Post a reply

Re: Who is your second-favourite player?

Postby Dan-cat

Good morning :-)

This is actually quite tough for me to answer, but I would pick Teppy Lad, if I was forced to choose.

I like a lot of modern players, obviously the Dreamboat is up there, but he hardly ever does anything and can be frustrating, despite being ranked 15th. Also Willo (silky smooth, his comeback was so exciting), Ding, Trump, Brecelery, Xiao, Higgins (pure class, learned a lot from him about playing the right shot), Selby (for his inventive pool-like shotmaking and general beastliness when on form), and Robbo (when not in Pythagoras mode, as mentioned above), Mags for his gnarliness. Sunny is interesting, but don't have much faith in him breaking through.

Postby SnookerEd25

I don’t have a favourite player, but my second favourite is Billy-Joe Castle : he has a super outlook on life <ok>

Postby HustleKing

Neil favorite, Ding 2nd favorite.

Although that is liable to change to any two overseas players (my favourite used to be Fu before he declined and it won't be long before Bingtao goes ahead of Ding into 2nd because Ding does not look far off from a sharp decline)

Postby csprince

don't really have a 2nd favourite but i do like watching trump robertson murphy allen fu williams jimmy in his prime ryan day and a prime stevens past favourite's hallett stevens robidoux loved reardon least favourite selby and john higgins people like cliff wilson and tony drago were great to watch.

Postby Iranu

Dan-cat wrote:Good morning :-)

This is actually quite tough for me to answer, but I would pick Teppy Lad, if I was forced to choose.

I like a lot of modern players, obviously the Dreamboat is up there, but he hardly ever does anything and can be frustrating, despite being ranked 15th. Also Willo (silky smooth, his comeback was so exciting), Ding, Trump, Brecelery, Xiao, Higgins (pure class, learned a lot from him about playing the right shot), Selby (for his inventive pool-like shotmaking and general beastliness when on form), and Robbo (when not in Pythagoras mode, as mentioned above), Mags for his gnarliness. Sunny is interesting, but don't have much faith in him breaking through.

You’re not allowed to like Ronnie and Saltby, it’s illegal donchaknow!

Isn’t Thep just as frustrating as Dreamboat?

Postby Dan-cat

True Iranu (re Teppy Lad), I've always had a soft spot for him because of my ties to Thailand (pun intended) - one of my Dads lived there for ten years and I have friends there, and another group of friends run the fabulous Wonderfruit festival just outside Bangkok, which I've attended twice in recent years. The thai people are incredible silly and kind, the best combo for me.

Also, I felt for him so badly when he missed that black for a maxi in the UK. I was watching that live and I was so excited for him, he would have earned a much needed £44k (massive to him at the time, although I don't think he knew that was the money on offer - the maxi pot had rolled over a lot)... when he missed, I felt his pain like a shockwave through my body it was weird.

Postby Prop

This is more difficult to answer than I thought it would be. If we’re including all-time, Jimmy was always the man to watch (at least until Ronnie turned up). So Jimmy White would be my all-time number 2 in that case.

But if we’re talking current players, it’s even harder to answer. Xintong is someone I really get into watching - he’s still very raw, and obviously young, so I find it interesting following his development. Then there are a whole bunch that I’ll make time to watch. Lisowski, Trump, Teppy, Robbo and more. Holty always gets my support, being a local player and seemingly a good lad.

So yes, a bit of a vague answer, but there you go.

Postby sundaygirl

My second favourite is Ricky Walden, sorry Ricky

Bizarrely Matthew and Ricky hadn’t really played an important match against each other before Judgment day this year and when forced to choose it turned out I was still and forever #TeamStevens

Postby FoulNMiss

Technically it might be Ochoiski first, Ronnie second followed by the Royal Thai army (Wattana previously, Thepchaiya/Akani/Noppon for now).
But if only top players are taken in consideration, 1- Ronnie, 2- Robbo, 3- MJW, 100%. I didn’t have known him in his prime, but surely Jimmy stands here too.

Postby badtemperedcyril

In history, Fred Davis, Cliff Wilson, John Parrott.

As something of a mystery man, who had something of a dark cult following in the 60’s and regarded as the best ever hustler - Pat Houlihan.

Always had a soft spot for Marco Fu.

Presently, Zhao Xintong and Jack Lisowski - talented and exciting... and rather lovely too.

Postby Juddernaut88

sundaygirl wrote:My third favourite player (not that you asked)
Probably Ding
Though I did have Jacky lined up to sub for Ricky if his slump continued

I hope Judd is somewhere in your top 5 lol

Postby sundaygirl

Don’t take this the wrong way
But No (sorry)
This is about favourites not who is the best
And my taste is a bit more esoteric and Judd like Ronnie before him is a bit too obvious

Postby Dan-cat

badtemperedcyril wrote:In history, Fred Davis, Cliff Wilson, John Parrott.

As something of a mystery man, who had something of a dark cult following in the 60’s and regarded as the best ever hustler - Pat Houlihan.

Presently, Zhao Xintong and Jack Lisowski - talented and exciting... and rather lovely too.

The Pat Houlihan story is remarkable. Stymied by Joe Davis for playing money matches.

Postby badtemperedcyril

Dan-cat wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:In history, Fred Davis, Cliff Wilson, John Parrott.

The Pat Houlihan story is remarkable. Stymied by Joe Davis for playing money matches.

The only known footage of him is potting a pink ball in his cameo role in the 1984 Bob Geldof film Number One. Have you seen it?

He must have been a heck of a player by the way in which he won the English Amateur in 1965.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:I have it on DVD. Not seen it yet though.

‘tis on YouTube, annoyingly in several different parts, but intact if you watch them in the right order

Postby SnookerFan

Johnny Bravo wrote:Ronnie is my childhood hero.
2nd favorite is Trump cause he's a flair player that plays amazing spin shots.
3rd favorite is Allen (in your face SF)

You are nobody's favourite poster.