Post a reply

Will Ronnie ever beat Judd again?

Yes
40%
No
60%

Total votes : 30

Re: Will Ronnie ever beat Judd again...?

Postby Iranu

Juddernaut88 wrote:
Dragonfly wrote:O'Sullivan will beat Trump again of course. But it may be a best of 7 or best of 9. No doubt that Trump has the upper hand now in finals.

What O'Sullivan needs to happen is that Trump meets Wilson in early rounds of events. Then after Kyren disposes of Trump, Ronnie then steps in to claim the event.

Judd has beaten Kyren Wilson in 4 of there last 7 meetings so I don't know why people are making out Kyren always beats him these days. This isn't 2018 anymore!

Yeah bit harsh to say Kyren always beats him. But for him to have an almost even record against a player who is far better than him says a lot.

He seems to be a similar “spoiler” for Judd as Ebdon was for Ronnie. Even though Ronnie’s head to head against Ebdon is 21-12, the impression has always been that Ebdon causes him problems because of the high profile losses he's had to him and at the moment it’s a similar story with Judd and Kyren.

Postby Ck147

Dan-cat wrote:I am assuming the people saying no are merely taking the p*ss

Nope

Postby vodkadiet1

Is this a serious question? O'Sullivan was 60% and still nearly won. Trump needs to improve quite a lot before he has O'Sullivan's number. He should have buried O'Sullivan 9-3.

Postby D4P

It's a serious question, and to ask it is not necessarily to imply that the answer is "No".

They don't play each other very often these days (given their high rankings), and will only be meeting (if at all) in the SF or F for the next few years. Setting aside the question of whether Judd is "better" than Ronnie at this point in time, there seems little doubt that Judd is investing more into snooker these days and is also more committed to winning events (especially, non-major events) than Ronnie is. It took a big collapse from Judd at the 2019 TC for Ronnie to win, and if Judd had won that would have meant 5 wins in a row now against Ronnie. Not to mention that the 2019 TC was before Judd won the WSC, after which he has arguably been a different player, who hasn't looked nearly as shaky at closing out Ronnie as he did back then.

Postby vodkadiet1

I would be very happy if O'Sullivan never beat Trump again but it is wholly unrealistic to think it won't happen again. I would say it is about 33/1 it never happening again.

Very peculiar that the last three Ulster finals have ended by the same score by the same player over another player.

It is like a Davis Cup score before they switched to tie break sets in 1988.

Trump beat O'Sullivan 9-7, 9-7, 9-7.

Postby Dragonfly

Perhaps a better question to ask is will Trump ever get near to what O'Sullivan has achieved. And I don't mean this 6 titles in one season stuff.

I mean will Trump ever win 7 Masters. 6 worlds and so on.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Dragonfly wrote:Perhaps a better question to ask is will Trump ever get near to what O'Sullivan has achieved. And I don't mean this 6 titles in one season stuff.

Indeed.

Postby Cloud Strife

Dragonfly wrote:Perhaps a better question to ask is will Trump ever get near to what O'Sullivan has achieved. And I don't mean this 6 titles in one season stuff.

Simple answer to that question is a resounding no.

Postby HustleKing

Cloud Strife wrote:

Simple answer to that question is a resounding no.

I'd give him the next five years or so to 2025.

If Trump makes a big dent into Ronnie's lead in that regard in that time, he'll have a chance to break those records, but time is not on his side because of an underwhelming period in his 20's.

Postby TheSaviour

Longer than best of 9 - Nope, he won´t. But still, please, just keep on reading this. Or at least a highly, highly unlikely. Ronnie has been below par now since the last worlds. I must say I like the lad and his previous rather solid performances but I guessed it right he can´t now handle the situation of being a reignning world champion. What is Ronnie O´Sullivan thinking? He is thinking that he posses the title now, and he does need to do something fresh again, and it is costing to him. He hardly is threatening the century-lists anymore, or can be stated that he isn´t any, only an odd one every now and then. The way he has played those exhibitions over the last few years gives a great hope, but now he has messed his mentality once again. He hasn´t been practising that much, which is strange and that is also costing to him. I mean that he´s too strange at the moment, and it is costing to he.

But no-one want´s to see John Higgins making an over 70 breaks on each frame, or even Judd Trump to do the same.

What can be done?

And, now all of them are trying the new street-concept... Trying to please, trying to delight. It is just too late now anymore. I hold all the answers and won´t be any cheap now. The rel intelligence isn´t just typing a two or 3 words and then claiming to be intelligent person. For example. That´s rubbish.

We all now need to be prepared for the extremely sad news really soon, I am really sorry to state that. But that´s just the truth. Nothing will change this misery anymore. It is a matter or a few hours, really sadly so. All the current street-pleasing and delighting won´t do the trick. There´s absolutely natural anymore. Any given move they make is a calculated one. And I do know what day it is now, and what they all fancy to do during wed and thu. I would also if I would involved. Only those who "work" reveice their, er, "prizes" always during wed and thu. Other days - no way, absolutely nothing. Just the what they classified as a normal persons receive their, er, "prizes" during those days.. And once can tell, of how are behaving. Because they never aren´t.

Or will this current pleasing-style of their keep on happening on an any given day from now on? That finally would be something.. Just a bit too late to me, sorry.

The last few strange hours of Shaun Murphy.

We and all they are about to lose their key-person soon, so sadly so. What they will do then?

And guess what was rather suspicous also; Ben Woollaston lost to Andy Hicks, UK, UK, UK. That´s hihgly suspicous, to put it a very mildly. Ben´s level just been such, and now matter how much would like the idea, just can´t see Andy Hicks suddenly starting to perform.. They just wanted me out, and a very soon they will.

Ronnie currently is rubbish. The lads like Ding Junhui, Marting Gould, Yan Bingtao, Stuart Bingham and Ali Carter just keeps on bottling those matches away, which helps Ronnie O´Sullivan with no end. But Judd´s just pure class at the moment. The way he can make those solid decision does all the damage. It isn´t any rocket science, never has been, never will be, no reason why it should be such. Because when it is, they without an execption bottle all those tight matches away, or starting to acting just too strangely as Ronnie now has. Judd´s decision to round the cue ball or to pick a red is just simple and a working one strategy.

Best of 7 - sure, Ronnie still can beat him. Best of 9 - perhaps also, but only with the following notes and hints; If Ronnie keeps on developing his safety-selections during the beginning of the frames we or to be more precise, you, can still wittnes a miracle!

Postby SnookerEd25

TheSaviour wrote:
But no-one want´s to see John Higgins making an over 70 breaks on each frame, or even Judd Trump to do the same.

What can be done?

We introduce a new rivalry for the modern era - Shaun Murphy v. Lee Walker - and sit back and watch the fireworks as snooker regains it's rightful place atop the British sporting charts.

Trebles all round! :party:

Postby Acé

Hot take

ROS would rather face Selby these days than Trump, why? cuz when a young ATTACKING player like Judd's in their prime it becomes mightily difficult to outscore and out-attack a youngster who's 14 years younger than you, it's physics and natural, happens in every sport

but as years have passed Ros has become more patient while his prime has obviously diminished, however because he's become a bit more patient his results over Selby have improved after the 2014 loss, he doesn't need his prime scoring to beat Selby as B level scoring will be enough, Selby's not gonna outscore or blow Ronnie of the table ROS knows that so nowadays he'd prefer to face Selby than Judd who has the potential to blow him off the table while not getting many chances, he needs his A-A+ scoring to compete with Judd now along with A-A+ safety. vs Selby B-B+ scoring and A-A+ safety is enough, he can afford to miss vs Selby, he knows he'll get chances.

Postby TheRocket

There is no doubt imo that Judd is a worse match up for Ronnie now than Selby is. I think anyone would agree with that now.

You summed it up. Past his prime Ronnie is still a better scorer than Selby is and he doesnt need to worry about getting overpowered and outplayed by his opponent. Which means less pressure.
He'll always get his chances but needs to be patient and thats where he seems to have improved despite the decline.

Against Trump its obviously different. He'll just destroy you if he even gets a sniff of a chance to score. So ROS has to be at his peak scoring form to match him. Problem is, the older he gets the less he will be able to keep up his peak scoring level over long distance and periods.

Postby Acé

TheRocket wrote:There is no doubt imo that Judd is a worse match up for Ronnie now than Selby is. I think anyone would agree with that now.

You summed it up. Past his prime Ronnie is still a better scorer than Selby is and he doesnt need to worry about getting overpowered and outplayed by his opponent. Which means less pressure.
He'll always get his chances but needs to be patient and thats where he seems to have improved despite the decline.

Against Trump its obviously different. He'll just destroy you if he even gets a sniff of a chance to score. So ROS has to be at his peak scoring form to match him. Problem is, the older he gets the less he will be able to keep up his peak scoring level over long distance and periods.

You put it more eloquently than I did lol thanks bro

Postby TheRocket

ROS vs Trump was always an even rivalry right from the start actually. No one's ever had a H2H lead of more than 2 wins. Biggest lead Trump has had in the H2H was 6:4 and Ronnie was 8:6 and 12:10 at one stage.

Would have liked to see how the younger ROS of the early to mid 00's would have fared but we'll never know.

But now we're at a stage where the age factor will kick in and Trump will probably dominate.

Postby Acé

ROS record in ranking events is still insane though, something like 2/3.

Last player he lost a ranking final too that WASN'T Judd Trump was 2016 vs Selby at the UK champs.
Last player he lost a ranking final to that WASN'T Judd Trump AND Mark Selby was 2010 Robertson

the ranking event losses aren't THAT bad if you think about it, last 3 losses all happened at Northern ireland compared to say a WC final or a UK final like the Selby losses so it's not really career defining or career hampering

still won the WC lmao

Postby Acé

but for some odd reason, the Northern Ireland is the one event out of 20 other events ROS keeps making a deep run in outside of a TC event and keeps meeting Trump LOL

Postby Andre147

No doubt ROS prefers Selby to Trump nowadays, how things have changed lol... not only because of age, but like you both said ROS needs his A scoring game to stand a good chance against Trump.

But this isn't to say he'll stop winning matches against Trump, he'll still have a few more wins against him I believe, they just won't be that frequent like before.

Postby Andre147

Acé wrote:but for some odd reason, the Northern Ireland is the one event out of 20 other events ROS keeps making a deep run in outside of a TC event and keeps meeting Trump LOL

Don't forget Shanghai Masters... he's actually the 3 time defending champion, just like Trump at the NI.

Difference is Shanghai stopped being a ranker in 2018.

Postby Holden Chinaski

The_Abbott wrote:Passing of the torch. The old Guard are passing the baton on.

Or whatever the snooker equivalent is.

So No is my answer.

WRONG!

Judd dropped the torch, fell over it, and choked on the baton. He is now Ronnie's bunny.

Postby The_Abbott

Holden Chinaski wrote:
The_Abbott wrote:Passing of the torch. The old Guard are passing the baton on.

Or whatever the snooker equivalent is.

So No is my answer.

WRONG!

Judd dropped the torch, fell over it, and choked on the baton. He is now Ronnie's bunny.

Well if that happened then I can see why Ronnie won. Is Judd OK? Did he require hospital?

Postby TheRocket

Since 2011 its been the pattern in this rivalry that someone wins around 3-4 matches in a row and looks like he is in control and then the other guy comes back and does the same.

Ronnie has got his 3 wins in a row now after Judd had his 3 wins before that.