Post a reply

Re: Queens Honours

Postby TheRocket

Dragonfly wrote:Selby is a bit of a bellend. I really don't know why he's known as the jester. He's mostly bad tempered and a bit of a moaner.It's always eyes to heaven and muttering if he feels he's had a bad run of the balls, or his opponent a good run.

I don't begrudge him playing on for snookers. But the 6 minute shot is a disgrace. And his moaning is annoying.

Exactly. He tries to be funny and jokes around when he just had a fluke or got away with a bad shot. But watch his face and reaction when his opponent gets the run of the balls.

Its obviously not his fault he is called the Jester because it rhymes with Leicester. But he is just that type of guy who is 'humble' and sporting only when he is winning.

If you compare him with someone like Carter for example at least I can say that Carter is always in bad mood. He doesnt try to be funny or joke around when he has a fluke or something like that. Just someone who is bad tempered all the time.

Postby Acé

No one really cares about Selby that's why he's never been the one for the crowd and isn't a big household name like the others who have it, even John Higgins is more popular and more well known.

Selby's a good villain though, he's acted as the spoiler for ROS, Ding and heck, Higgins

He's like the Djokovic of Snooker, acting as a spoiler for Federer and Nadal, "Fedal" which fans just want to see win things.

Postby TheRocket

Acé wrote:No one really cares about Selby that's why he's never been the one for the crowd and isn't a big household name like the others who have it, even John Higgins is more popular and more well known.

Selby's a good villain though, he's acted as the spoiler for ROS, Ding and heck, Higgins

He's like the Djokovic of Snooker, acting as a spoiler for Federer and Nadal, "Fedal" which fans just want to see win things.

yeah ROS,Higgins and Selby are a little bit like Federer,Nadal,Djokovic. You had Federer and Nadal battling it out and ruling the sport before Djokovic, who looked like the eternal number 3 came in and took away a lot of titles from them. But even though he did he's never become as popular as Nadal, let alone Federer.

Ronnie did well to get into a position where is clearly ahead of Higgins and Selby in terms of career stats. Something which Fed unfortunately failed to do. But that World semifinal had such a huge impact. If Selby was on 4 World titles now and Ronnie stuck on 5 with an 0:3 H2H against Selby at the Crucible, things wouldnt look as good as now.

Postby badtemperedcyril

Pink Ball wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:I think the Queen’s Honours are a load of bullocks, and yet I passionately believe Steve Davis should get one.

One what, PB?

A sex penis.

Can’t really argue with that!

Postby LDS

TheRocket wrote:
Acé wrote:No one really cares about Selby that's why he's never been the one for the crowd and isn't a big household name like the others who have it, even John Higgins is more popular and more well known.

yeah ROS,Higgins and Selby are a little bit like Federer,Nadal,Djokovic. You had Federer and Nadal battling it out and ruling the sport before Djokovic, who looked like the eternal number 3 came in and took away a lot of titles from them. But even though he did he's never become as popular as Nadal, let alone Federer.

Ronnie did well to get into a position where is clearly ahead of Higgins and Selby in terms of career stats. Something which Fed unfortunately failed to do. But that World semifinal had such a huge impact. If Selby was on 4 World titles now and Ronnie stuck on 5 with an 0:3 H2H against Selby at the Crucible, things wouldnt look as good as now.

Lol, Selby is extremely popular, a very popular Youtube clickbait title name. Just not on this forum :shrug:

Postby TheRocket

I didnt say Selby isnt popular. He is, compared to many other players. Even though I wouldnt call him extremely popular like you did.

But I compared ROS,Higgins,Selby to the Federer,Nadal,Djokovic triangle. There are definitely similarities. Selby ,like Djokovic came in later and took away a few titles from the two guys who were better than anyone else. But even though he did,he is still only the third best player and least biggest name among that elite group.

Postby LDS

TheRocket wrote:he is still only the third best player and least biggest name among that elite group.

2nd only to O'Sullivan I would have thought. At least to a few hundred million Chinese anyway. Maybe not the UK tabloid audience though, I concede. However many thousands that is nowadays...

Postby TheRocket

I have to admit that Higgins in the Nadal role is a little bit questionable these days. The last time he won a big title has been ages ago.

Still a big household name in Snooker but fell behind a little bit.

Postby shanew48

TheRocket wrote:I have to admit that Higgins in the Nadal role is a little bit questionable these days. The last time he won a big title has been ages ago.

Still a big household name in Snooker but fell behind a little bit.

The only thing I can think Higgins is hanging around for is the adulation? he's lost that consistency that you need to win tournaments and has started missing pots that even Andy Lee would be shocked to not see go in!

Maybe he will prove me completely wrong and win another tournament but I can't really see it myself.

Maybe he will turn into another Jimmy and keep playing on for years and years without hardly winning a match? he will still be more successful than Jimmy as he has much better cue ball control, Jimmy's cue ball control has never actually been top class whereas Higgins has been.

Postby SnookerFan

Can we compare it more to tennis? I was struggling to understand what people meant before you did that.

Postby TheRocket

@Shanew48

I think Higgins said after the 2019 World final that he wants to keep playing as long as he doesnt have to qualify for the Crucible.

So I'd guess if he drops out of the Top16 and fails to get back quickly he'll probably retire.

Cant see any of the class of 92 players turn into a Jimmy. I think Jimmy still believed for a long time that he can win the World title, maybe even now he still thinks he can and thats why he is still playing.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

SnookerFan wrote:Can we compare it more to tennis? I was struggling to understand what people meant before you did that.

I think the point is that Selby should not play for multiple snookers.

This can be explained in analogy to tennis.

Witness the disgraceful gamesmanship of Djokovic in repeatedly trying to win games from 40-0 down.

Postby TheRocket

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Can we compare it more to tennis? I was struggling to understand what people meant before you did that.

Witness the disgraceful gamesmanship of Djokovic in repeatedly trying to win games from 40-0 down.

Selby can play for tenthousand Snookers if he wants to. Just like Ronnie does atm. And take 6 minute for each shot. He is entitled to play any shot he wants. Thats his choice.

But he is inferior to O'Sullivan and Higgins, just like Djokovic is inferior to Federer and Nadal which is why I made that comparison. Still a great player but only the third best compared to his two big rivals.

Postby Dragonfly

Have a much lower opinion of Djokovic these days. Obviously a great player but I am not keen on his covid ignoring and anti vax nonsense

Postby Juddernaut88

There is a thread for tennis please use it.

Postby Iranu

There was nothing disrespectful about either playing on successfully for four snookers which we’ve all seen happen occasionally, or the six minute shot which was clearly Selby’s mind freezing.

Postby Iranu

TheRocket wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:

Selby can play for tenthousand Snookers if he wants to. Just like Ronnie does atm. And take 6 minute for each shot. He is entitled to play any shot he wants. Thats his choice.

But he is inferior to O'Sullivan and Higgins, just like Djokovic is inferior to Federer and Nadal which is why I made that comparison. Still a great player but only the third best compared to his two big rivals.

I’m not sure I’d call Higgins a rival (in the sense of Nadal/Djokovic) although obviously they’ve had the two world finals. They’ve only played in one other ranking final, and one ranking semi and one Masters semi. They haven’t contested enough big matches to have a true rivalry.

Ronnie is Selby’s only real rival in terms of regular big matches (and needle). Career wise, MJW’s more of a rival to Selby than Higgins or anyone else despite pundits comparing him with Judd and Robbo because of ranking wins, in reality he’s comfortably ahead of both at the moment.

Postby TheRocket

I'd say he is a rival. Obviously not to the degree or level Ronnie has been but Selby and Higgins met 5 times at the Crucible, twice in finals which makes it a prolific Crucible rivalry.
Selby actually played him three years on the bounce from 2005-2007 at the Crucible.

I think Higgins was a big rival but probably mostly when Selby had his real breakthrough and became a real topplayer. Lets say around 2007-2010. Thats where they had their best matches.

But in terms of Selbys overall career I have to say his 2nd biggest rival is probably Robbo. But has to be said that Ding also played Selby a lot of times. And the H2H is pretty close. Its just that Selby won those two big matches in 16 and 17.

Postby Iranu

Robbo’s definitely Selby's biggest contemporary rival.

Postby Acé

TheRocket wrote:yeah ROS,Higgins and Selby are a little bit like Federer,Nadal,Djokovic. You had Federer and Nadal battling it out and ruling the sport before Djokovic, who looked like the eternal number 3 came in and took away a lot of titles from them. But even though he did he's never become as popular as Nadal, let alone Federer.

Don't think there's a Nadal equivalent in Snooker in terms of character but as a rivalry yeah Fedal is the closest to the ROS/Higgins rivalry, but Djokovic's equivalent is definitely Selby, the similarities and playing style are the same and the facade of being "Jester from Leicester" and Djokovic being a joker on tour (or he was) when a dishwasher is funnier than both of them

Postby TheRocket

Iranu wrote:Robbo’s definitely Selby's biggest contemporary rival.

Robbo also knows how to beat him. 13:8 in the H2H. I think Selby prefers playing Ronnie over Robbo. Because Robbo can handle Selbys tactics better than Ronnie does. I've seen all of the Selby-Robertson matches over the last few years, many of them were high quality with ultra high pot and safety success but Robbo was the winner everytime.

Robbos weakness obviously is that he chooses a braindead tactic sometimes and gets into overthinking mode like he did at the WC. But that had nothing to with Selby. Thats just Robbo and he did it against all kind of opposition over the years and it cost him.

Postby Iranu

Acé wrote:Don't think there's a Nadal equivalent in Snooker in terms of character but as a rivalry yeah Fedal is the closest to the ROS/Higgins rivalry, but Djokovic's equivalent is definitely Selby, the similarities and playing style are the same and the facade of being "Jester from Leicester" and Djokovic being a joker on tour (or he was) when a dishwasher is funnier than both of them

Plus Nadal’s French Open dominance doesn’t really translate to snooker, either.

The truth is tennis comparisons are just pretty limited <laugh>

Postby TheRocket

Acé wrote:
TheRocket wrote:yeah ROS,Higgins and Selby are a little bit like Federer,Nadal,Djokovic. You had Federer and Nadal battling it out and ruling the sport before Djokovic, who looked like the eternal number 3 came in and took away a lot of titles from them. But even though he did he's never become as popular as Nadal, let alone Federer.

Don't think there's a Nadal equivalent in Snooker in terms of character but as a rivalry yeah Fedal is the closest to the ROS/Higgins rivalry, but Djokovic's equivalent is definitely Selby, the similarities and playing style are the same and the facade of being "Jester from Leicester" and Djokovic being a joker on tour (or he was) when a dishwasher is funnier than both of them

I've always seen it like this. Higgins in the Nadal role is probably the most questionable one because he just didnt do much damage over the last 10 years and couldnt go toe to toe with Ronnie and lacks the titles now. But other than that, I mean if you look at legacy, style of play, it really fits lol.

Laver = Joe Davis
Borg = Steve Davis
McEnroe = Alex Higgins
Sampras = Hendry
Federer = ROS
Nadal = John Higgins
Djokovic = Selby

Postby Iranu

TheRocket wrote:Robbos weakness obviously is that he chooses a braindead tactic sometimes and gets into overthinking mode like he did at the WC. But that had nothing to with Selby. Thats just Robbo and he did it against all kind of opposition over the years and it cost him.

Yep, you even saw it in the UK final a few weeks ago although he just about managed to win that one.

It’s why I think he’s actually not very likely to win another World Title. At some point he’ll have a match or at least a session where the pressure scrambles his brain and he goes into Pythagoras mode and bucks himself over.

Postby Acé

TheRocket wrote:I've always seen it like this. Higgins in the Nadal role is probably the most questionable one because he just didnt do much damage over the last 10 years and couldnt go toe to toe with Ronnie and lacks the titles now. But other than that, I mean if you look at legacy, style of play, it really fits lol.

Laver = Joe Davis
Borg = Steve Davis
McEnroe = Alex Higgins
Sampras = Hendry
Federer = ROS
Nadal = John Higgins
Djokovic = Selby

McEnroe/ Alex Higgins and Sampras/Hendry is a good one lol didn't think of that

Postby Acé

We need a Nick Kyrgios for Snooker for the pure entertainment and mind fukkery

Postby TheRocket

Iranu wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Robbos weakness obviously is that he chooses a braindead tactic sometimes and gets into overthinking mode like he did at the WC. But that had nothing to with Selby. Thats just Robbo and he did it against all kind of opposition over the years and it cost him.

Yep, you even saw it in the UK final a few weeks ago although he just about managed to win that one.

It’s why I think he’s actually not very likely to win another World Title. At some point he’ll have a match or at least a session where the pressure scrambles his brain and he goes into Pythagoras mode and bucks himself over.

yeah the slow play in the end was a joke really. It was Pythagoras to the highest possible level.

I agree that Robbo will probably not win another World title. That Pythagoras thing will stay forever with him. Also the pressure will be mounting the older he gets. He'll be in his 40's soon.