Post a reply

Most amount of frames won needing snookers

Postby Juddernaut88

One thing that has always interested me is which player has won the most number of frames needing snookers? I can imagine it would probably be Selby, Higgins or Steve Davis.
I would really love to see like a top 10 list of this. I don't know if there is anyone that has this sort of information at all? I can't find anything unforunately.

Re: Most amount of frames won needing snookers

Postby mick745

Snooker unfortunately is not very well served with statistics, even such simple tasks as frame and match times, shots played, fouls, etc are not routinely released or published despite i suspect the information being recorded on electronic scoring systems.

There wont be any official list kept anywhere for something like this.

I would have though very few frames were won at professional level from snookers needed stage, i suspect 5% or fewer.

Postby SnookerEd25

Trawling around trying to find the answer to this, I have had no joy so far but did unearth this gem of information :

Bob Clark entered the Seniors competition in the Pontins Open 2007. His son and partner came to watch and decided to go shopping. Two and a half hours later they returned and were surprised to find the match still in progress. On asking what frame it was they were shocked to hear it was still the first. This frame involved three reracks and lasted 2 hours and 50 mins!

Postby Andre147

I think Mike Hallet also won a deciding frame at the Masters requiring 5 snookers, if I'm not mistaken it was in 1988.

He then lost 9-0 in the Final lol

Postby vodkadiet1

Andre147 wrote:I think Mike Hallet also won a deciding frame at the Masters requiring 5 snookers, if I'm not mistaken it was in 1988.

He then lost 9-0 in the Final lol

It was 5 snookers on the yellow.

Postby vodkadiet1

Phil Yates mentioned in commentary recently that someone won a frame after needing 9 snookers at a qualifier at The Norbreck Castle. It could just be folklore.

Postby Juddernaut88

Sorry I may not have been completely clear but I'm looking for information on how many times players have won frames needing snookers so for example there have been 2 occasions I remember where Stephen Hendry won a frame needing snookers. He may have done it another one or two times possibly but would be nice to know the exact figures. Selby, Higgins and Davis have probably done it numerous times and I would not be surprised if they have done it 20+ times, It would be great if there was a list of this to see which player has won the most number of frames needing snookers and to see what the numbers look like.

Postby vodkadiet1

Billy Snaddon won a frame after needing 4 snookers on the brown against Dene O'Kane in the penultimate frame of a match in a tournament sometime, somewhere. O'Kane needed the frame to win the match. He lost the frame and the following frame to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. It was a long time ago.

A long, long time ago I can still remember how that snooker used to make me smile....

Postby SnookerEd25

The sort of information you’re looking for will certainly not be out there I’m afraid. I think there are probably a lot more frames won from needing a single snooker than you would imagine but unless Phil Yates has been filling exercise books with them, we’ll never know.

Also interesting, I find, is when players need a snooker (or multiple snookers), get them - yet go on to lose the frame anyway. This also seems to happen a lot more than you would expect but, again, we’ll likely never get a true figure.

Postby SnookerEd25

Hendry has almost certainly done it on more than teo occasions in professional play. I would imagine, over the course of his career, he’s probably somewhere around a dozen or so if not many more.

Postby vodkadiet1

Thorburn was 7 frames down and 74 behind with 4 reds left in the final of The Goya in 1985 against White and won the frame and went on to win 12-10.

White got his revenge a few months later when he got a snooker on the final pink of the final frame and beat Thorburn 12-11.

Postby Wildey

Juddernaut88 wrote:Sorry I may not have been completely clear but I'm looking for information on how many times players have won frames needing snookers so for example there have been 2 occasions I remember where Stephen Hendry won a frame needing snookers. He may have done it another one or two times possibly but would be nice to know the exact figures. Selby, Higgins and Davis have probably done it numerous times and I would not be surprised if they have done it 20+ times, It would be great if there was a list of this to see which player has won the most number of frames needing snookers and to see what the numbers look like.

you should take a bow remembering frames Hendry won needing snooker has been genius lol

Postby Wildey

What you have to remember is back in the 70s and 80s there must have been more won needing snookers than in the modern day the gulf back then between top and bottom players was massive and the craft of Reardon to extract snookers from players was brilliant. Back then a good safety was length against a lot of players.