Post a reply

Re: Dave H focus on Ali Carter

Postby Roland

Did you see the match John? How about the clearance in frame 4?

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

I'd love to say I did see it Sonny but I didn't. I had the Father in-law round all day today giving me a dig out in the house (I don't do DIY well) & got stuck in to all that for the day prepping up for winter.

I only caught Matt Stevens missed 5-4 black off the the spot this morning. :(

Fair play to Ali Carter. Ranking final.

I take it he's cueing well then?

Postby Roland

He beat Selby 6-2 from 2-0 down. I would say so.

Seriously, I've never seen him play so well. Everything he looked at went in.

Not many will be doing that to Mark Selby, that's for sure.

How come Jamie Cope played so dire? Any ideas/inclinations? From what I've picked up, it wasn't as if Jamie Burnett played out of his skin to win.
Be a bit ironic if Burnett won it tho wouldn't it. I can't see it happening myself, but I wouldn't have backed against Mark Selby getting beat against most 2-0 up in a best of 11.

Postby Roland

Burnett played well, make no mistake but as soon as it went to 3-0 then Cope's head dropped just like it did against Carter at Sheffield. He had chances after that but took about 2 seconds on important shots and played pots that weren't physically on. So frustrating. If he learned to step back and consider and watch his matches then he might learn something.

Postby GJ

Sonny wrote:Burnett played well, make no mistake but as soon as it went to 3-0 then Cope's head dropped just like it did against Carter at Sheffield. He had chances after that but took about 2 seconds on important shots and played pots that weren't physically on. So frustrating. If he learned to step back and consider and watch his matches then he might learn something.

Once cope goes a few frames down he just seems to throw the towel in and its a constant pattern not just a one off today

Postby Roland

Afraid so. I think the term is "He needs to sort his head out". As soon as he does, he'll be winning tournaments left right and centre.

Postby GJ

Sonny wrote:Afraid so. I think the term is "He needs to sort his head out". As soon as he does, he'll be winning tournaments left right and centre.

he could be like stevens and never sort his issues out <doh>

Postby Bourne

What does he need to do, see a shrink ? It's not a recent problem either, been happening for far too long. And how galling is it that this Carter thread now talking about Cope <laugh>

What I've noticed about him (Jamie Cope), is that he makes his mind up so quick. When he's flying, no problem, but when he's not, you can see the problems that he can't.

Step back, sit up & take it out, eh?

rubbish scared of missing, is that the reason he hits them so quick?

That's what another top pro's problem was in years gone by, which I learnt.

Postby Roland

It could be. But it was quite ridiculous at the end. Take the last frame for example, he needed one snooker and he had a situation like this (from memory):

And he just got straight down and hit the brown into the black and it was game over. I mean <doh>

Sonny wrote:It could be. But it was quite ridiculous at the end. Take the last frame for example, he needed one snooker and he had a situation like this (from memory):

And he just got straight down and hit the brown into the black and it was game over. I mean <doh>

Can't see it....

Postby Roland

:huh2:

it's just a normal image file. What browser are you using?

Postby GJ

cope is similar to a tennis player called sam querrey as they share the same nickname

would you agree bourne ?

Postby Bourne

GJtheaussiestud wrote:cope is similar to a tennis player called sam querrey as they share the same nickname

would you agree bourne ?

Yes I see that :mosh2:

Postby GJ

Bourne wrote:
GJtheaussiestud wrote:cope is similar to a tennis player called sam querrey as they share the same nickname

would you agree bourne ?

Yes I see that :mosh2:

:afro:

Postby GJ

these are the 2 initials of querrey's nickname see of you can guess what it is

BB

Postby Roland

Bourne wrote:Sh*tgun :redneck:

Yes I read that he holds the record for consecutive aces on tour of 10 so figured it must be that. I'd never heard of him though I must admit.

Postby GJ

brainless buffoon

:afro: <laugh>

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Burnett played well, make no mistake but as soon as it went to 3-0 then Cope's head dropped just like it did against Carter at Sheffield. He had chances after that but took about 2 seconds on important shots and played pots that weren't physically on. So frustrating. If he learned to step back and consider and watch his matches then he might learn something.

his win over davis where he had to fight for everything and id consider copes best Match play win made me think he had turned the corner but he just gave up today again very frustrating.

Postby Smart

Cope is very fragile, from one day seeming to be up for a bit of a battle to the next where he just wants to get down on the shot with minimum thought............... what sort of Cope you get, who knows.

Clearly after losing the opening 2 frames he was starting to think the world was against him, he looked troubled. He missed 3 shots with the rest and several short range shots. Towards the end of the match he was almost making his shot choice whilst on the walk from chair to table, without a proper assessment of the table. I think that is disrespecting the talent he has and personally think there are too many good players in the game currently for Cope to be a winner with the attitude he showed in this match.

<ok>

Postby Bourne

Shotmaster I think ... poor Ali, he's even being outshone by pictures now on his own thread :-(