Post a reply

The "Worst" player that has won all 3 triple crown events?

Postby shanew48

The 11 candidates who have won the WC, Masters and UK Champs are:

Ronnie O'Sullivan

Stephen Hendry

Steve Davis

John Higgins

Mark Selby

Mark Williams

Alex Higgins

Neil Robertson

Terry Griffiths

Shaun Murphy

Judd Trump

I feel it's between Griffiths and Murphy and I'm going for Murphy partly because he is a bit of a sausage and also because he has a poor safety game compared to the others and also his cue ball control isn't top class and because he regularly breaks down on 50 odd either through poor position or just missing something that the other players on the above list wouldn't.

What does everyone else think on the above question and analysis?

The other 10 players who have completed this feat will go down as ATG's but should Murphy be in that category? I feel he shouldn't be.

Ronnie has never respected or rated him, just like he doesn't Wilson, Ronnie respects Ding and really Ding wouldn't be out of place in replacing Murphy would he?

Re: The "Worst" player that has won all 3 triple crown event

Postby shanew48

Of course Ronnie has many flaws as I have highlighted myself on here but one thing he does know about is who is top class and who isn't. Fair enough when the CO92 are retired Wilson will then be ranked in the top 2 or 3 players in the world which shows you how the general standard will have fallen once they are gone in a way.

He doesn't rate Murphy, Wilson, Carter or Selby to a lesser extent as being top class, he rates Ding, Higgins, Robertson and begrudgingly Trump as being top class though.

Postby TheRocket

Griffiths and Murphy are the furthest away from being an ATG so it has to be between them. Murphy is one dimensional but on a good day it works for him and he can outpot and outscore opponents. Griffiths obviously with a different style.

I say Griffiths is the worst but its very close.

Postby Dragonfly

Griffiths might at first glance be seen as an obvious choice. There was nothing spectacular or exceptional about his game.

Having said that he had excellent head to head against Higgins (Alex). Actually was quite the thorn in Hurricanes side. And he did ok against Davis. Ok he got many hammerings but at the time everyone did. He did beat Davis in a few finals.

Obviously Higgins had far more flair and natural talent than Griffiths. I wouldn't have bet on Higgins in any encounter between them though.

Postby Acé

TheRocket wrote:Griffiths and Murphy are the furthest away from being an ATG so it has to be between them. Murphy is one dimensional but on a good day it works for him and he can outpot and outscore opponents. Griffiths obviously with a different style.

I say Griffiths is the worst but its very close.

Definitely has to be Murphy and it's ROS's fault he became a WC in 2005 if ROS kept his head vs Ebdon (he wasn't even being grinded down) he would've smashed up Murphy in the SF

Murphy lucked out in 05' and has overachieved

Postby Acé

shanew48 wrote:Of course Ronnie has many flaws as I have highlighted myself on here but one thing he does know about is who is top class and who isn't. Fair enough when the CO92 are retired Wilson will then be ranked in the top 2 or 3 players in the world which shows you how the general standard will have fallen once they are gone in a way.

He doesn't rate Murphy, Wilson, Carter or Selby to a lesser extent as being top class, he rates Ding, Higgins, Robertson and begrudgingly Trump as being top class though.

Kyren Wilson as #2...shudder to think what state of Snooker has to be in for that to happen

Postby D4P

Acé wrote:Definitely has to be Murphy and it's ROS's fault he became a WC in 2005 if ROS kept his head vs Ebdon (he wasn't even being grinded down) he would've smashed up Murphy in the SF

Defending champion Ronnie O'Sullivan played Peter Ebdon in the first quarter-final. O'Sullivan made two century breaks in the opening session to lead 6–2, then won the first two frames of the second session to lead 8–2. Ebdon won four of the next six frames to trail 6–10 going into the final session. Ebdon's slow, deliberate play in the final session made O'Sullivan lose concentration, having Ebdon win 13–11. At one point during the match, Ebdon took five and a half minutes to make a break of 12, significantly longer than O'Sullivan's maximum break in 1997. During the match, Ebdon took over three minutes on one shot, with O'Sullivan asking an audience member what time it was.

Postby chengdufan

shanew48 wrote:Of course Ronnie has many flaws as I have highlighted myself on here but one thing he does know about is who is top class and who isn't.

pmsl
Please can someone do a montage of who Ronnie has predicted for greatness?

Postby Dragonfly

Whatever people think of him personally he is a fine snooker player who has at some stage beaten all of his contemporaries on the list. I have no doubt he would have some wins over the previous generation players as well.

Murphy at the moment has the same triple crown record as Trump. That will change no doubt but for the moment it's fun to repeat it.

Postby shanew48

It was all very unfortunate how everything panned out in that 2005 WC, I saw an interview with Murphy years later where he said that he had accepted a job as a used car salesman just prior to the WC qualifiers so he was going to pack the game in.

Obviously he went on to qualify and then basically had a purple patch where all of the long pots just kept going in, I'm sure he was helped by the fact that he was relatively unknown to the top players at that time that they didn't have time to figure him out well enough over that 17 day period, also he came up against a nice opponent in Stevens in the final.

Like I say all very unfortunate as we have all have had to contend with his condescension for the last 16 years as a consequence, whereas if he hadn't even qualified that year the only people who would have had to endure Mr condescension would have been prostitutes and anyone searching for a reasonably price saloon! Although no doubt even those short interactions would have felt like 16 years!

Postby SnookerFan

shanew48 wrote:It was all very unfortunate how everything panned out in that 2005 WC, I saw an interview with Murphy years later where he said that he had accepted a job as a used car salesman just prior to the WC qualifiers so he was going to pack the game in.

Obviously he went on to qualify and then basically had a purple patch where all of the long pots just kept going in, I'm sure he was helped by the fact that he was relatively unknown to the top players at that time that they didn't have time to figure him out well enough over that 17 day period, also he came up against a nice opponent in Stevens in the final.

Like I say all very unfortunate as we have all have had to contend with his condescension for the last 16 years as a consequence, whereas if he hadn't even qualified that year the only people who would have had to endure Mr condescension would have been prostitutes and anyone searching for a reasonably price saloon! Although no doubt even those short interactions would have felt like 16 years!

rofl rofl

Postby Johnny Bravo

badtemperedcyril wrote:100% Murphy. He shouldn't even have won the UK - fluked match ball in the decider.

Proves what a tool JB is, not that further evidence was required - the Smurph isn’t fit to lace Griffiths’ boots. Terry is a class act in every respect.

This isn't about who's a class act, it's about who's better between the 2, and that's Smurf.

Even I have a very good chance of beating Griffiths, let alone Smurf.

Postby Prop

Johnny Bravo wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:100% Murphy. He shouldn't even have won the UK - fluked match ball in the decider.

Proves what a tool JB is, not that further evidence was required - the Smurph isn’t fit to lace Griffiths’ boots. Terry is a class act in every respect.

This isn't about who's a class act, it's about who's better between the 2, and that's Smurf.

Yeah yeah, you could beat loads of pros and ex-pros, so you keep saying.

I’d be pretty handy on a miniature snooker table, too.

Postby badtemperedcyril

shanew48 wrote:It was all very unfortunate how everything panned out in that 2005 WC, I saw an interview with Murphy years later where he said that he had accepted a job as a used car salesman just prior to the WC qualifiers so he was going to pack the game in.

:goodpost:

Postby badtemperedcyril

Johnny Bravo wrote:

Well Terry is 73 years old and hasn't played for over ten years so big deal.

:bum:

Postby Johnny Bravo

Prop wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

Yeah yeah, you could beat loads of pros and ex-pros, so you keep saying.

I’d be pretty handy on a miniature snooker table, too.

I play on a regular table.

Postby Johnny Bravo

badtemperedcyril wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

Well Terry is 73 years old and hasn't played for over ten years so big deal.

:bum:

I'm talking about a young version of Griffiths.

Postby LDS

It's usually more fun to decide who is the best of the worst than it is to decide who's the worst of the best, after all, they're all going to be very good players no matter what you say and to try and denigrate the value of any player who's achieved such highs is pretty distasteful and crappy generally IMO.