Post a reply

Re: Dave H focus on Ali Carter

Postby paperbackwriter

As for Hendry's ungraciousness, I kinda like it. Or rather, I find listening to him more absorbing than to most of other players. It's always been like that and now it's interesting to see how he's dealing with new situation, it also says a lot about what the game means for him. There're many players who would probably just annoy me acting similarly, being less charismatic, maybe less passionate. But with him, it's even quite cool, this "who cares?" certainly was for me.

But back to Ali Carter, I don't really think he's a boring personality. Maybe not the most expressive either, but it's definitely not a bad thing (of course, It's all subjective). For example, it's always good to see how he seems to take everything that happens on the table so distantly. It would be bad if every player was like that, but some variety is always nice. I admit I can't imagine him being my favourite player though.

Postby Bourne

Another semi-final for the supposed 'arrogant', 'disaster', 'boring' Carter.

Interested to know if Witz can still name 30 players better than him rofl <laugh> :)

Postby Monique

Carter is like Dave wrote today "mega-consistent". Should he win this he might well end up n°1 next month.
I don't think that we ever had a n°1 that hadn't been a world champion before or at the same time in the modern era?

Postby Wildey

Na in fact the only time a WN1 was not a multi champion of events was Thorburn in 1981.

since then its been Reardon,Davis,Hendry,Higgins,Williams,Ronnie

Postby Casey

Monique wrote:Carter is like Dave wrote today "mega-consistent". Should he win this he might well end up n°1 next month.
I don't think that we ever had a n°1 that hadn't been a world champion before or at the same time in the modern era?

He has never even won a major, never mind a world final!!

Postby GJ

case_master wrote:
Monique wrote:Carter is like Dave wrote today "mega-consistent". Should he win this he might well end up n°1 next month.

ali jankovic will never win one of the 3 majors

:afro:

and for all those moCKing matthew he has 2 majors somthing carter will never have :ahh: :D

Postby GJ

GJtheaussiestud wrote:
case_master wrote:

and for all those mocking matthew today he has 2 majors somthing carter will never have :ahh: :D

Postby Monique

GJtheaussiestud wrote:
case_master wrote:

and for all those moCKing matthew he has 2 majors somthing carter will never have :ahh: :D

That's yet to be seen and I wouldn't bet on it.
Part of the "mocking" Matthew gets is caused not by Matthew himself but by some of his fans who put him on a pedestal where he does not belong. Think about it...
He's a good player but not more than that, and his stubborness not to use the rest is preposterous. Also he's a choker. Hes probably the ONLY ONE player in snooker I would ever brand a choker, but he is one, sadly. He's also fussing around the table without reason, checking and rechecking ... "no Matthew, that ball hasn't moved... ". I must confess it gets on my nerves big time! I don't care if it's mind games or anxiety. It's simply ridiculous when it gets to that level.
Matthew has two major titles, but none since when? 7 years? He's also lost more important matches than anyone else having held a big lead, including 2 WC finals.
Matthew seems to play better this season and to be determined to put the work in. Maybe also he has decided to change a few things in his personal lifestyle and to do what's needed to succeed in his carreer (and to improve his health). I wish he has and if so I will be the first one to support him.

Postby GJ

Monique wrote:
GJtheaussiestud wrote:
case_master wrote:

That's yet to be seen and I wouldn't bet on it.
Part of the "mocking" Matthew gets is caused not by Matthew himself but by some of his fans who put him on a pedestal where he does not belong. Think about it...
He's a good player but not more than that, and his stubborness not to use the rest is preposterous. Also he's a choker. Hes probably the ONLY ONE player in snooker I would ever brand a choker, but he is one, sadly. He's also fussing around the table without reason, checking and rechecking ... "no Matthew, that ball hasn't moved... ". I must confess it gets on my nerves big time! I don't care if it's mind games or anxiety. It's simply ridiculous when it gets to that level.
Matthew has two major titles, but none since when? 7 years? He's also lost more important matches than anyone else having held a big lead, including 2 WC finals.
Matthew seems to play better this season and to be determined to put the work in. Maybe also he has decided to change a few things in his personal lifestyle and to do what's needed to succeed in his carreer (and to improve his health). I wish he has and if so I will be the first one to support him.

well he maybe a choker but he is a top man and his blog entry today after losing shows this any other player who lost in the same way wouldnt have the guts to write such a positive entry, they would have hidden away instead

matthew :afro:

Postby Bourne

Jeez first this Carter topic goes into a conversation about Hendry and Davis and now it's all about Stevens rofl

Postby GJ

Bourne wrote:Jeez first this Carter topic goes into a conversation about Hendry and Davis and now it's all about Stevens rofl

says it all about the player named in the title ;) <laugh>

Postby Wildey

GJ

i think Stevens finding positives in losing is part of the reason hes not won as much as he could have.

you should never as a champion find positives in walking away without a trophy.

Postby Alex0paul

wildJONESEYE wrote:GJ

i think Stevens finding positives in losing is part of the reason hes not won as much as he could have.

What utter rubbish. You should learn from your mistakes in defeat, if you don't you just end up like Hendry is at the moment.

Postby Wildey

Alex0paul WC wrote:

What utter rubbish. You should learn from your mistakes in defeat, if you don't you just end up like Hendry is at the moment.

Hendry at the moment has 7 world, 5 UK 6 Masters go on swap his career with a possitive loser

you talk trash

Postby Alex0paul

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Alex0paul WC wrote:

Hendry at the moment has 7 world, 5 UK 6 Masters go on swap his career with a possitive loser

you talk trash

But what is he doing currently? Doing the same stupid mistakes match after match, not learning and adapting his game.

Postby GJ

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Alex0paul WC wrote:

you talk trash

when was his last title ?

<laugh>

Postby Bourne

Hendry is a legend but right now he's a mug, he should have quit a while back, too stubborn.

Postby Wildey

Nothing but that doesn't mean young players today should strive to learn from losing they should strive to learn what gave hendry 7 worlds,6 masters and 5 UK and it was not taking positives about going home with rubbish all.

Postby Monique

I'm a non believer but I got a religious education so ...

"here is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven--A time to give birth and a time to die; A time to plant and a time to uproot what is planted." (Ecclesiaste 3:1)

For Hendry it's time to give up arrogance and try enjoyment. He's got nothing to prove, has he?

Postby Roland

Monique is right. It is downright stubbornness not to learn to use the rest. It cost him one World Final against Murphy (the left-handed shot) and it's cost him numerous matches since then. I cast my mind back to Bernhard Langer when I think about why Matthew hasn't won more. Langer was the worst putter on the European Tour statistically. He had the yips badly and couldn't sink anything from within 6 feet (not literally otherwise he'd still be on the first :redneck: ) but he went away and concentrated solely on his putting working day and night, and he came back and topped the putting stats on the European Tour a couple of seasons later. From worst to best. Amazing story.

I'm up to 4-3 in the match earlier today and at 4-2 Carter did get a bit of rub of the green. A couple of yellows attempted pots with swerve both landed safe, then he fluked the brown but played a brilliant do or die black to get to 4-3. But there was a telling sign yet again from earlier in the frame.

Faced with a straight forward rest shot red which would have gained ideal position on the black, Matthew chose instead to take on a more difficult red. He got the red, landed not ideal on the black, and got the black but left the same red he turned down earlier. He couldn't reach it so he used his extension and missed it by about 6 inches.

When someone who could have been so good has such an obvious failing you really have to ask why doesn't he address it instead of ignoring it. He thinks he can win with a game which involves taking every alternative to using the rest. And the stupid thing is, I don't remember seeing him miss that many shots when he does use the rest.

And yes, also he does do a lot of walking around the table when under the cosh, and re-studying balls when they haven't moved and the shot to play is there to see. His head is obviously in bits and for that I feel very sorry for him because it's hard when you are feeling the pressure and he obviously feels it a lot. When you're under it you sometimes see problems that aren't there. But this is not going to go away, it will only get worse unless he takes positive steps to address his flaws and the age of 33 time is starting to run out but he still has time to learn how to use the rest and bring it into his game instead of pretending the problem doesn't exist.

Postby Wildey

i agree with you he hasent got the talent to do it how he once did and the arragance of it wont let him change how he plays.

however the way he went about winning is something todays players could learn from he was such a bad loser that you would never here statements like mathew gave from him even today.

Postby Monique

wildJONESEYE wrote:i agree with you he hasent got the talent to do it how he once did and the arragance of it wont let him change how he plays.

however the way he went about winning is something todays players could learn from he was such a bad loser that you would never here statements like mathew gave from him even today.

People cope with disappointment in different ways, Wild. doesn't change anything to the fact that indeed the way Hendry went about winning is something todays players could learn from.

Postby Wildey

monique

it changes everything

thats why nobody coming close to winning what their talent should.

take Murphy only 3 Rankers in 5 years not good enough at the level he should be playing at.

you could blame lack of tournaments but i know in that time Hendry at 22 would have won more than that in the last 5 years.

Postby Monique

wildJONESEYE wrote:monique

it changes everything

take Murphy only 3 Rankers in 5 years not good enough at the level he should be playing at.

you could blame lack of tournaments but i know in that time Hendry at 22 would have won more than that in the last 5 years.

Wild you can't seriously compare Hendry and Murphy can you?
And besides - I know we differ on this, but I genuinly mean it - Hendry at 22 had almost no opposition. Davis struggling and full of doubts, White a maverick, a handfull of players who had been excellent in the early/mid 80th but well past their selling date and another handfull who never won anything and disapeared in nonetyness once the game was opened and the players who entered then came to age.

Postby GJ

Monique wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:monique

it changes everything

Wild you can't seriously compare Hendry and Murphy can you?
And besides - I know we differ on this, but I genuinly mean it - Hendry at 22 had almost no opposition. Davis struggling and full of doubts, White a maverick, a handfull of players who had been excellent in the early/mid 80th but well past their selling date and another handfull who never won anything and disapeared in nonetyness once the game was opened and the players who entered then came to age.

players like mark davis and barry pinhces both almost 40 and now competing in this era would you call them no opposition or are you suggesting their now peaking

<laugh>

Postby Wildey

monique

im talking 2005/2010

Hendry would have won more than Murphy

and Monique i find your atetute to the 90s very disrespectful

and the 90s opposition is reaching semi finals in 2010 so again you are wrong.

Postby Wildey

GJ

you are right they aren't peaking far from it what they doing is using their experiance the same way older over the hill players has always done but for some reason people seem to think Griffiths,Thorburn etc at 40 was rubbish but Mark Davis and Pinches isnt.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:Mark Davis is definitely peaking now

no he isnt peaking now total bullocks.