Post a reply

Re: Genuine Ranking final upsets against a top player ?

Postby Empire State Human

shanew48 wrote:One part of the criteria that I forgot to add is that the victory final has to be the players only ranking event win of their whole career, surely that pre requisite would make chaperone the clear winner? I won't add anymore things onto the criteria I promise!

If you want a single ranking winner, then as already mentioned Dave Harold, ranked 93, beat Darren Morgan, ranked 33, in the Asian Open of 1993. Harold also beat Hendry on the way. Had to check, but yeah, that was Harold's only ranking win.

The 87-88 rankings (the ones used prior to the '89 British Open) had Chaperon ranked 41 and Higgins at 9. Perhaps not the biggest shock that Chaperon beat Higgins, since Higgins was well in decline at that point, although I can't remember if his ranking was affected by forfeited points at that time. And a lot of seeds crashed out early in that British Open tournament. Apparently he beat Robert Marshall (who?) 9-5 in the semi-finals. Chaperon was an oddity because he only reached one other quarter-final (the Grand Prix).