are talking about his incredible ability as a snooker player.

They are all great snooker players but that doesn't translate in to knowing what the precise meaning of words are.

Genuine geniuses in actual fact are brilliant at many things. Unless I have missed something, O'Sullivan is positively ordinary at just about everything else.

I think you’re thinking of polymaths.

Postby Holden Chinaski

vodkadiet1 wrote:

It looks to me like they know exactly what the word means. You don't.

Postby vodkadiet1

Holden Chinaski wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:

:roll:

Postby Holden Chinaski

vodkadiet1 wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:

:roll:

Their definition of the word is exactly the same as what all dictionaries say it is. Your definition is not right. No big deal, we can all learn something new every day.

Postby vodkadiet1

The word 'genius' the way many are referring to it is an intangible anyway. Who decides who is a genius and who isn't? It isn't a fact that anyone is a genius because a certain amount of people say it. Far more would say it isn't the case. Most people saying saying O'Sullivan is a genius aren't very bright, and are biased anyway, either through being a fanboy/girl or living in that snooker bubble where they lose the concept of reality.

If there was an actual genius in any sport they would hardly ever lose. A young Garry Kasparov would be much nearer the mark.